We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Weeds?

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Innisfil, Canada
Level Contributor
540 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Weeds?

A recent review stated:

......"We are ocean swimmers and found the beach here very disappointing. Once you walk into the water up to your knees, you hit sea grass complete with crabs and sea urchins. We searched the area and couldn't find an enjoyable swimming spot anywhere along the beach".....

I have seen some pictures that people have posted and it didn't look weedy - can anyone provide some more info on this?

We usually spend most of our time by the pools when we go away but after all the beautiful pics of the beach we were hoping to spend at least some time in the ocean.

Not a deal breaker - just want to be prepared!

Nebraska, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Weeds?

I was there in January. There were a couple days that I noticed some weeds, but not nearly as bad as that reviewer made it sound. We just went down the beach a ways and found a clean spot. There were some small crabs and we did see one urchin, plus some star fish, but honestly, they were just fun to look at. I have several pics of crystal clear water and beach. I find it hard to believe that reviewer couldn't find a single enjoyable spot along a 2-mile beach! You will be fine, trust me. It's gorgeous.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Weeds?

Yes, there is seaweed. That's just a fact in the ocean with nature. But there are plenty of spots to swim along this beach. The Italian Village section of beach has the most seaweed, but the French section has almost none. If that reviewer wanted crystal clean water to swim in, they should have stuck to the pools. There were lots of people enjoying swimming in the ocean when we were there last week, including me!

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Weeds?

This has been discussed many, many times. Its is an issue here.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,075 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Weeds?

Agree with hoppersh.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Weeds?

People pay big bucks to be wrapped in seaweed.... all kidding aside..its part of the Oceans landscape...was an issue with some 2 years ago as well...but on arrival..not so much for us..there ae plenty of spots to go with no seeweed. looking forward to swimming in the sea....seaweed and alll

10 more sleeps!

massachusetts
Level Contributor
517 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Weeds?

lets eradicate all life and fauna from our oceans so the priveleged may swim and frolic un impeded by such irritants. wow never thought i would have read that complaint.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Weeds?

Judge for yourself from this satelite image.

wikimapia.org/…b

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Weeds?

Love the image Blues-Pirate!

Thanks for sharing.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Weeds?

Milandralove

<Not a dealbreaker - just want to be prepared>

We have stayed at SWH many times (so obviously we love this property) and have always known the status of the sea floor, even before our first visit, so we were prepared that it would be a much different beach experience than that of Negril. We are beach people and we are in the sea all day, every day no matter which beach destination we travel to so we are well aware. The satelite image above posted by BP says it all.

Just like most travelers, especially if you are a true all around beach lover and want to be in the sea most of the day with no water shoes, no seaweed brushing up against your legs, no rocks to trip on or wondering what is in the seagrass that you might step on (hurt a sea creature or end up with sea urchin spines in your foot) it is good to be prepared, i.e., yes watershoes are advised. If the focus of your trip is to spend your days in the sea expecting a nice sandy sea floor experience such as in Negril, you will be disappointed here.

I have no problem with a beach i.e., sea frontage that has plentiful sea life and fauna, I actually find it beautiful to snorkle in and interesting to look at the creatures. What I do have a problem with is when someone asks a question about the beach (as to me it should include the condition of the sea floor as well) and get the canned response it is <beautiful, 2 miles long and there are no vendors> which is the case but to some when answering a question about the beach they are referring to the beach (sand) only. That may be why the person who posted the review of SWH beach included the negative comment about the swimming condtions, he/she may have been led to believe something different than what they actually experienced and were disappointed.

Sea creatures and fauna are all part of mother nature and part of what makes the sea in front of the Whitehouse property so beautiful in its own way. I don't think anyone is dissing the beauty of that, it is the misconception that has been portrayed about the actual swimming conditions at SWH for those who are expecting a sandy sea floor to walk on. It may be a bit of a disappointment to those who love and appreciate the superb beaches in Negril and sandy sea floor with a gradual descent into the calm crystal clear blue sea and are expecting the same or better when staying at SWH.

When there is a couple that are looking at spending a good chunk of vacation funds and are true [beach lovers] in the true sense of the phrase to include swimming and wading conditions and if there is a sandy sea floor and to not be told the truth is a shame. This may be a determining factor in the final decision of which resort a couple will choose and it is only fair to share this information truthfully.

I think the issue is some people posting about the swimming conditions at the beach at Whitehouse either don't spend that much time (if any) in the sea as they are lounging on the beach looking out at the sea or spending most of their time in the pools so therefore blindly respond to posts for whatever reason.

Don't get me wrong, SWH is a great property for several reasons but I'm not gonna lie about the <beach>.

JMO

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Weeds?

I strongly Disagree with your assumtion that a poster has blantely LIED (to not be told the truth is a shame?)...either to you or anyone else in the boards in reference to their view of the beach...I think the responsibility falls on your should to ask a more pointed and specific question...remember these are not ocean or beach experts..just regular people on vacation....they may in fact have thought that was the best part of the beach...the 2 mile walk...(to them!) so I would suggest that a more specific question be asked when refering to the conditions of the sand..the color of the water whether or not there is sea grass..how long it was there and anything else that would be of a concern. Conditions of any beach can changed from day to day..based on tides and winds...I also am a great Lover of the beach...its the most IMPORTANT thing to me even more Important then the view of my room...the food , restaurants, entertainment...it is everything to me and it is always the first thing I do after arrival...hit the beach to swim..I have been at this location enough times to know that it is Not always like this...it differs..day to day and thats just the time we are there..I have seen it bad at some of the top beaches in the world..and not an issue at the lesser beaches...and no one expects you to lie to anyone about your feelings, thoughts or opinions...I usually take everything with a grain of salt...go prepared is all I can say..and ask the right questions......I am looking forward to my trip in 10 days...