We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIO MAR - I need to vent

Which Rio Grande hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
RIO MAR - I need to vent

I just finished reading the newest reviews for Rio Mar.

I don't understand people - if you are going to spend your hard earned $, don't you think that you would do some research !!

People complained because when they got there , they were upset because the sand was brown, there was a $15.00 parking fee and if you wanted a fridge there was a fee. If they are posting the info to warn other people then I suppose thats a good thing.

They loved the scenery and the pool. My husband and I usually visit 2 or 3 vacation spots a year BUT I do my homework on them. There are soooo many web sites to research resorts and islands that I see no real reason for people to be upset about so many things that have been stated in the Travel Advisor Forum.

I agree that some of the Rio Mar fees are not needed IMO.

JUST MY OPINION

THANKS FOR LISTENING

robin

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

there is a difference between a tourist and traveler, the traveler takes time to read about the place (in this time and age the internet is a wonderful tool, but we have travel books, history books and maps available), looks for info. does research (something as simple as taking a good look at a map and understanding that the hotel is located outside the san juan area is sometimes a big surprise for many who visit this area) and is curious about it's surroundings and the people.

the tourist buys the ticket, pays the taxi, checks in and out but it is not well informed, only reads a slim brochure and looks at the nice pictures and hopes and prays all his or her fantasies will come true.

Edited: 17 January 2010, 21:05
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

I totally agree and it seems weird to me. If they take the time to review a place on TA after the vacation (so they know about TA and getting info about a vacation etc), you would think they would take the time to research BEFORE the vacation.

Robin-I don't understand people either!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

Hate to admit it, but that review was written by another Long Islander. In some ways, the beach is similar in sand and water to ours (although the water is much wamer and the beach is nicer in PR). They obviously didn't do their homework. They may have booked some kind of promo and didn't expect to have additional charges. Anyone that travels to the carribean knows resorts charge high prices for food and drink. It's weird, they knew enough to post a review, but didn't check others.

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

You are always better off knowing the good, bad & ugly before you go.

We recently stayed at the Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar in Dorado, we fully researched it and knew the hotel basics including how far everything was - all was fine with us BUT you read some of the reviews and people whine about the things they should have known BEFORE they paid to stay there.

And they are the first to complain about rude staff when they are the rude ones to begin with lack knowledge.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

I appreciate everyone's opinions and knowing I am not the only one that feels this way.

Thanks again

HAPPY TRAVELING !!!!

Will be at the Rio Mar for 11 nights in March - looking forward to it !!!!!!!!

Then on to Aruba in July. LOVE THIS WEBSITE !!!!!!

robin

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

Ahhh Aruba -

I just got back from my first visit to PR - I was a long time Aruba goer (way back before it got so built up) and I will say I LOVED Puerto Rico!

The water in PR is similar to the Aruban waters but in a whole different specturm and I can't wait to go back! Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 18 January 2010, 03:09
New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

We are from Long Island and are heading to the Rio Mar for spring break , I did alot of research before choosing this resort. When people post that the food is expensive it is laughable,what resort have they ever stayed at the the food was not expensive. I know about the parking fee of $20,the refrigerator for $10 and I made sure the resort fees were in my price( I went through Liberty Travel). A little research goes along way. This forum is a wealth of information, I take notes as information becomes available and pretty much know what to expect!

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

I certainly agree with everyone that posted, that you should research and read reviews BEFORE you go...but isn't that what we're doing by reading the reviews mentioned?

I personally found those latest reviews very helpful and were actually very consistent, which is what I look for in reviews. It's actually the people that don't do their research and then write about it after they get back that help the most, IMHO.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,913 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

Some basic knowledge of geography and geology would be helpful. You need Coral for white sand. Many of the smaller island in the Carib are Coral islands and therefore have white sand. PR is the last of the greater antillies.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIO MAR - I need to vent

How about those Tourists that ask if we have siesta here, or where they can exchange their dollar for our pesetas. LOL