We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kids and sandals??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
kids and sandals??

We want to take a family vacation, I am not a fan of some of the all inclusives.. would our kids 26, 24, 20 be out of place at this resort. They have all just finished a year of University and need some R&R

thanks

sandy

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kids and sandals??

Sandy, all Sandals are couples-only, that may effect your choices. SWH is our favorite and is a great A-1.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kids and sandals??

Although if you talk to the Sandals reps on the phone they are now telling people that Sandals properties are good for Mother Daughter trips, family trips etc. Open to all who are 18 and older.

Yes I did call....just to see if this were true. Simply amazing.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kids and sandals??

I think if your kids were truly single, without someone accompanying them, they might feel out of place during some of the activities, like say a couples trivia game at night. If your kids were looking for like minded singles...Sandals is definitely NOT the place to go just because they will be in a very, very small minority.

But if they brought along significant others, no problem mon. We brought along our 24 year old son and his girlfriend to SRC last spring and they had a ball. Now having said all this, most of the activities and events are couples friendly, but at the end of the day, do not require couples. For example, I always play beach and pool volleyball or go snorkeling by myself, since my wife has ZERO interest in doing those types of things. I'm not treated any differently by staff or other guests during any of my solo excursions on property whilst my wife soaks up the sun on her lounger. As she says, "If you get hurt...you'll know where they can find me...have fun. And oh by the way...I'd like a strawberry daquiri on your way back here when you are done."

Edited: 30 November 2012, 16:19
United States
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kids and sandals??

Sandals resorts in Jamaica are all quality properties. You need to keep in mind, however, the type of traveler Sandals is marketing to. According to the company website "Sandals Resorts are the top romantic travel destinations in the Caribbean." This is because "Sandals delights couples in love" as it "is the leader in Caribbean destination weddings and honeymoon packages."

Sandals is designed for destination weddings, honeymoons, and couples who want to be romantic. I think that the kids, or most other singles, would feel out of place at Sandals unless they each came with a boyfriend/girlfriend. But then the question is would mom and dad be happy?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kids and sandals??

Sandals is mostly couples so they would probably get bored easily and not have that many people their age to interact with, therefore you might be better off booking with Iberostar, Jewels, Braco or RIU

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kids and sandals??

I would recommend Iberostar Grand or Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in MoBay. Having stayed at sandals (which I love but I am married, so a couple) and Rose Hall Suites with my family, your kids would be much happier I think at one of the Iberostars than at a sandals.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kids and sandals??

I am not sure why Sandals has begun telling non-couples to come. Didn'y you used to have to get special permission for the GM to even be able to come not as a couple?

Regardless of that, I still wouldn't recommend it if you aren't a couple on because everything is designed for two people. Dinner tables are set for two, beach chairs are set up for two, one king bed is for two, etc. Now, my husband and I don't really do anything seperately, so we literally spend all day, everyday, while we're there together. I don't have siblings, but I can honestly say that there isn't anyone else I'd want to spend that much time with other than my husband. No offense to my mom, but we've go on trips to Disney and California together, and by the end we were ready to kill each other, lol! And we were distracted by events we went there for, but you do stand in line together a lot a Disney. Anyway, my point being, the resort is designed for couples to spend every minute together and be romantic, etc. If a mother and daughter get along that well and are ok with sharing a bed, then you might enjoy it. We have people who are there not as a couple, and they have enjoyed it, too.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kids and sandals??

Here here BSB. Well said. Sandals is not the first place I'd pick for non couple oriented guests. Staying within the Sandal corporate family, Beaches would be a better option.

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kids and sandals??

When our daughter got married at SRC in 2008 we had 22 people come down and there were two rooms for sure that were brother, sister and one that wehere both cousins, that shared rooms, they had a great time. You don't have to partake in the couples games if you don't want to, this last trip (just home a week) there were if I remember correctly a Father, daughter, a Aunt and Neice, a Mother Son, and girlfreind girlfreind, so I think it is just how comfortable you are with the association, so if your family is fine with it then go, but you should know that they only have rates for two people per room so you may have to recruit someone to fill a spot, our son shared a room with my best friend when we went for our daughter's wedding, he was 19 she was 32 depends upon your view.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kids and sandals??

bythedozens, I am sure that for a wedding party the cousins and brother and sister had a good time, they had each other to hang with.

I would not recommend Sandals.