We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

We are heading into Sandals Whitehouse on January 1, arriving late in the evening. Looking for tips and tricks to make our stay as memorable as possible :) Already know to be prepared with repellant for the sand flea issue and Gravol for the bus ride in. What else should we be prepared for, besides the obvious pampring? Anybody else going to be there at the same time? I know we have a Penthouse Honeymoon Concierge suite, but beyond that, this is our first Sandals visit - and from what we are reading, it likely won't be our last :)

Thanks!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

Gayle, welcome to TA and SWH. The WH is our favorite and we will be there for #6 in January too (24-31). For tons of good info check out the links I have listed below. Read through them for current info and pictures on SWH. We started a forum called the "January SWH Invastion Crew" just for fun and have 39 couples signed in on it, take a look at it and get signed in, you would make it an even 40 couples from TA that will be at SWH in January! Look thru the links below and certainly feel free to ask question on them after to read thru them. Sign-up on the I-Crew!!

January roll-call check-in:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1009314-i12763-k5…

What's New at SWH:

Live on-site reports at SWH:

massachusetts
Level Contributor
516 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

Expect about a hour and a quarter bus ride. Bumpy, sometimes fast ,some times slow. Please don't expect a room upgrade if you get one than great but if not you get the room you booked. And your room will be very nice. Fourth floor with great views. Expect a fun time.with courteous staff ,nice pools, good food ,fun times and an awesome walking beach. Also expect a quiet time to be together but with ample time to whoop it up. Respect the locals, expect things to move a bit slower than in the u.s. and have a great first time at sandals. We have never had a bad time there. With lots of accrued nights we love sandals . enjoys

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

You guys are going to have a Fantastic time..made better if you keep one thing in mind..things move a lot slower on the islands..after a day or 2 you will adjust ..sit back and enjoy every minute..it goes way to quickly and talk to the locals on the resort...get to know them..they are filled with stories & useful & helpfull information....we won't be there when you guys are we dont arrive until 3/9...this is or 4th or 5th time back to this resort..we love it...Whithouse has the highest repeat clientele..they must be doing something right..last year we went to St Lucia..but we have also been to Antigua, Bahamas as well as other Sandals locations in Jamaica..the beach is fab and we walked it twice a day..the pools, saunas and so much more..we have 8 more nights to compleate our 70 night stay and Sandals will give us a free week anywhere they have a location..then its back to earning another free week..great perks for repeat clients..Remember ..relax and enjoy it!

Safe Travels

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

We arrive on the 5th until the 16th. It is our 7th trip --- love whitehouse! Hope to see you there. We spend most of our time at the main pool by the Italian village. Safe travels!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

The room category you've booked is one we've stayed in twice...we love it! Since it is the highest level concierge category, I would recommend you be prepared for an upgrade to a butler level JUST IN CASE. An upgrade might mean the butler room without the services of a butler, or it might mean an upgrade to full butler service. If this is the case you will wish to budget for an appropriate gratuity for each butler.

I suffer motion sickness and so do take gravol for the ride to the resort, but have found that regular gravol makes me sleepy and I need a snooze upon arrival. This may not be an issue for you since you arrive later in the evening, but for me, I hated missing out on any part of my vacation due to the drowsy feeling. A couple of years ago I switched to ginger gravol and it does the trick without me needing a snooze!

We are coming up to 70 nights spent solely at SWH (the other 70 have been spent at most of the other ones) ...SWH is our favourite of all Sandals...enjoy!

Edited: 28 December 2012, 14:13
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

Gayle C: If you like, private message me with an appropriate email address for the following: 1. Packing lists we use for our Sandals visits, 2. A Powerpoint presentation describing the Sandals Jamaica experience. The focus of the presentation is on Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island resort, but much of the SRC experience in terms of activities (water sports, Beach Party, White Night etc.), things to do (tennis, off property tours, etc.) are similar regardless of actual resort you are staying at. There is also a slide just entitled "Things to Bring or Know" that you may find helpful. Many have found the presentation and lists helpful.

Powhatan, VA
Level Contributor
412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

Don't forget your own mug so that you can keep your drinks colder and don't have to go to the bar as often. The bartenders like it too b/c less cups for them to wash or throw away.

I bring a candle to take away the smell of the room just in case it hasn't been open in a while. I don't always use it but lighting it once or twice to freshen up the hotel room smell is just my own choice. Not that all rooms smell...

I bring an extra pair of sunglasses in case you lose yours or they break. Buying them there is $$$$$. If you take a lot of pictures bring extra SD cars. If you can buy one in the gift shop they are $$$$$.

If you are going to use your phone while on vacation be sure to call your carrier to let them know and adjust your plan so that you can possilbly save some $$ and not come home to a staggering bill.

SUNSCREEN!! plenty of it to avoid overexposure and second if you can buy it there it is $$$$, ouch.

there will be shampoo and bath gel in your bathroom but I always bring conditioner as well.

ENJOY!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

There is shampoo, conditioner, bath gel and body lotion in the rooms.

I'd second the motion for bringing your own insulated cups. With those we often mixed our first drink of the day in our room from the Concierge in-room bar.

While by no means mandatory, it is fun to have a white outfit for White Night which is on Wednesday evenings.

The Penthose Honeymoon Beachfront Concierge rooms are great - excellent views. Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

We will see you there Jan 6-15th!!

10. Re: January 1-11 - Looking for tips!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:15