We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anxiety over not being on the beach

New jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Anxiety over not being on the beach

Hello - Thanks for all the info already. I am hoping you can help me make a tough decision. We are visiting in July - T&C has been a dream trip for me for a long time!! The trouble is we have a tight budget making our hotel decision tough! Maybe you all can help me to choose.

We like Villa Del Mar because the great price, super reviews, up to date, close to the beach and offers a light breakfast and a grill that we could use to make a few dinners and save some $ on dining out. We will rent a car but it is also in walking distance to places as well.

BUT it is not on the beach. My husband says it is close enough and we shouldn't worry about it. But I am stuck dwelling about how we can not go to Grace Bay and not be ON the beach. So please help me get over this anxiety. Should I be looking elsewhere? Where? Or should I trust that close to the beach is good enough and start looking for things to do while we are there?

Thank you!

33 replies to this topic
Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

VDM is VERY close to the beach and they have a beach setup with loungers/umbrellas etc.

If it fits your budget then I say stay there. You will be so close to the beach right behind Grace Bay Club.

Mike

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

Check out The Sands! They are right on the beach at Grace Bay.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

The question I would ask is what do you feel like you are missing at Villa Del Mar. As noted above, VDM has its own beach setup with chairs and umbrellas. It is no further to walk from VDM to the beach then it would be from staying at one of the other resorts in a similar price range that are "on the beach" but have some buildings further back. Similarly, if you want to stay in the same price range as VDM at one of the lower priced beach resorts (e.g., Ocean Clubs, Royal West Indies, the Sands), you probably will not have an oceanview room if you want to keep the price close to VDM. I have stayed two times each at VDM and the Alexandra and once at RWI, and my next trip probably am staying at VDM again. I think it is a good value. I was considering the Sands too since it was recently renovated.

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

Mike is right. Villa Del Mar is a winner. You will be just as close to the beach there than if you stay at some of the other resorts right on the beach. Don't believe me? Pull up Google maps, put it in Satellite mode. Look at the Sands as suggested (also a great property). The back buildings are just as far away from the beach as VDM. I just measured using the maps measure feature and got 776 feet from the back building I stayed at the Sands. I measured 771 from the middle building at VDM. Forget the anxiety and enjoy Villa Del Mar.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

My wife and I had the same dilemma. Finding a place on the beach in Grace Bay within our budget proved to be difficult. In the end we decided to rent a house on the other side of the island on Long Bay Beach. It’s within budget and on a much less crowded beach which is perfect for us, as we’d prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle. Perhaps it can work for you too.

https://caribbeanseabreezevillas.com/

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

Everyone is right. VDM is the way to go. Literally, a hop, skip, and a jump. It sits behing Grace Bay Club. You walk a couple feet out VDM’s doors and on to GBC’s property where the public access is and onto the beach where you have chairs and umbrellas with beach attendants. You also have access to many restaurants and bars for food and drink on the beach if you choose. It is also within walking distance to shops and restaurants so no need for a car if you are on a tight budget.

As Rebecca mentioned, if you can afford the Sands, it would be garden view which sits in the back of the resort and just as far from the beach as VDM, actually further away and you would need a vehicle to get around at the Sands.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

Being directly on the beach is great. However, I have been to Provo 4 times (our 5th trip is in March)and we have not stayed beachfront for any of them. As much as I love being directly on the beach it is the price we pay for wanting be in Provo. Having said that, we love where we stay and have great access to the beach. I have not even considered staying somewhere else. VDM is very close to the beach and a great property. I would not even flinch over that decision. Good luck!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

cookingmonster,

Give Val from Turks and Caicos Reservations a call. He and his team are an on island agency. They may have some good deals/packages for you. Many of us here on the forum use them.

https://turksandcaicosreservations.com/

Edited: 22 January 2018, 15:20
Lehighton PA
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

We loved our visit to VDM so much that we booked again for this year. It is 2 minute walk to the beautiful beach with full beach set up. The attendants are great and the section of Grace Bay you are on cannot be beat. We stayed at the Sands 2 years ago and it took longer to walk to the beach than it did from VDM. You can't go wrong staying here.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anxiety over not being on the beach

We just spent 4 nights at VDM for the first time and would absolutely stay there again. This was our 12th trip to Provo. It has an upscale feel and it's literally a 1 minute walk to the beach. Their set-up on the beach can't be beat with full service attendants, who do a great job. The section of the beach is prime, very wide and they have plenty of loungers. I will say our stay exceeded expectations. I just posted my review on VDM if interested.

Reply to: Anxiety over not being on the beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grace Bay