We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MV Jasper

Barbados
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
MV Jasper

Has anyone any experience of this vessel, that runs from Carriacou to Union Island a couple of times a week. How does it compare to Barracuda, Friendship Rose or Phat Shag? Serious question....

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MV Jasper

MV Jasper is a largish steel work boat.

Friendship Roase is a classic wooden schooner

Phat Shag is a small plywood Bequia skiff.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MV Jasper

Is there a different MV Jasper now? The one we took was not very big, and wooden. Photo at http://gallery.me.com/harleybarb#100224.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MV Jasper

Oops, I don't know if you can get to that photo or not. I may have to fool with it.

Barbados
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MV Jasper

Album not available...continue playing :-)

Escondido...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MV Jasper

Try copying the link and pasting into the browser -- that worked for me just now.

B-More
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: MV Jasper

The boat is a small working boat that can transport up to 20 some people who sit on a fiberglass bench that lines the side and rear of the cabin. It leaves from the dock in Ashton on Union Island and heads to Hillsborough, Carriacou. The cost is $25EC one way. You need to check in with the captain the day before you leave Union and arrange to clear immigration. The captain won't take you without an exit stamp.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: MV Jasper

We went to the airport on Union, where immigration is, the day before we were going to catch the Jasper, and got our passport stamped for exit from St. Vincent -- I don't think we made contact with the captain ahead of time. Not sure how you'd do that actually. He did deliver us to immigration on Carriacou when we arrived. And the immigration officer in Carriacou will definitely ask you (1) how you got there and (2) where is the captain. I know, because we once caught a ride with a fisherman from Mayreau, and the officer was not happy with us.

I assume the same requirements obtain going the other direction. The trip back to Union is around noon, I think. Departure from Union is quite early -- 6:30 am maybe?

By the way, it was an easy ride (a nice day) and it didn't take more than a half hour. I hope they've replaced the rickety ladder and repaired the dock in Ashton though!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MV Jasper

I took the same trip in April 2011 and no new ladder or dock and make sure you follow the above steps to get the proper Immigration stamps etc...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MV Jasper

Jasper is a converted cruise ship tender (a big lifeboat basically). It is covered and, although it is a bit noisy, it does the job. It leaves Ashton dock at 7:30am on Mondays and Thursdays. Takes about an hour to Hillsborough. The day before you should call Captain Troy (sorry, don't have his number but ask around Union - someone will give it to you). You can go for the the day to Carriacou as long as you have a passport. Jasper returns from Carriacou at 2pm or thereabouts. But if you are going to stay in Carriacou you must clear out of Union the afternoon before at the airport.

Jasper is the only ferry from Union to Carriacou and we are very grateful for it. Captain Troy is a very pleasant fellow who runs a good service for the islands. On a calm day it is a pleasant journey. On a rough day it is interesting.

10. Re: MV Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Union Island