We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Sandals, lots of questions

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New to Sandals, lots of questions

Hi,

I am new to sandals resorts, my wife and I usually cruise for vacation but its a big birthday for her this May and we are looking to change it up. So we decided to stay at the Sandals Whitehouse resort. I have some questions I hope you all can answer for me. Thanks in advance! I'm glad I found this place part of the fun of vacationing for me is reading all the information about the place that I can.

1. What would you say is the average age group at the resort? We're in our late 20's

2. We were looking to go around May 17th to 25th. Do you think 8 days is a good amount of time to spend there? Also what is the weather like at the end of May

3. My wife and I love to ballroom dance, is there any ballroom dancing there? I wasn't able to find anything about that

4. Does anyone have any experience getting the kayaks? Do you just go out into the ocean and paddle around? (there are gigantic man eating sharks in the ocean, I've seen Jaws)

5. We won't be able to afford Butler room but is it worth it at all to get a concierge room? We don't plan on leaving the resort at all and really just expect to spend most of the time lounging and reading.

6. Do all rooms have room service or just a few? I noticed in the features for the rooms only a few of them have a room service feature.

I also noticed that they have a 65% off sale running right now for the next 13 hours 17 minutes 13 seconds(or so). Do they run a lot of these sales or should we book asap to try and get the best deal.

Thanks again! sorry for all the questions

Island Routes Caribbean Adventures - South Coast
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours, River Rafting & Tubing
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

We've never stayed at SWH...but are looking to visit next April, 2013 so all I'll comment on is your last comment around the 65% off sale idea. Sandals is always running some kind of 'sale'. Sandals actively practices capacity control pricing across their resort platforms. So prices vary...it's a fact of life wrt to Sandals. IMO, and again, stressing, my opinion, is since you are settled on dates it appears, book now, in the room category you want. That way you have peace of mind and price guarantee vs. waiting and never knowing.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

And in addition to SRC's comments, if the price goes down after you have booked, you can get the lower price. If it goes up, no worries about it changing as you are locked in to that price. As long as you haven't paid in full (which is due 45 days before you travel), you can call and get the lower price adjusted.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

4: There is a watersports clubhouse or desk where you sign in to use any of the water vehicles. You are free to use them how you please. I wouldn't stray out of sight, though, and I wouldn't worry about sharks!

5&6 You only get room service with concierge or butler level suites. Concierge service also gives you a more exclusive check-in, and somewhere you can go (the concierge office) too make reservations, etc.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

Winnekini: Thanks for pointing out the price certainty aspect...I just had a brain cramp and forgot to mention that policy and practice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
295 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

1. What would you say is the average age group at the resort? We're in our late 20's

Us too. Usually most couples are older, but there are always honeymooners and some folks in their 20s-30s.

5. We won't be able to afford Butler room but is it worth it at all to get a concierge room? We don't plan on leaving the resort at all and really just expect to spend most of the time lounging and reading.

Not in my opinion. All rooms are essentially the same and have an ocean view. All restaurants are no reservation. I'm perfectly happy booking the lowest category. Save the extra $$ for an excursion or for the spa!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

I've seen a whole range of ages at Sandals, going from honeymooners in their 20s, through to retired couples in their 70s and everything in-between.

I usually go to Jamaica at the end of May and usually stay for 7 days, so that extra day to make it 8 would be most welcome :> There is a very good chance that it will rain most days that you are there. However, more often than not, the morning will be perfect, the clouds will start to bubble up in the early afternoon and there will be a thunderstorm later in the afternoon, before it all clears up again for the evening, so no biggie.

I've stayed at resorts that have room service and/or butlers, but I'm not really a fan of those services, so I don;t often use them. I would prefer to to go out and get my own things and mix with the rest of the vacationers, than be stuck in my own room.

When I stayed at Whitehouse, I stayed in the lowest category but one, got an upgrade to the next level up (French village, higher floor) and thoroughly enjoyed myself without any of the extras that were offered for the higher categories. I never had a problem with getting into a restaurant for dinner and never had an issue with finding a lounger with suitable shade on the beach.

I don't recall ballroom dancing at any of the resorts I've stayed at in Jamaica.

Sandal's are always advertising some sale or another (kind of deceptive if you ask me, as there is probably not a single inhabitant of this planet that has ever paid the full rack rack for a room at Sandal's) and from experience, the best savings are to be had, the longer the lead time to departure. A particular week, may start off at 65% off and then a few weeks later drop to 60%, then 50% and then 40%, etc. There are times where, if bookings are slow that they might throw in an offer for a free night or two, so there is a chance that the overall price may be cheaper closer to departure time. 50% off and two free nights might be cheaper than say 65% off and no free nights that was booked much earlier.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

1. What would you say is the average age group at the resort? Very difficult to pin a demographic. We are in our mid to late 50's and yet our son and daughter each spent their honeymoons at SWH. Age just isn't an issue there!

2. Do you think 8 days is a good amount of time to spend there? Any length of time able to be spent in Jamaica is good! We started out visiting for a week and now have increased our stays up to 20 days, but we like to do split stays among different Sandals resorts. Keep in mind that your first and last days will be taken up with travelling, but you will still have 6 full days to enjoy the resort!

3. My wife and I love to ballroom dance, is there any ballroom dancing there? I've never seen organized ballroom dancing at any Sandals resort. But where there is music, there will be dancing and we've seen all kinds of dancing on the piazza at night at SWH.

4. Does anyone have any experience getting the kayaks? Do you just go out into the ocean and paddle around? Yes you do, and you must wear lifejackets.

5. We won't be able to afford Butler room but is it worth it at all to get a concierge room? Only you can determine if the added cost is worth it. With concierge you will have an in-room bar, room service, dinner reservations (though no restaurants require reservations at SWH), robes, assistance with making tour arrangements etc. Concierge rooms also put you only in the Italian or Dutch Villages. We've stayed concierge and standard several times and are happy with either...but do lean more toward concierge now as we enjoy having an in-room bar and a snack from room service in the late afternoon.

6. Do all rooms have room service or just a few? Concierge rooms (7:00am-10:00pm) and butler rooms (24 hr) have room service.

As mentioned above, as long as you've only paid the down payment, and up to the time full payment is due, you can request a price adjustment should the room price decrease. For our earlier trips this year, we were able to take advantage of several price decreases and in fact upgraded our room for one of them because the price of the upgrade was quite reasonable.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

Thanks everyone for the responses. We booked just a standard room and are very excited. Just 10 months to go

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,255 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

Congrats ScottG43, you will love the WH. TP has really covered things quite well. I know TP has pictures of the WH, as do I. Feel free to send a request via a PM. Otherwise, most of those pictures are one of my WH posts.

10. Re: New to Sandals, lots of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about White House