We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some USA accomadation tips please.

Ballymena, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Some USA accomadation tips please.

Planning a family ho to USA 2015. A USA fly drive type experience in the north eastern states is the initial thoughts. Starting in Cleveland (family to visit there + other things like Cedar Point theme park), then drive to Washington DC area, finishing in NYC before leaving. That's the broad plan.

Question: anyone got good tips on places to stay in Cleveland, OH area, Washington DC/ Baltimore area - and what do you recommend for Manhattan, is a hiring a private apt the most cost effective option, some prices look quite reasonable?

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

Hello and welcome to the forums,

First renting an apartment in NYC for less than 30 days is usually illegal--even the ones posted on tripadvisor.

Second, this is the general forum for traveling with families. If you repost your questions in the specific forums--NYC, Washington DC/Baltimore, and Cleveland--with when, how many beds, and nightly budget, the people on the forums will be happy to offer suggestions of hotels.

Thirdly, you will not need a car in either Washington DC or NYC. And you can easily take the train or fly between DC and NYC.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,488 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

If you post your question about apartment rentals on the actual New York City forum youll see the previous poster is 100% correct about short term rentals being illeagal....the forum regulars wont hesitate to advise you of this...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

You diid not mention how many people were traveling. If a small number, look at options other than driving. If 4 or more, start in Washington and get the car at the end of your visit. Then drop it off when you get to New York. For most tourists in Washington or New York, the car is an expensive hassle. You will be paying to park and rent a car you do not need. Even for a long visit to Washington and you wanted to add in some suburban sights, pick up the car after you visit downtown. Of course you can do it in reverse order. Shop carefully for the car to avoid one way rental fee. It may not be much for an overseas visitor, but it might be alot.

Hotel rooms in downtown DC or close in Virginia are sometimes very reasonable on weekends. While slightly more expensive than the suburbs, being downtown saves time and commute costs. Long story short, shop carefully.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

Suggest to also add Niagara Falls to your trip. Amish country south of Cleveland is worth visiting. Also check out Gettysburg. We found out hotelprices in DC are cheaper in the weekend and in NY cheaper during the week days.

Tet

Ballymena, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

Thanks for the tips. Planning to visit Niagara Falls also, and was planning to ditch the car on arrival in New York. Great advise on going to more specific forum also. I'll try that.

Its 2 adults and 2 possibly 3 kids, if my eldest daughter decides to come with us!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,488 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

yardie..............If you have any questions about Niagara Falls, just ask, I will try to answer them....I live in Toronto, which is only a 90 minute drive from Niagara Falls, Ontario...........

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,488 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

yardie...............................one more thing - I can't find anywhere what your projected dates of travel are...please share....weather/travel dates do make a difference.......

Ballymena, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

Hi, yes, projected dates would be most likely late July or August 2015. Itinerary not finalised as yet. Looking at flying from Belfast or Dublin to NYC (home based in Northern Ireland, but Dublin easy to get to) with connecting flight to Cleveland. Perhaps approx 5-7 days in that area to do Niagara Falls and Cedar Point in Sandusky, and visit family members who live outside Cleveland. Then move to DC/Baltimore area to see some sights. (I also have family there too! to say hello too) 2-3 days, before moving up to NYC for again, approx 5-7 day visit. I kinda did a similar thing some years ago, but before the family came along! That's the plan, however only at very early stages of planning. Again I haven't yet checked out if it might be cheaper to fly Dublin to Toronto! , or a route out of London or Manchester in UK.

Why would weather make a difference, may I ask? Do you mean purely in terms of visiting the Falls?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,488 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

No, I mean in general...you never indicated what time of the year, period, you were planning on travelling........the eastern U.S. gets snow and ice in the winter, and it makes for bad driving conditions.....also not the best weather for sightseeing, out of doors.....but, folks do travel year round, so i asked because i felt it would help the forum to better help you..........also, knowing a persons dates of travel helps to let others know when national holidays are, or local festivals, etc...could be very crowded, or things closed..........all information helps........

Edited: 22 August 2014, 21:28
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some USA accomadation tips please.

If you fly into Canada you can rent a car and travel into the USA but you'll have to deliver the car in Canada again to avoid very high drop off charges if at all possible. Please keep and eye on that. Same goes for rentals from the USA into Canada etc.