We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs at Whitehouse

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
155 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs at Whitehouse

I keep reading about all the sand flies and mosquitoes that people run into at the Whitehouse.Where do you run into these and what is the best cure for them?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

If you wear bug spray, you should have no problems with them. Early in the morning and in the evenings are when those bugs are most likely to be out and biting. We wore bug spray with 100% deet and didn't get any bites while wearing it. The one night we forgot to put it on, we both got a couple of bites, but they weren't that bad. Also take some benadryll spray with you to use in case you do get bitten--that will take the itch right out.

Another note on bugs--don't leave food sitting out in your room. Within an hour, it will be covered in bugs. Place it outside your room door and someone will be by to pick it up shortly or place it in your room fridge. This is a tropical climate and bugs are a fact of nature, so no need to attract them unneccessarily because they will show up!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

It's definitely true that bug spray does the trick. Honestly, though, the bugs/fleas are no worse at Whitehouse than anywhere most places that we've been in the Caribbean. You're on a beach on a fairly large island - there are sand fleas and mosquitoes...that's pretty much par for the course. Be good about putting on the bug spray and you shouldn't be bothered too much. Enjoy your trip!

kelowna, BC canada
Level Contributor
510 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

We have been to Mexico 4 times both the Pacific and Caribbean sides and have never experinced sand flea's like we did at Whitehouse last year. We didn't spend much time at the beach in early morning or late at night however we were there most of the day and after day 3 the bites were unreal. There were four of us and all but one person had very many bites. We didn't use any bug spray at the start but later we used a lot. It may have helped although I'm not sure. Having said that, Whitehouse so far was our favourite place we have been so far and we will go back again.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
155 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

Thanks for your replies.We have only exprienced bugs in the Dominican before.There were no bugs at Sandals Dunns River Falls last year when we were there.

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

If I remember correctly when we were at the Whitehouse, I think they spray for the fleas like in the morning on Thurs or something like that, but a bug spray works great. My husband had a few bites when he was playing Volleyball in the late afternoon, but other then that I didn't notice anything bad. We went in Nov so I don't know if time of year has anything to do with that or not?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

It doesn't matter what time of year you go. They will be there waiting for you.

LOL.

Just to add, they are also active after any rain. It's when the sand has been cooled down whether it be early AM, late afternoon/sunset, or after rain that you need to spray your legs & feet if you plan on going to the beach.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

This is not the first time I heard of this , but I can honestly state that we have never experienced this..not sure i would spray mysel up/down with bug spay either ..after a nice day at the beach , a refreshing shower , nice clothes for dinner the last thing I want to do it spray myself with a bug chemicals..YUK! I'v actually put on perfume...must be a scent they go after...dunno, I guess they dont like my scent..I can tell you that Sandals Antigua was bad...but everything else was so GREAT!!! and you are in the tropics..be gratefull the only bugs your complaining about ...are smaller then you! LOL

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

This is not the first time I heard of this , but I can honestly state that we have never experienced this..not sure i would spray mysel up/down with bug spay either ..after a nice day at the beach , a refreshing shower , nice clothes for dinner the last thing I want to do it spray myself with a bug chemicals..YUK! I'v actually put on perfume...must be a scent they go after...dunno, I guess they dont like my scent..I can tell you that Sandals Antigua was bad...but everything else was so GREAT!!! and you are in the tropics..be gratefull the only bugs your complaining about ...are smaller then you! LOL

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

Sandals infilled a swamp area to build Whitehouse so yes expect bugs.

10. Re: Bugs at Whitehouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 05:17