We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the Whitehouse

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to the Whitehouse

We just returned from Sandals Antigua, and while there booked a week at the Whitehouse for next January. This will be our fourth sandals vacation, the other three being Antigua, Royal Bahamian, and Grande St. Lucia. Has anyone used an alternate mode of transportation to reach the White House, other than standard transfer van? Both of us, me more so than my wife, tend to motion sickness on twisty turny roads. When we stayed at St. Lucia we helicoptered form the big airport on the southern coast to the small airport near the Grande. Anything like this available there?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

Bobthenailer, yes, there is a helicopter ride from MBJ to SWH. The cost is $650, half that if there is another couple sharing. Take a look at the Top Questions list on the right of this forum and click on Private drivers/taxi. This is a consolidated list of TA posters recommendations. There is a heli service recommended at the bottom of the list, Island Hoppers.

Have fun at the WH, it is our favorite (& we have been to SRB and SGSL too).

United States
Level Contributor
11,091 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

Many people take the helicopter in place of the bus. There are two companies that offer this service: Captain John's Island Hoppers (876) 974-1285 and Jamaica Customized Vacations & Services (876) 863-1798. They both fly from the Montego Bay airport to Whitehouse. Helicopter transfers are one of the fastest ways to get to Whitehouse and the ride gives you a bonus aerial view of Jamaica. Both companies have web sites. You should get a quote from both before you book.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

I'm guessing either one would be good. However, this was my experience, and may have been just a one time thing.

We looked into doing the heli during our very recent trip to the WH, but wanted to share with another couple too help with the cost (the heli can handle two couples). I called both places.

First call was to Island Hoppers and had a very good converation with Sue. I explained what I wanted about sharing and she explained what she could do. Basically she would put the word out to her travel agents and others and would keep in contact once a week about the progress. We in fact did communicate each week.

My next call was to Customized Vacations and they sounded busy and like they were in the middle of something so they said they would call me back. They never did call back and I chose not to call them a second time.

But, they may have just been a one time communications problem. Hoppersh (another regular TA poster) has used Island Hoopers several times and swears by them.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 16:05
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
495 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

RandBTravel,

Your posts offer a wealth of info, and you expertly guide folks in a huge number of forums. Your time and expertise are much appreciated. Thank you!

My husband and I have spent over 200 nights with Sandals in less than 10 years, and I need to start posting on TripAdvisor to share my impressions and photos. I have been to every single Beaches and Sandals property and have stayed at a few of them 3-5 times, so I have some frame of reference to offer.

I just booked a May 2013 (8 night) SWH trip and am very excited. Haven't been to SWH since October 2005! I'm going to be following posts for a helicopter and/or private transfer ride, as well as forums on the Pelican Bar and other excursions. I've never been in a helicopter or done any excursions near Whitehouse, so this may be the year!

By the way, I'm a PADI Advanced Open Water scuba diver, so I'll be following the diving posts, too. I hope to become Rescue Diver certified at SWH.

All the best,

DolphinDiver

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

Thank you so much DolphinDiver, your comments are truly appreciated and it is people like you that keep me plugging away at it. We love to travel and enjoy sharing our experiences.

Yes, you do need to start posting on TA and sharing your wealth of experience from your many Sandals visits. Please feel free to add to the existing helicopter forum and the private driver forum on TA that we have going.

You won't even recognize the WH since your 2005 visit. There have been countless changes and upgrades. SWH is our favorite and will be returning there again in just 6 days. I hope to post on-site comments during our stay on my SWH On-site forum.

Again, thanks for the very nice comments and I will be looking forward to your further posts on TA.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

bradthenailer (great handle!) - I too get motion sick and when we were in St Lucia, we got a private transfer back to Hewanorra airport and it was great.

Been 3 times to SWH with the 4th coming up and the drive hasnever bothered me - peppermint gum with a/c blasting on me and I have been good!

Sandals offer private transfers, through Island Routes... and your luggage will definitely travel with you!

Something to consider... ENJOY!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

Denise, Bobthenailer has ended up hiring a Private Driver based on his last post to me. He tried doing the heli but had trouble getting a shared ride.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
495 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

RandBTravel,

My husband and I were at Sandals Grande Riviera in Ocho Rios September 2012 (8 nights) for our 5th visit. We used Courtney Taylor (1st time) for our private transfer. I saw his info mentioned on one of your forums. We were pleased with his service.

I'm not savvy (yet) with the TA forums, so I'll have to figure out how to try to solicit a ride share for either a helicopter ride or a private car transfer for our May 7th - 15th trip from/to MoBay to SWH.

I hope you have a wonderful trip to SWH and can't wait to see what you have to say when you get back. Other than the road trip, the other thing I'm concerned about are the sand fleas. I'm a bug magnet!

nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

RandB... thanks for the info... hopefully he can find a share for next Jan if he really wants the Heli transfer-plenty of time yet... failing that he has Plan B in place!

One of these days, I will just 'splurge' and do the heli - a bitter pill to swallow though as that could give us another night at Sandals!

You're close to your return to SWH - we are 3 months away :o(

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to the Whitehouse

DolphinDiver, thanks for the info on Courtney. When you start posting on other forums, make sure to make comment on Courtney on The List forum. Also get on the heli list forum. Both of these are shown in the upper right corner of this page. They are actually working on repaving the WH road right now! We have never had trouble with the flies, and most everyone we talk to have not had problems. But I do understand that some folks attract them.