We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

Omaha, Nebraska
11 posts
Save Topic
Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

Anyone experience terrible bug bites after their trip? We returned home on Saturday and now almost a week later I have bad bites. They are tiny and have a red center sting. I'm paranoid about bed bugs but my husband doesnt have them.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

It's sand fleas. The resort beach at SWH is notorious for them.

My g/f also had pleanty and pleanty more after we got home. Just google sandals whitehouse sand fleas and you will see what i mean.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

Try Afterbite and Benadryl. Scratch them enough and they could take months to heal and you'll have scars.

The funny thing about those bites is that some get them and some don't. Women seemed to get more than me, so I thought it was hormonal, but then was bitten badly in the Turks, and my wife wasn't.

WH is one place that we've had virtually no problem with.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

The more I learn about bed bugs, unfortunately the more worse I feel rather than the better. However, if you google what bed bug bites look like, I bet it won't look like what you have. Also, bed bugs tend to bite you in a line. You probably would have noticed bed bug bites when you woke up rather than later, too. I have not heard of bed bugs in Jamaica hotels yet. *fingers crossed*

Powhatan, VA
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

I have been eaten up the last two trips and NOTHING on my hubby. The other couple we traveled with ate her up and not her husband.

I am taking bug repellent for our next trip and applying before suncreen for sure...

I had terrible red bumps ALL over in places i didn't know that could itch!!

I also thought it was bed bugs, but they got worse when I got home. The doctor said they would look worse before better.

Benadryl after helped w/itching but not the defense of more bites.

EVERY time i walked outside it came in the room w/more bites.

I laid at the pool and got bit...couldn't win...just kept drinking!!

Be proactive and see if that helps next time...SGR in Jan. 2013!

Hopefully the sand fleas won't find me there.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

We have been very lucky with no sand flies at all in our five past trips, with January being the most recent. I know they continue to spray regularly. Some are effected and some are not. It is a Caribbean thing, not just Jamaica.

Omaha, Nebraska
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

Thanks sooo much for your advice guys! Do you think it's normal that I didnt have bites when I was there, but now I have them?

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

"Do you think it's normal that I didnt have bites when I was there, but now I have them?"

Yes, entirely possible. People react differently to the sand flea bites.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

Yup, we have heard of that also.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

RandB is right, they are throughout the Caribbean, not just in Jamaica and they usually hunt me down, leave my husband alone, but even this time at Whitehouse hubby got bites on his back and three on his face this time even with bug dope being used.

Again, we usually stay away from the sand after sunset, so none of the BBQ nights for us and we are careful following rains... they are out more with increased humidity as well.

So, use a really good repellent to minimize bites, take 'afterbite' or use rum to reduce itching and an antihistamine will also help if bitten.

Just don't let it affect your enjoyment... roll with 'em!

massachusetts
Level Contributor
534 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bug Bites at Whitehouse Jamaica??

i got torn up this past April but not one on my wife. definetely not bed bugs.. i never saw what it was that was getting me so i presume i was a sand flea's moving buffet. bring some witch hazel /afterbite these are available in most resort gift shops as well as insect spray . "Deet" is the best repellent ingrediant, but is not a great ingrediant to be applying to your skin so shower when you go into your room and wash it off asap when you can. go and enjoy..

Get answers to your questions about White House