We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

This property looks beautiful! Love the look of the Dutch and Italian courtyards! I wish Sandals didn't offer sooo many room categories. It gets confusing.

Is 24 hour room service only available if you book a suite? Do any other perks come with the extra cost?

Can you order a bottle of wine delivered to your room?

Our main concern is that the room be well appointed and "oceanfront." Don't really care about butler service. Any suggestions??

Also...how far is Whitehouse from the airport?

Thanks in advance.

Kim

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

Hi kimlo,

Room service is available with Concierge room categories. All rooms at the resort are oceanview...some views are better depending on how high the floor is. Our room was on the top floor of the French Village. We've booked twice into that village because we like the more social pool there compared to the quieter Dutch village pool. However, this time around we used the Riviera pool which is the large pool closest to the Italian village.

With concierge service the bar is kept stocked and they will keep you supplied with their "house wines". Any other wine has a charge. The other advantage to concierge service is that they will make restaurant reservations for you...despite the fact the resort says reservations are not required, they do accept them with concierge and butler categories.

WH is approx 90 minutes from the airport depending on traffic. The roads are hilly and windy and narrow so if the shuttle is stuck behind a slow moving vehicle and can't pass for a bit, the ride will be longer. Don't let the distance deter you...it's the best of the Sandal's resorts in our opinion and well worth the extra time to get there!

If the concierge level rooms are in your price range, then I would recommend going for it if you feel having a bar and concierge service is worth the price. There isn't a great deal of difference in the rooms. Our travel companions had a concierge level room in the Italian village and they had a slightly larger balcony, a whirlpool tub and separate shower, whereas our room was a little smaller (not by much) and we had a tub/shower combo. We don't spend a lot of time in the room...the resort is far too lovely to spend anytime indoors! We've had concierge service at other Sandal's resorts and I think the next time we return to WH we will book a concierge level room simply to take advantage of room service and restaurant reservations.

Hope this helps!

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

Hi Travelpair.

Thank you so much for all the info! And yes...It does help!

90 minutes from the airport. Yikes! That's the part I'd need to sell my husband on. The last time we were in Jamaica was 2003 and stayed in Runaway Bay (at Breezes) for a relative's wedding. It was nearly 2 hours from the airport and some of the roads were not yet paved. What a ride that was! Haha. I've heard that the roads are much improved and that they have new 4 lane highways, etc. On our drive back to the airport last time we passed many lovely resorts in Montego Bay that were only about 10 minutes from the airport. Just can't remember what the names of them were. We're going back to the Riviera Maya in April again but am looking at Jamaica (or maybe another island) for a possible November trip.

Sandals Whitehouse looks lovely. Now I just need to sell husband (and myself) on the 90 minute ride.

Thank you so much for your help.

KIm

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

one other thing I forgot to mention...SWH is fairly remote, which means the lovely long beach is very quiet...no vendors, no cruise ship visitors, only Sandals guests. The ride is well worth it in our opinion!

I mentioned this in your other post, but If you are looking for a Sandals close to the airport, take a peek at Sandals Antigua. Very nice, and the newer Mediterranean Village side has beautiful ocean-view rooms.

Good luck with your decision!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

kimlo, have you checked out Sandals Emerald Bay? That is one on my to do list for sure!

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

Hey Caviar,

Yes, I have. Gorgeous. Only trouble...the flights. We can't get a flight with less than 2 stops! If we only go for 5 nights, 2 whole days are lost on travel.

I'm still looking forward to hearing the feedback on Emerald Bay. It looks amazing! The Sandals Whitehouse is very pretty as well.

How do you compare the Sandals Resorts (in general) to the AI's in Mexico? I know you didn't like EDR but how do you think they compare to the Grand or Le Blanc??

Travelpair...You present good arguments!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

Just a little correction about the room service. Room service is only available in the butler category rooms at Whitehouse, not in concierge. Only some of the Sandals properties offers room service in concierge level now, it's a shame. Just wanted to mention that incase it was important to you.

kat

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

kat...our travel companions stayed in concierge level while we were at SWH last week and they had room service.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

Maybe this is a new change with the recent re-opening? The Sandals web page still says room service is only for butler categories so I assumed it was the same. That would make me very happy if they changed it since we will be in a concierge suite at this resort next month! We don't use it very often, but it's nice to know it's there if we want it. Last time we were at SWH was in 2006 and were disappointed that we didn't have it. Since Sandals introduced Butler service many of the properties no longer have room service for concierge levels, and that stinks. Thanks for the update.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

it's very possible it's a recent change, but I've also found that some things are different on the website vs what the info at the resort says...especially with respect to dress codes at the restaurants. SRC was especially confusing for this...the room binder said one thing, the day-at-a-glance page said something different, and often the website was a mix of the two! Very confusing.

We also went to SWH in 2006 and I can reassure you that this resort is as good if not better now! I've posted a review but it is still pending. Hope you have a great time!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
10. Re: A Few Questions About Sandals Whitehouse

kimlo, I love Jamaica so it is always my preference to go there but we really do not look for the same things in a resort there that we do in Mexico - for us, Mexico is more about the resort and Jamaica is more about the island experience.

Rooms (beds and bedding, luxurious bathrooms, size and overall standard of luxury) at Sandals do not compare well to The Grand and LeBlanc except at the highest levels. And I personally do not care for the caste system at Sandals. At The Grand and LB as you know, everyone is treated the same, all rooms have the same perks, all rooms have butlers, etc. That is one reason that SEB appeals but I agree that three flights will cut out too much time for a short trip.

Food and wine as well as liquor is MUCH better at LeBlanc and better at The Grand (I was not wowed by the food there though). Beach furniture and service is not as nice at Sandals.

We have not been to Whitehouse yet and doubt we will try it as we really like Couples and Negril is my favorite spot.. And I am just not a Sandals fan - though I was in the 80s and early 90s. Sandals changed and so did my tastes :-)

That being said, we are seriously considering Royal Plantation - looks like that resort is more along the lines of Zoetry, which we loved.