We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

Sparkill, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

We’re looking to get away from the world and just relax for a week. Would you recommend Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse? Were in our late 20’s, we’re not looking for a party, but we would like to go somewhere where will meet people.

Thanks!

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

We've been to the Whitehouse and that's really a nice resort the beach is long and there are plenty of activities and peace which ever you want, we havn't tried Emerald Bay yet, manily because we go during the winter and the Bahamas are not as warm as Jamaica, we've talked about trying it in like May or June sometime, so if you are locked into a certain time frame do some research on the average temps in the area you are considering, I've heard EB is beautiful, good luck in deciding

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

I agree with bythedozenis cheaper. Last year we were in Ocho in mid January and it was close to 90 degrees while the Bahamas was struggling to get to 68.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

crew638b...I answered your post in the Bahamas forum so am copying and pasting the same here. And yes, it truly does depend on time of year for going to the Bahamas...I've been in July (very HOT) and in late Jan/early Feb...warm enough weather but the water was very cold. This time we are headed back in March. Here's my response:

We've been to/stayed at all Sandals with the exception of SEB which we'll be going to in March. We're also going back for a third stay at SWH next month.

Not having been to SEB yet, I can't comment on what it will be like, but we booked it for total rest and relaxation with the possibility of doing at least one excursion. I've heard positive things from people who have been there. We were lucky to book our trip when the resort was all-butler...to book the same room now is considered concierge level.

SWH is our favourite of all Sandals resorts. It has a great 2 mile beach free of vendors and other resort guests, 3 large pools each with different personalities...2 with swim-up bars and one with a poolside bar. We love the piazza where you can dance under the stars or sit at a bistro table and listen to a violinist or a local band. The resort has a small nightclub and a very social martini bar as well as other nightly entertainment. Sandals aren't known for a "party" atmosphere, (though that really depends on the guests there at the time!) but there is plenty to do and lots of great people of all ages and from all over the world to meet if you wish to socialize. Our daughter who is in her 20's is heading there in March for her honeymoon.

Keep in mind that the remoteness of SWH means having to book an excursion to see the local sights...you don't just walk off the resort. The ride from the airport is approx 90 mins and it is a terrific way to see part of the island.

Good luck with your decision...I don't think you can go wrong with either resort!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

We will be returning to the WH for #4, January 20 - 27!! We love it and have all the same comments as TP55. Remember the French Pastry Shop too. The privacy and remoteness are great, one of our favorite parts of the WH. The bus ride from the airport is a trip in itself, but well worht it.

The Bahamas is fairly cool during the winter months. We were there in January and it was fun, but not warm enough. We will probably go late March or after in the future. TP, 22 days to go!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
899 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

I posted this on the Bahamas forum as well:

You can't go wrong with either one if seclusion and relaxation are what you're looking for! We were at Whitehouse in Feb. '09 and returning there in a couple weeks. We were at Emerald Bay 2 months ago. Both have pros and cons, but both were fabulous!

Emerald Bay edges out Whitehouse as our favorite due to the all-butler service (which went away with bookings after Dec. 10), the beach, and proximity to airport.

Whitehouse edges out Emerald Bay as our favorite due to the restaurant choices, all ocean-view rooms, and the wonderful Jamaican hospitality.

Both resorts sit on long, private beaches. Emerald Bay's beach is soft white sand ,over a mile long with the clearest, most beautifully colored waters I've seen anywhere. Whitehouse's beach is about 2 miles long, but the water isn't always as clear and there is quite a bit of seaweed in places.

Both resorts have great food. Whitehouse has 6 restaurants plus a dessert/coffee shop. Emerald Bay has only 4 restaurants. The extra variety is a plus for a stay of a week or more.

The rooms were furnished well at both places, but Emerald Bay was a little newer and classier in its furnishings. However, many of the rooms do not have an ocean view. Whitehouse, though, has all of its rooms facing the ocean. Some with more of an ocean-view than others, but the beach and water is only yards away no matter your room choice.

A big plus for Emerald Bay is that it is only 10 minutes from the airport. And the airport is very tiny, so getting through customs was a breeze. We were in our room unpacking within 45 minutes of our plane landing. Whitehouse, however, is 90 minutes from the airport and the Montego Bay airport is very busy, so it can take a while to get through customs. We were in our room at Whitehouse 3 1/2 hours after our plane landed.

Service was great at both resorts. The staffs always went out of their way to please the guests. We have found, though, that Jamaicans are more outgoing and friendly and humorous than any other island culture we've encountered. And you'll find a mix of all ages at both resorts--depending on the time of year that you go. Summer months will have more honeymooners and maybe more of a younger age, winter months will have more snow birds who can tend to be a bit older. Also, consider that Dec. through Feb. in the Bahamas can be cooler air temps and water temps.

You'll have a great time no matter which you choose!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

Hey Hoopersh, we're down to 16 days until the WH!!!

7. Re: Sandals Emerald Bay or Sandals Whitehouse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 05:16