We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Flea Repellent

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Sand Flea Repellent

Hubby to be and I are going to Sandals Whitehouse for our honeymoon. My sister just got back from her honeymoon at another Sandals resort and was giving me a few tips. One thing she mentioned was Sand fleas. They didn’t bother her that much but she suggested that we take bug spray when we go. Is there a special kind of bug spray that we need or would just regular OFF work?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

There are many different posts on that topic for the WH. Just key in the sand flies topic and there are many ideas.

We have been to the WH many times and have never had a problem with and therefore have not taken any repellents.

I will have TP55 contact you, she has some ideas on this one.

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

Wear flea collars around your ankles.

amsterdam
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

There actually are coiled rings infused with natural repellants you can wear on your wrists and ankles. They look like those key holders you see a lot of people using to hold a key when working.

We used them a few times and were pretty happy with the results even at the beach party.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

Can't speak to the beach specifically at Whitehouse but in my experience with the beaches in Negril its best if you can get off the beach by 4:00pm - the sand fleas come on strong around sunset.

I've found that OFF with 7% DEET has worked well for me for both mosquitos and sand fleas but I got turned on to Cutter a couple of years ago - it comes in stick form, really easy to carry around and apply and doesn't smell or get sticky. It has more DEET that I'd like but hey - they give the folks at the World Bank those things to combat the mosquitoes in Africa and it does work like gangbusters.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

I'm not a bug magnet, but sometimes as a precaution if we are on the beach at dusk or dawn or after a rainfall, we will use Deep Woods Off Towelettes. I find them very easy to pack in the luggage....no chance of leakage. I guess they've been effective because we haven't had any issues with sand flea bites!

There is lots of great advice on the forums on this very issue(perhaps use the general Jamaica forum to plug in a search) ...from people who suggest regular over the counter type repellents, to vitamin B shots, to Skin-so Soft, to lemon juice or rum!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

Thanks TP. We have never been bothered by this in all our trips to the WH. Your towelettes and the Cutters Stick sounds like good ideas though for the few that have a problems with the flies.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

eat lots of garlic - it'll keep those annoying 2 legged bugs away too ;<)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

And everyone else too!!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

I pack the towelettes now because i can carry them on without having to put them in my liquids baggie. I prefer not to check luggage.

But i also make a point of getting off the sand at sunset, they're just vicious then, and the mosquitoes come out around that time as well.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Flea Repellent

RG...if you happen to come back to this thread...how much deet does the Cutter brand have that you use? I haven't seen that brand in Canada but I like the fact it comes in a stick form. The Deep Woods Off towelettes are 25% deet.