We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling the world with kids

traveling the world with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2013, 21:58
USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling the world with kids

Try Russia -- especially Moscow and/or St. Petersburg.

Moscow especially is a big, exciting world class city which offers nearly anything you'll find in places like London, New York, etc. They are oening up more and more to touristm; most peopleare friendly and helpful, and you can either travel around on your own with a little ingenuity, or find some great guided tours. It'd be an exciting trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling the world with kids

How about London.

London is very child friendly and you won't have any language difficulties. There is plenty to see and do for everyone.

I've added the link to my go list about great tourist attractions for people with kids.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i6012-London_fo…

USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling the world with kids

I have to admit I may be a bit “partial,” however, I’d like to suggest traveling to Russia -- especially big cities like Moscow or St. Petersburg -- for family travel. Russia is mystical! It’s a sort of unique “fantasyland” for travelers coming from other places because of the many years that it was closed off pretty much to western travelers. But that has all changed dramatically! Several years ago we got in touch with our extended Russian family, developed a warm, close relationship, and started traveling to Russia frequently to spend time with them. It has been one heck of an amazing experience -- for us, and for them!! We always travel through Moscow coming and going to the Russian interior -- Siberia -- where we spend a great deal of our time with our family and Russian friends. This past summer while in Moscow for a few days we’d taken a Moscow River boat cruise one afternoon which let us off a few miles from our point of origin. That was fun, we’d never done that before! As we made our way back to our hotel using the subway (Metro) and city buses and walking through various neighborhoods I couldn’t help thinking what a wonderful experience that would be for travelers... exploring new places and seeing incredible new things from a different perspective. At one point we were “lost” and we stopped an elderly Russian gentleman to ask directions and to get his advice on the best way to get back to our familiar hotel locale. He was very friendly and fascinated once he learned we were two Americans who had visited Russia a number of times and were traveling with our two Russian college kids, visiting Moscow yet again with them after several brief trips there previously. He gave us directions to where we needed to go, hesitated a moment, and then he spontaneously offered to accompany us to a neighborhood restaurant which he said had excellent food (it did!). As we parted company a couple of hours later after a wondeful lunch he gave us a telephone number to contact him if we needed more informatin or directions or if we got “lost” again. It made for a pleasant one-afternoon friendship! We’ve had quite a few similar experiences with Russian people in various places who tend to be very friendly once they get to know you. The Russians are rapidly becoming tourism-wise, so that traveling in Russia now is pretty easy and comfortable and fun! It takes, perhaps, a very slightly more intrepid sort of “tourist” than average to go there instead of better known travel destinations. However, once you have experienced the one of the most marvelous and exciting countries on Earth, and absorbed even a little bit of its unique culture and traditions you’ll find that Russia gets into your blood like no other travel experience. You’ll want to go back there again and again.

Of course, most Russians do speak Russian, and when traveling to any foreign country you, of course, may occasionally run into language problems. However, in large cities such as Moscow and St. Petersburg you usualy can find someone who does speak some English who will be glad to assist you -- especially at hotels, the airports, taxi drivers, major tourist attactions, and many shops.

oxnard, ca
Level Contributor
185 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling the world with kids

I was just going to ask about the language challenges. Would it help to join a tour group? Or does it take away from the local experience?

USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling the world with kids

If one is not feeling too “adventurous” then going along with a tour group would be a comfortable way to travel there. However, I’ve seen a number of postings on TA Russia forums from quite a few people who have traveled in Russia on their own, speaking only English, and not had any real problems doing so. They’ve found that with a good guide book or two, perhaps a Russian phrase book, and some careful planning beforehand they have been able to get around easily and enjoy major sightseeing attractions, good restaurants, museums, ballet/opera, shopping, etc. For ourselves, wth our travels there over several years we have become pretty familar with the country and its customs, and feel comfortable traveling on our own. I understand Russian, and one of our Russian college kids is fluent in English (the other one is learning it), so, of course, language is no problem. But I can’t imagine knowing only English would really make traveling to Russia any more difficult than going to some other non-English speaking country, particularly in the well-touristed cities. Tourists come to Moscow and St. Petersburg especially from all over the world nowadays.

Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling the world with kids

Just a few more ideas for you: if you went south of the equator, November is late spring and you could get some great weather. Maybe Argentina or Chile? I know you said no cruises, but if you don't mind a small ship or yacht you could go for the Galapagos Islands. Or you could travel to a Mediterranean country such as Spain or Tunisia; although it's late fall you'd still likely get some decent weather.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling the world with kids

A Safari in Kenya is a trip of a lifetime. I still remember when my parents took us (25 years ago).

Costa Rica is amazing as well with a lot for teens to do and enjoy as well as learn.

New Zealand is also amazing.

I know you said no cruises, but a Greek Isalnd cruise with stops in Turkey is wonderful. It is mainly spent of the boat at the different greek islands, in Istanbul and other ports. Vey educational but very fun for asults and children. Italy is also a good destination, especially if they have studied Europen History in school already.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling the world with kids

kenmartinlegal, can i ask you a question on Russia?

How do you get a visa to Russia, i am assuming you are US citizent, correct? Me and hubby planning a trip to Russia next year, just in the begining stages of it actualy. Do i need to go to SF to the embassy for visa or can i mail a request? I haven't been there in almost 19 years, going to be 20 by the time we get there.

Also, do you think it's cheaper to by aiplance tickets from moscow going lets say to Amstrerdam or just buy them in states?

USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling the world with kids

You can apply directly to the Russian Consulate closest to you. You can contact the SF Russian Consulate for help with your visa application, or pay a fee to a reliable passport/visa agency to assist you (probably the easiest way as the visa application is somewhat involved and you must be very accurate and careful). You can apply and pay for a tourist voucher, or obtain an invitation from your hotel.

A Google search for "Russian Consulate" provides this link:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-17,GGLG:en&q=russian+consulate+san+francisco

To answer your questions: Yes, I am a U.S. citizen, with extended family in Russia so I spend time in both countries. You may find ticket prices cheaper buying them in Moscow, depending on which airlines you are of a mind to use.

USA & Altai Kray...
Level Contributor
879 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling the world with kids

petitegirl --

One more suggestion... peruse the various Russia forums on TripAdvisor, there is a wealth of good information there.