We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
103 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

We are traveling to PR for my boyfriend's 30th birthday later this week. It will be a group of 6 of us and I'm looking for restaurant recommendations for a birthday dinner for the 28th. I see there are a bunch of restaurants listed in response to another forum question, but I was looking to know which ones might be good to celebrate a special occassion (but not be tooo expensive...we are from the NYC area, though, so are used to things not being super cheap...thinking basic entrees around $15-$18 if possible). Thanks so much!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

If it is still as good, we loved Las Vegas, absolutely delicious (and we're picky). It's on the road to the rainforest and a great place for dinner. It was one of our best meals.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

I second Las Vegas . It's a short 7 minute drive from Rio Mar.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

I like Richie's. Good food and great sunset/early evening views.

I also think the food at La Parilla (kiosco #2) is very good. It would be a toss up for me.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

I'm glad to hear Las Vegas is still good. I remember we had this dessert of pears in wine sauce that was to soooo good. I'm hungry just thinking about it, just a few more weeks.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

thanks so much for your suggestions!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

Both Las Vegas and Richie's are very good

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
255 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

i suggest la parilla (kiosk #2) at luquillo. they now have expanded and made a "function room" that would hold your party. he creates these really incredible caribbean meals with a slight twist. you will be in a real coastal setting dining on specially prepared food. we have eaten 3 times at las vegas, but the setting at night is quite sterile. decent food, but just a big empty restaurant.

steve

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

Another idea on a nice location but I have no experience with it is the restaurant up in Hacienda Carabali?

It is on top of the hill and during the day the view is nice, at night I assume you will have a serenade of coquis... But I don't know if it is any good.

Anyone try it yet?

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

I heard that the Restaurant at Hacienda Carabali either closed down or is now open only on weekends. Anyone with more info on this will be appreciated.

east dennis
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner Spot for 30th Birthday Near Gran Melia

We went to Richies. I think you'll like it. It's very noisy and lively. The view is to die for. The food is okay. Stay away from the fried shrimp, it's terrible, but my son got the pineapple shrimp with rice and it was very good. The food is not as good at the atmo and the liveliness which you might enjoy since it's his birthday. Also, make a reservation and ask to sit near the edge of the deck overlooking the area below. You love the view