We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

Hi All,

So excited to be leaving so soon! Finally! But now I have a few questions... Thank you in advance for your help.

Are there candles in the rooms? We will be celebrating our 10yr anniversary and I'm hoping for a few candlelight dinners on our own but I really don't want to have to pack candles.

Also, does anyone have experience with the scuba? We want to do it but the posts on here seem to lead me to think the water is better elsewhere, so maybe we should just skip it (save our $$) and just snorkel.

And... The Pelican bar, thinking of doing it but wonder how much of the day does it take up? We were really thinking of just staying put at the resort and chilling but the Pelican Bar seems so different than anything I've ever seen.

How about a Roll Call... Thursday July 5th - Wednesday July 11th

:( will be missing the chocolate buffet... so sad

Thank you and I just may have some more questions later!! :)

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

Hi TS, I can't answer all of your questions, but I wanted to make sure you knew about the specials Island Routes (the tour company) is currently running. First of all, The Pelican Bar tour is on sale from $105 pp to $85pp... and THEN you also buy one get one free right now. So, you're looking at $42.50pp for a trip that is normally more than twice that price! Quite the deal! I believe it's only a 4 hour or so trip from what I've read. We recently booked our Sunset Cruise BOGO and wow, it's nice to be paying 1/2 price. If you go to the site, you won't see the BOGO super clear, but if you ask about it, they will give you more details. I had the site up for a bit, and someone popped up to chat... that made it easy to ask my 1,000 questions, and then I could call her direct to book. Very simple process. When I chatted with her she told me all tours were BOGO. Another couple we've been in touch with booked YS and Black River for BOGO as well.

I think you can also just take a cab to the area vs. the catamaran if you wish (I love the catamaran experience myself), and that might make it even cheaper and quicker, but I don't know the details on that... but, may be worth researching if you'd like a quicker trip.

We didn't have candles in our room when we stayed in Negril, but we had butlers who on our wedding night had put candles all over the room, and even added to the number that were there throughout the week so we had quite a few to use, so if you have butlers this most likely won't be a problem... if not, I'd take a few travel candles... (you can buy them at places like Bath and Body Works, and they are in little tins.)

As for Roll Call we arrive the 29th, and leave on the 6th... I'm sure we'll be desperately jealous of anyone who is just arriving!!!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

There are no candles in the rooms. At Sandals where we've had butlers, they have lit candles for the room and left them burning waiting for us to come back from an outing....personally the fire hazard of unattended candles scares the beejeezus out of me and I wish they would restrict all candle use (butler and guests alike) to being flameless!

Scuba is included so won't cost extra $$ unless you need to take the resort course starting at $80.

The Pelican Bar tour is approx 9:30am-2:00pm.

Have a great time!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

Travelpair, I had to laugh at your post- when we walked into a room full of candles, it wasn't the romantic setting I first commented upon, it was, oh my goodness, unattended candles are so not safe! :)))

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

We will be at SWH July 7 - 14, then to SCI 14-21.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

Hi TS! We will be there from the 29th-12th. We also did the BOGO. Great deal! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

TFW...lol...the unattended candles weren't the only thing which impacted the romantic mood...our whirlpool tub had been filled to capacity with bubbles, and I'm short enough that I couldn't sit in the tub without drowning or breathing in the bubbles, and I kept floating to the surface to keep my head above water....the minute my hubby got in, we had water overflowing onto the floor like Niagara Falls... we were laughing so hard that neither one of us could find the plug to let the water out nor could we manage to get ourselves out of the tub! We are still laughing about that experience!

nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

too funny travelpair 55! Hopefully it did not leak down a floor!

I have found an 'emergency' candle in the nightstand but certainly not for romance... I usually pack some - also helps air out some rooms!

enjoy... please have a cosmo for me and an appletini for my better half!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

Travelpair, that is definitely a story for the books! Hilarious!

Midland, Texas...
Level Contributor
100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

Just got back and pelican bar is a must. we did a private driver because the catamaran was not going on the days we were there. It is a must do.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
517 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving July 5th & have a few questions & A Roll Call

instead of packing candles you can purchase battery operated flicker candles that are now widely used throughout the restaurant industry. dollar stores have them as well as most dept stores and kitchen supply dealers.these are safe and look to be very realistic. we always bring a dozen or so and spread them thru the room. they never failed to bring on the mood. and you can fall asleep with out worry. as for scuba its free but takes a day prep and then the day of scuba. as for pelican bar i would say its a 50/50 decision and one you should make once at whitehouse.. Enjoy our home while we are away