We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

OK, just thought I'd like to gather a little more info on the Pelican Bar that I have heard alot about.

We are Sandals regulars and have been to Sandals WH four times, with #5 coming up in January. We usually don't do much touring, we just like to enjoy the resort. But, with the PB not being to far from the WH we thought we'd give it a try.

My understanding of the PB is that it is a very small local bar, out in the water! Sounds good to us for at least one visit.

What have been your experiences with it? Is it worth going to see? What are the different ways of going to see it? If you have been there, what have been the costs to get there? What is out there for the drinks at the bar and what about any possible food options?

Thanks for any input.

335 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

I know the PB has come up as a part of several other posts and I was hoping to simply gather alot of it into this one post if possible. Thanks.

Lumberton, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

I'm interested in reading these responses too as we're heading to SWH from 11/4-11/10 and this was one of the tours we were interested in doing. Also, just found out that its Reunion Week while we're there. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing??

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

We have been to Sandals many times, but never during reunion week. It is NOT be a problem at all. With four past trips to the WH we have never seen a problem with crowds. Most of the times the WH was sold out. They do an outstanding job with there guests and space.

Yes, the Pelican sounds like one of those places to see if you like to do the "local" thing once in awhile.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

We did the PB when we stayed at Beaches Sandy Bay. We used TOTT. They picked us up at the resort, and drove to Treasure Beach, which is where Captain Dennis picked us up. We actually drove right by the entrance to SWH. Capt. Dennis is a great guy, very knowledgeable, and very experienced. Unfortunately one of the couples from another resort who were on our excursion overslept, and we were over an hour late leaving Negril. We were told by Sienna (of TOTT) and Capt. Dennis the early AM hours are your best chance for seeing the dolphins on your way out to the PB. We didn't arrive until probably close to 11 AM (due to the oversleeping couple) so we most likely missed the chance to see them. Plus, it was July when we were there and that's another "slow" dolphin month.

It really is an amazing place. I've heard that if you want to eat lunch out there, you need to order the food ahead of time. We all just had drinks, and enjoyed sitting on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean. I really think this is one of those places that shouldn't be missed - a real bucket list item! :-)

And you'll love Floyd, the owner. Lots of people carve their names into the walls, floors, etc.

Can't tell you what we paid - it was 3 years ago, and the price was based on coming from Negril. I'm sure you can find pictures here on TA, but if you want to see some of mine, send me a PM with your email.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

RandB...thanks for posting this. We too would like to do the Pelican Bar in February, so will be watching the responses.

Winnekini...would love to see dolphins in the wild and I never knew that early hours would be the best chance...will keep it in mind for when we book.

LiveForVacations...the fall reunion week celebrates Sandals 30th anniversary...would love to be there for the different events! To me it would be a good thing...enjoy!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Thank you Winnekini. I have heard of TOTT, good things.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Winnekini has it down. Coming from WH you don't have nearly as long a drive as s/he did from Negril. http://www.captain-dennis.com/ is Dennis' web site. He can pick you up from Whitehouse (not sure if at Sandals or at an adjacent beach), you don't have to go to TB. Cost depends on # of people going and if you want to also do Black River.

I've also heard Sandals may be doing a cruise to PB. Personally that's not the way I'd go if you want the "local" experience, too many people at one time for the place, but there it is.

You can eat if you order ahead, Dennis can call in the order for you on the way. You can also, as mentioned, continue with Dennis up Black River and see crocs and birds and some breathtaking scenery, even continue up past where the tour boats cannot go and swim, way up where the water is crystal clear and there are zero crocs :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Ohliz, are you talking pick-up by Dennis via boat or car?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Boat.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

OK, I heard about the boat pick-up, something new. That sounds like a good idea. We will be looking into this one.

Reply to: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted