We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency used in JAMAICA

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Currency used in JAMAICA

We are heading to Jamaica in March 2010 ,Sandals WhiteHouse resort . Is there currency exchange opportunities at the airport for converting Canadian $$$ to Jamaican $$..... or do we need to start with US dollars ? Also are there ATM machines available ?

Thanks in advance

Marvie in Canada

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency used in JAMAICA

ATMs are available, but I am not sure how convenient they would be in or near Whitehouse.

I would bring Canadian and convert at a cambio or bank. I would not, for a any reason, convert in the airport. They rip you off like I have never seen before - and every year there is a line of tourists changing money. The last time I was there, the airport was paying 60:1 and the first cambio we stopped at was paying more than 75:1.

Although, Whitehouse might not even be re-opened by then, so you may find yourself at another Sandals - which would make using ATMs or changing money at Cambios easier.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
155 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency used in JAMAICA

Marvie we went last January to Sandals Dunns River Falls and all we did was bring American Money.Keep going to the banks in Canada and get the best rate that you can. I bouhgt a little at a time every time the rate was good.I would not waste my time using Jamaica Money as you can not take it back to Canada if you have any left upon departure time.We are going to the whitehouse this Jan as you allready know.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency used in JAMAICA

ATM’s close to Whitehouse are in Savanna La Mar (Great George Street) and Black River (3 locations – you’re never far from one while in the town).

As Easton mentioned, you could find yourself at a different Sandals. Only last week news of more defects broke, and the reopening date is again unknown; for certain the scheduled 18th December will not be met.

US$ may be acceptable in the more touristy areas of Negril and Ocho ios, but at Whitehouse, away from the resort in Westmoreland, you could struggle without Ja dollars. Plus, you will get better value for money using $Ja anywhere in Jamaica.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency used in JAMAICA

marvie...we bring only US currency on our Sandals vacations, including to WH. As gooilersLeduc (though I want to say goleafs!) says, we can always use US dollars at home.

I hope WH is open for your trip in March. We are heading there in January and are somewhat concerned, but will go with the flow!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency used in JAMAICA

Thanks everyone .. for the info . I hope everyone is able to go to WH in January which will mean that we are OKAY for March. Will keep an eye open here on TA ..

Marvie .... and I must add ..Go Riders Go !!!!!

6. Re: Currency used in JAMAICA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2010, 05:18