We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you need to book excursions

Glenville, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
do you need to book excursions

my boyfriend and I are planning a 5 or 6 night stay at whitehouse. I am trying to decide on excursions. We are definitely going to Negril to spend the day. Should we book more excursions, is it worth it? I dont want us to be bored, but I would like more information. Will we be bored if we dont book excursions?

What tours would you recommend? How long are they? How is the Negril tour through Sandals- how long are you at Negril. Thanks in advance.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do you need to book excursions

I would only book ahead if you are going to use a private company outside of Sandals. Otherwise I always recommend waiting until you get there to see what you feel like doing. The resort is so amazing and there is always something going on, you might not want to leave! A day trip to Negril is a good idea though. We used Talk of The Town Tours (TOTTT) for the day and evening. When doing trips like this we like to have freedom of time and flexibility to see what ever we want. When you take the Sandals day trip you are on their timeline (which never seems long enough) and you go where they take you, nothing more nothing less. TOTTT was fabulous. When we booked I let them know that I wanted to go to Sandals Negril, wander the beach in Negril (not on Sandals property) and go to Ricks Cafe for sunset. Other than that I asked that the driver fill in the blanks and show us places that we would normally never see. He was so great! He took us all over the place and we saw things that I would have never known existed, really off the beaten path for sure. We had some of the best food we have ever had in Jamaica that night. Keep in mind if you are going to book TOTTT you must do it well in advance as it is a very small privately ran business that books quickly.

Now with all that being said, Sandals Whitehouse does have some great organized trips such as the Appleton Rum Estate tour that is worth taking and a few others. But like I said, you should wait until you get there to see what you feel like doing. Sand gravity at Whitehouse is a very powerful phenomenon!!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,905 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: do you need to book excursions

I agree with Kat-wait. Not only is your resort amazing the entire area around Whitehouse is as well. Nearby you have Belmont home of Peter Tosh, Bluefield Beach is a must see!! An excursion to Mayfield Falls would be great. If you don't mind a group thing then you can go with the resort or maybe you befriend a smaller goup of people and get a private taxi.

...you will never be bored in Jamaica!

PEACE!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do you need to book excursions

We've done tours on previous trips, but we're planning to stay on site for this one. I'm looking forward to some much needed relaxation so the furthest I'm hoping to travel is from my chair to the swim-up bar! :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do you need to book excursions

We will be going to the WH in January for the fifth time, and have never even thought of the word bored--just not in the vocabulary at the WH.

We also choose to just enjoy the WH beach, the three pools/swim-up bars, super restaurants, endless activites, ect. Oh, and just relax on the beach. Sunny, I love your travel plan, sounds like mine.

Definately just wait on the tours until you get to the WH.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do you need to book excursions

I agree with Kat - wait till you get to the resort to book your excursions unless you're going with a private company. Then you can visit the tour office and get more information and see what appeals to you. The Island Routes tour people are great and can help you with your questions.

We did the Pelican Bar tour, which was really neat. YS Falls is beautiful too.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do you need to book excursions

Crow, how did you do the PB trip? I know there are several ways of getting there, from other posts.

We are seriously looking at doing it in January.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do you need to book excursions

The Black River Safari and YS Falls excursion through Island Routes includes lunch, leaves the resort at 9:00am and gets you back by 3:00pm. We enjoyed it very much and booked it spontaneously the day before we went.

ATCF...I'm also interested in knowing about the Pelican Bar tour. Is it do-able for someone with knee issues...for instance how easy/difficult is it getting out of the boat and up to the bar?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do you need to book excursions

Hey Dale, BRS and YS sounds good too. But, you know us, we don't want to give up too many days on the resort.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do you need to book excursions

Shorty, I've got the tour brochure from Island Routes. I checked the Let's Go Native tour that goes to Negril. The brochure says the tour lasts from 10 to 7:30.

RandB, we did the Pelican Bar tour with Island Routes. The catamaran stops on the way to the Pelican Bar so you can snorkel. It was about an hour or so ride back and when we got close to the resort, the tour guides got everyone dancing. There was an open bar on board and a little bit of food (muffins and sandwiches) but I'd highly recommend taking some money with you so you can buy food at the Pelican Bar.

Travelpair, they will transfer you from the catamaran to the Pelican Bar on a small dingy (6 people at a time). Don't worry, they will help you on and off the dingy. The only problem I can see with knee issues is climbing up the stairs into the bar. The steps are kind of like a ladder made of driftwood. The driftwood is pretty wide though so it's not as bad as climbing a ladder and it's only a few steps.

The brochure says the tour is from 9:30 to 1:30 but I think we got back closer to 2:30. We had some rough waters getting out to the bar so we probably went more slowly than normal. The ride back was a lot smoother.

Island Routes has a YS Falls only tour if you don't want to be gone from the resort all day. It goes from 10 to 2. The falls are really beautiful.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do you need to book excursions

Thank you ATCF's.

Get answers to your questions about White House