We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union Island Trip Report

UK
Level Contributor
383 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Union Island Trip Report

Just finished a two day trip to Union, travelling from Bequia on the Jaden Sun fast ferry and staying at the Anchorage Yacht Club.

The Jaden Sun fast ferry was fantastic - clean, friendly, smooth and on time.

Anchorage Yacht Club is beginning to show its age. All the staff were friendly and helpful, but the roof in the main common areas leaks

when it rains (Water Pool anyone?!?) plus the air-conditioning in the first room we were in (room 8) didn't work and one of the table lamps

was missing a bulb. Food was good when the chef was there - but it seemed a bit hit-and-miss as to whether he would be there at

breakfast and, if so, at what time. But, as I say, all very friendly and helpful.

Most of the time we ate at the Bouganvilla hotel next door. Excellent food and service, and also very busy. The restaurant was usually

two-thirds full, despite it being low season - very different from anything else we've seen in the Grenadines over the last 3 weeks.

Apart from a quick taxi tour of the island - with Acky(spelling?) who was very friendly - we spent most of our time doing water taxi tours with

Angelo (+1 784 527 7669). Angelo couldn't have been more friendly or helpful, taking us to Happy Island, Palm Island, PSV and Petit

Martinique. His water taxi is only 3 years old and spotless. Angelo was fantastic, and we recommend him wholeheartedly - just agree the

price of your trip in advance, and you can't go wrong.

The only real negative to warn people of is that there is a disco / nightclub right near both the Anchorage Yacht Club and Bouganvilla. It's

loud enough to be heard over the air-conditioning, and went on until nearly 3am on the Friday night (earlier on the Thursday night). I'm a

little bit deaf, so wasn't bothered by it, but my other half found it pretty irritating until she fell asleep.

A good trip!

Mentioned in this post
Bequia
Bequia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
World
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Union Island Trip Report

Thanks so much for this report. Very helpful.

Would you mind sharing what you paid Angelo for each of your various trips?

Many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
383 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Union Island Trip Report

Curiousx - sure, but please understand that, on this occasion, we made no effort to negotiate. We worked on the basis that the prices suggested sounded fair for the combination of transportation / ideas / local knowledge / guide - and overall we were paying for a good half day's entertainment for two people in each case.

Doubtless some will say we overpaid, and equally doubtless better deals could be negotiated :o)

Trip 1: Over to Palm, left for 3 hours at our request, picked up again, taken to Happy Island, stayed for just under an hour, taken back to Union: EC$150 (agreed in advance).

Trip 2: Over to Mopion, then to PSV. Stayed as long as we liked at PSV (Angelo stayed too). Over to Petit Martinique and stayed a while (Angelo recommending a good place for coffee). Back to Union. EC$280 - this time not agreed in advance so perhaps a little high, but we used far more gasoline and there was much more wear an tear on the boat.

World
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Union Island Trip Report

Thanks very much, this is really helpful.

St Vincent
Level Contributor
129 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Union Island Trip Report

Thanks, very nice report - though I would say that both the boat fees you paid were actually extremely reasonable - I've seen far, far higher charges applied for similar trips.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Union Island Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report, not much gets written on TA about Union! Like the tip about Angelo. A newer boat would make the ride to Mayreau a bit nicer no doubt. Great day trips you made. I have to agree the prices seemed fair given the distances, stops etc! Also nice to be reading more about the Jaden Sun. Sure hope they get the business to keep it running. Too bad about the nightclub, we will plan to be moving on when Friday night comes around as some of that loud music can make for a long night!

Mentioned in this post
Mayreau
Mayreau
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
England
Level Contributor
749 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Union Island Trip Report

You have to tell me, was the lamp you mention the bedside one to the left of the bedhead. If it was, that blew when we stayed at #8 in early July !!

Now that's what I call Caribbean time !!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Union Island Trip Report

Last year we actually went to the local disco with some friends and staff from anchorage, an experience but had a great time.

8. Re: Union Island Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Union Island
More Union Island Topics