We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

compare to Maldives???

Stevenage
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
compare to Maldives???

Hi all, having been to the Maldives on a number of occasions, we are going to SWH for my 50th this year, the last time I was in the Caribbean was in my Army days when I had some R&R in Cancun before the big developments, and I loved it. Will I enjoy it as much as the Maldives, in as much as peace & quiet, pristine sand, crystal clear, warm, waters & excellent food/drink. I know some will say we will have a brilliant time, and, judging by the reviews, it looks as though we have chosen well. Please advise.

Island Routes Caribbean Adventures - South Coast
Boat Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Swim with Dolphins, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: compare to Maldives???

You will enjoy Jamaica, but its not the Maldives. I have not been to the Maldives, but I think might be one of the few Countries to top Jamaica for beaches and scenery.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,249 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: compare to Maldives???

We have been to Jamaica 14 times and know you will find what you are looking for, and yes, you have chosen well. As far as the Maldives, we have never been there and would never venture to guess at what it would be like.

Another idea, perhaps you could add your forum to the Caribbean forums and you may get even more responses rather then just here in the WH forum. Enjoy.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: compare to Maldives???

Some pics of the Maldives:

www.google.com/search…

Stevenage
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: compare to Maldives???

Thanks guys, going the latter part of next month, so I hope I've chosen the right season, also heard Appleton rum is back on the agenda.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: compare to Maldives???

Should be nice weather with most of the rainy season passed. Jamaica is very lush with lots of hills and mountains.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,249 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: compare to Maldives???

Yup, weather should be good and lots of Appleton Rum, it is back! Since this appears to be your first time to SWH please feel free to ask questions or send a PM. Also, if you haven't done so make sure to take a look at the "What's New . ." forum in this WH area. There are lots of recent comments and pictures.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 02:03
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: compare to Maldives???

At the very least you should enjoy saving 24 hours+ of flying/driving/boating.

Stevenage
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: compare to Maldives???

Flying time is relatively the same as the Maldives, approx 11 hours from the UK, but once you reach the main island (Male), its a hop on a seaplane (Air Taxi) and a 40 minute flight with some stunning scenery.This time we are actually looking forward to the 90 minute drive from the airport to SWH, despite the critical reviews on the roads, to see parts of Jamaica we would not normally experience. Incidently, there are hundreds Islands in the Maldives, not all are 40 minutes away from the main island.

england
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: compare to Maldives???

This is probably a stupid reply as I have never been to the Maldives, but my Son and several clients have. I do not think there is a realistic comparison they are so very different, it's a bit like asking if the islands in |Thailand compare to Jamaica - just different worlds, doesn't mean one is better than the other, it just depends what you are looking for.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: compare to Maldives???

Ah yes, in that case it would be closer to even.

I am looking forward to the drive as well. I don't get car sick and I love to see new area's.