We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long haul with kids

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Long haul with kids

I'm thinking of going long haul next year but cannot decide which place to visit.

Will have a 12 yr old and OH.. Top of the list is Cuba, Domican Republic, Barbados, Mexico... possbily as last resort Sharm el Shelkh ( i know not long haul,.. but only place not visited in Egypt )

Any ideas which will cater best for a 12 yr old entertainement , kids clubs, location of hotels best family resorts etc.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,761 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long haul with kids

I've been to Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Barbados, but not Egypt.............I'm partial to Mexico, but all of those places have family oriented hotels/accommodation, and beachfront locations...........it's also pretty standard at family resorts to have kids clubs nowadays - there isn't really a "best", although I find some areas of Mexico to have more "off resort" activities than Cuba or the DR...........you don't say if you're looking for all-inclusive....Cuba and Dominican Republic are almost exclusively all inclusive resorts....Mexico has many as well, but they also have a fair amount of accommodation that's not all-in too......it really depends on where in the country you go - Barbados has very few all inclusives..........

Cuba is my least favorite of those 4, and I don't plan to return.....there are far too many complaints across the board of poor quality of food, lack of food and alcohol choices, and sand flea bites...that said, there are still many who enjoy Cuba.......trade embargos have made it very difficult to get supplies to the island and I think is shows, even as far as the dated, slightly worn furniture at many places....in order to find the most suitable location for you to visit, you are best to do research and try questions on the actual destination forums, where your queries will be seen by the local experts who can advise you..........for Cuba, you could try Varadero, Holguin, Cayo Coco as some locations, in the DR Punta Cana is my fave, but also try Puerto Plata or Boca Chica or Sosua...in Mexico I've been to the Riviera Maya, Playa Del Carmen, Playa Paraiso, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Riviera Nayarit, Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo plus............they are all worth looking into IMO............

Anywhere in this post you see blue text indicates a TA link to the local forum and more information about that area............simply click on the link to transfer.................safe and happy travels.........

Edited: 21 August 2014, 13:27
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long haul with kids

Thats great Thanks Eden7. I will post on speciifc destination forums I am looking for All inclusive.. looking at Punta Cana DR and Cayo Coco in Cuba.....I have a lot of research to do!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,761 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long haul with kids

You're welcome Caroline....research can be fun sometimes...it really whets the appetite for travel IMO....good luck with it.........

Calgary
Level Contributor
864 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long haul with kids

IMHO, I wouldn't write Cuba off so fast.

Cuba is fascinating, but only if you appreciate the unique geo-political position it occupies, and can get past the incessant first-world whingers who don't understand the lavish worlds they live in. Cuba is almost trapped in a 1950s vortex, and basic infrastructure is lacking throughout the country. (Plus their rum is much better than elsewhere, and incredibly cheap!)

The isolation from the pervasive influences of 'global culture' is a big part of what makes it fascinating, and if you persevere off-the-beaten track of Varadero/Havana/Trinidad/Santiago etc. you will be rewarded. Cuba can almost be perfectly described as 'globally naive'.

One of the other appeals of Cuba is to realize that when Fidel dies, it will probably all change to a more globally-buffeted place. I had the opportunity to travel to Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia and Hungary when they were still communist states in the '80s. and now, most people barely remember that that is how it once was .....

If your 12 y/o is a political-history buff or afficianado, consider Cuba. I've taken my kids there 3 times now .....

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long haul with kids

Caroline... having been to Barbados, I'd say it isn't the AI destination you are looking for. Lovely island, many gorgeous beaches, wonderful food, cheap to travel around, and the very best rum in the Carribean, but this destination doesn't aim for the AI market.

Egypt... the Sharm resorts and hotels have excellent standards mainly because the resorts are relatively new. Food, accommodation and facilities are to a high standard, and although not long haul, a four hour flight from the UK plus transfers will still make for a long travelling day, but have the advantage of no jet lag for the trip home.

Mexico and Cuba... (sigh)....they are on my wish list.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long haul with kids

Thanks Kottbullar and mcpinder for your comments /info I will look at the destinations in greater detail.decisions decisions....

7. Re: Long haul with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:15