We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas/Flies

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fleas/Flies

Ok, I'm starting to see a troubling trend in the sand flea/fly area. Alot of people are telling stories that (in combination with a few other things) are making us reconsider our trip to SWH and Jamaica in general. How bad is it, REALLY?? We are beach people, and I'm honestly going to be really peeved if i go and get all bitten up and have a miserable time. I realize there isn't much a resort can do to control this, and Jamaica as a whole probably has the same issue all over, but it's starting to worry me. We're dropping alot of dough to do this and I know for less, we can stay somewhere else, like perhaps in the Dominican, where sand fleas, minibar stocking-based-on-room-class, slow "island time" service and a few other things are not an issue. We need some honest opinions from you, gang! Please tell us what you think.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

I've just read the latest feedback on SWH and am concerned regarding this issue as well. My wife was practically eaten alive when we visited the Florida Keys by "no-see-ums" which I've just read is another word for sand fleas. It ruined our time there so much we left and went to South Beach Miami We have a walkout room and if these little critters can make it into our room from the beach I might swallow the loss of deposits and go elseware.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

Any place that has sand and heat will also have sand fleas. They don't only inhabit Jamaica. Fact of life.

Michigan
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

I wouldn't reconsider your trip to Whitehouse because of this. We just returned a few weeks ago, I am VERY prone to bug bites (when we went to Whitehouse 2 years ago I got a ton of bites), this time I only had about 3! Sprayed with Avon Skin So Soft day and night, spent time on the beach (although not the whole time, we enjoyed the pool as well), and we were fine.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

"Any place that has sand and heat will also have sand fleas. They don't only inhabit Jamaica. Fact of life."

Worth repeating.

They aren't a Jamaican phenomenon.

Worst I ever experienced was in Florida.

With that said, Sandals Whitehouse was built on a swamp, so it may be more likely there than elsewhere.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

Is that last review what has you changing your plans? I hope you don't let the outrageousness of one deranged person ruin your chances of visiting such a great place.

Yes, there are bugs at Sandals Whitehouse--it is a tropical environment in which bugs thrive and while they do exist, they are not over-running the place and most people do not have any problems with them. This will be the same in whatever tropical environment you visit. Frankly, I get more bug bites in one evening on my back porch in hot and humid TN than I ever have in a week in the Caribbean.

I always wonder where people are from that bugs don't exist in their worlds and then they are horrified to see one on vacation in the tropics!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

We are Sandals regulars and have been to the WH four times, and are returning for #5 in January. Thank you hoppersh, you made very good points.

I am quite sure "some" visitors have experienced flies at the WH, but these same people will experience them where ever they go in a tropical enviroment. We have never had a single bit in all of our trips to the WH. And again, I am sure there are some visitors that will find them--but we have never met any such guests at the WH. We spend most of our time on the beach (which is the best ever), and lots of time at the three different pools.

There are other posts that talk about using different sprays if you seem to attract flies, we have never used any sprays.

The WH is an absolutely beautiful resort with privacy, a two mile sand beach, three of the best pools/swim-up bars, great restaurant choices, great staff, and tons of great water activites--and I wouldn't give it up for second because of the "possibitlity" of sand flies that are in all the caribbean settings.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

I just read the review....hmmmm....wonder if the reviewer will expect Sandals to reimburse them for their bedroom set and couch. Think I'd be going after the exterminator for not knowing the difference between a flea and a bed bug!

I don't get bitten when we travel in the Caribbean. My husband sometimes does. But it isn't something we worry about....it goes with the territory and we wouldn't let it prevent us from enjoying a beautiful Jamaican vacation!

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

I didn't know sand fleas could travel home with you and take over your house.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

I've previosly been to the caribean five times and full expect wide variety of bugs to be present. My concern is I've never seen the number of posts regarding this subject on one hotel before. Is the problem worse in this resort than others and are these bugs able to be transfered into the rooms and survive there?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Fleas/Flies

Blonde, not sure about if they transfer or not. As far as worst at the WH vs anywhere else, no, based on our 15 different Sandals trips in Jamaica, St. Lucia, and the Bahamas. The topic just started with this property and has gotten alot of hits. As we've said before, we have never experienced them or have never met guests that have.