We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

We just returned this past week from a great 3rd stay at SWH. I haven't had time to write a review yet, but thought I'd point out a few miscellaneous things for those who are visiting in the near future:

1) the ride from the airport took 2 hours this time instead of 90 mins...could be because of rain or it might have been that the roads seemed a little rougher this time around and the shuttle had to slow numerous times for potholes. Be advised that if you don't want to stop for a beer/rest stop...you don't have to...just ensure everyone on the shuttle is of the same mind!

2) be sure to wear footwear for Bluefields restaurant. Despite it being on the beach, they don't allow bare-feet...which I discovered only after walking the beautiful long beach barefoot all the way from Neptunes pier.

3) last year the White Night party was on Tuesday evening followed by the chocolate buffet. This time the party and chocolate buffet was on Wednesday night after the returnees' dinner...I didn't see too many wearing white, probably because a good number of the guests were attending straight from the returnees' dinner.

4) on Wednesday, in order to set up for the White Night party, the staff asked all people at the Riviera pool who were sitting on the side closest to the games room, to please move so they could remove all the loungers along that side. This happened late in the afternoon, so something to keep in mind if you like to lounge at the pool mid-late afternoon.

5) I only found Crown Royal in the martini bar and I didn't see Canadian Club at all, which is different from last year. No hardship though....

6) Saturday is usually a busy day for departures and arrivals...each time we've been at SWH it has meant our room is not cleaned until very late in the day on a Saturday...usually around 5:00. This past Saturday the staff was so busy, we only experienced turn down service (which was funny since they had to make the bed to turn it down!). No worries...just understand if you are wanting to use your room to get ready for dinner, you might find it hasn't been cleaned or the staff might be in there late in the day.

7) absolutely no line-ups at the restaurants and the resort was at full occupancy. We eat between 6:30-7:00 and the only time we needed to wait for a table was at Bayside...and only because we requested to eat under the portico. Our wait was 15 minutes spent on the piazza sipping a cold glass of wine and socializing with other couples. I can't say one way or the other if there was a wait time later in the evening, but I didn't see any grumpy people ;)

8) I found more so this trip that the restaurants requiring resort evening wear were quite willing to seat those not dressed appropriately at the tables outdoors...there also seemed to be more tables outside each restaurant.

9) there is a new jerk shack added to the beach near the Riviera pool and it seemed to be very popular.

10) if you are thinking about an excursion, we loved doing the Black River Safari and YS Falls. We booked it through Island Routes.

11) we saw Butch Stewart and his son Adam during this stay. It was also announced at the Returnee's dinner that Beaches would be opening next to SWH and that a Greg Norman designed golf course would be built across from the resort...great news for golfers who previously have had to travel to get in a game.

SWH still delivers...we had a great time! Glad to answer any questions you might have.

Moorhead, Minnesota
Level Contributor
109 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

Thanks for the great insights!

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

Welcome home! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the property once again. This was wonderful feedback and I am glad you posted some of this since I have not had a chance to do so since my trip there in early December.

Adam & Butch have been talking about building that Beaches resort since they started construction on SWH. I sure wish they would stop talking about it and start building it already... : -)

Next stop...Sandals Emerald Bay, right??

Edited: 14 February 2011, 03:49
Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

IrieLady, we were so glad to hear it was a Beaches going in...last year we heard rumblings of a Riu! Our travel companions who just returned from Sandals Grande St. Lucia heard that a Beaches will be built near there too?

And yes, our daughter will be honeymooning at SWH on March 13 and at the same time we are heading to Sandals Emerald Bay to recuperate from the wedding! Hoping it becomes another favourite Sandals to return to!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

I read a couple of weeks ago that Sandals, via Gorstew holding company, is buying out the other investment partners which included a government agency. Approval was given last week I think. If the original business package included properties that the Riu had expressed interest in, the buy out may have freed up B&A to go ahead with a Beaches.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

Thanks, Travelpair!

How long did the Black River/YS Falls tour last?

Was the jerk shack open every day or just certain days?

How dressy was the repeat guest dinner?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

I'm hoping the Beaches still takes a while to come to fruition. The thing we love most about Whitehouse is its isolation with no other tourist civilization nearby. We were thinking of going back again next January--maybe we can get one more visit in before the area becomes too disturbed and crowded.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

AsTheCrowsFly...for the tour we left the resort at 9:00am and returned at 3:00pm. The tour included a stop for lunch as well. Black River is approx 30 mins from SWH and YS Falls in perhaps an additional 20-30 mins? (we don't wear watches on vacation so I'm only guessing!). We had plenty of time at YS Falls to do our own thing...the Chukka Zipline Canopy was also there and looked like great fun, plus there are a couple of pools to relax in while waiting for the jitney to take you back to the shuttle.

I'm not sure about the jerk shack hours...the daily activity sheet only lists it on Thurs, Sat and Sun as open 12:00-5:00pm. But I'm not sure if was open on other days and just not listed in the sheet.

Usually I find the Returnee's dinner at SWH to be dressier than at other Sandals (no jackets though for the men)...this time I found it less so. Some of the women did have some glitter...but not as many as at previous dinners. I noticed some men wearing sandals rather than closed-toe shoes. We always dress as we do for the resort evening wear restaurants, and the invitation to the dinner does say resort evening.

hoppersh...agree with you! We love the remoteness and privacy of SWH. But if a resort HAS to go in, I'm glad it's a Beaches. I don't know if a start date was mentioned for construction or if I just didn't hear it during the dinner. Hopefully we'll hear more as time goes on.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

Thanks, Travelpair! We always follow the dress code. I just didn't know if a sundress would be ok for the repeat dinner or if I needed something dressier. It'll be our 6th time at a Sandals resort but the first time at a repeater's dinner. Thought we'd try to get to it this time. :-)

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

oh I hope you do get to it! It's great fun meeting other returnees and hearing about their various experiences. Plus you are seated with one of the mgmt staff and I find it very enlightening talking with them. Not to mention...a great dinner, the latest news, the awarding of sandals pendants and free weeks and a gift bottle of rum for each couple!

You will be dressed perfectly in a sun dress...enjoy!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those heading to Sandals Whitehouse

Hey TP, thanks for your usual great report.

We, like Hoppersh, love the remoteness of the WH and no one on either side of the resort. But, if there is to be something, then I'm glad it is another Sandals property (Beaches). Did they say anthing about timing on the Beaches Resort or the new golf course?

Our bus ride was exactly 1 hour and 33 minutes, it really varies doesn't it.

We are set for next January already, #5 for the WH. We are just five weeks until SGSL!!