We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SE Michigan to Niagara Falls Area-Which Way to go?

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
SE Michigan to Niagara Falls Area-Which Way to go?

We will be traveling from the extreme SE corner of Michigan to the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area next April. There are two ways that we could go, and I am looking for advice and information. The obvious way is to take I-75 down to the Ohio turnpike and follow I-90 all the way from Toledo to Buffalo. According to Mapquest this way is 329 miles, much of it unimpeded toll road, but also quite boring. The other way we could go would be to take I-75 up to Detroit, cross through the tunnel into Windsor, Ontario and take Hwy 401 up to the Canadian side of the Falls. My road atlas says that this way is 308 miles. Mileage-wise, there isn't much of a difference, but I am wondering if going up through Canada, while it would be much more interesting for our kids since we haven't been through customs in years and neither of them remember it, not to mention the bilingual road signs (our daughter is learning French right now), would take a lot longer. As I mentioned, we haven't been through customs in over ten years, so I don't know if that would waste a lot of time (especially now that it's post-9/11) or what condition Hwy 401 is in; if it's a superhighway or simply a two-lane road. We plan on leaving quite early in the morning, at least by 5:00 AM, so that we can visit the Buffalo Zoo by late morning. If anyone could help me out with some info or advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: SE Michigan to Niagara Falls Area-Which Way to go?

I've been both ways but it was a few years ago. Either way will be about the same for travel time, customs at the border won't add much time unless you hit a long line during a rush hour time. I don't remember anything that interesting on either road except like you said in Canada there is some different signs and it's exciting just being in a different country for kids. Both roads are about the same, 2 lane interstates.

Have you thought about taking the Canada route there and the Ohio route for the trip back? I hope you are planning to stop at Niagara Falls while you are in that area, lots of things there the kids and you will enjoy

Jen

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SE Michigan to Niagara Falls Area-Which Way to go?

Thanks! Actually, someone else has suggested that we try going one way on the way there and the other way on the way back, so maybe we will. We will only be in the Buffalo area for one night, but yes, we hope to at least stop by and see Niagara Falls. We have never been there before.

3. Re: SE Michigan to Niagara Falls Area-Which Way to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 16:16