We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving at SWH

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sparta, Tennessee...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Diving at SWH

Does anyone know if NITROX is available at the dive shop? I have my certification and was thinking about getting the nitrox cert before I travel.

Thanks

Portland, Maine...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving at SWH

I have no clue but I can tell you the dive master at SWH is Rohan Williams and you can email him at Rohan.williams@grp.sandals.com. I have a feeling he would know the answer to this question :)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving at SWH

We have dived at SWH twice. There's no Nitrox available. Not much point in it either because they make everyone come up at the same time - as soon as the first person is low on air. Also the dives are kept fairly short usually around 35 minutes. I've always got LOADS of air left and would love to carry on pottering around but they won't let you.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
485 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving at SWH

Just spent the last week diving at SWH (2nd visit). The crew is nice & fun, but the diving leaves a lot to be desired. Short dives (30ish minutes) with certified & students in same groups. Limited visibility (sometimes only 25'.

Did the 9 am dives & the 11 am dives, & the best dive (huge eagle ray!) was to English reef at 9 am. The reefs are over-fished, & many are covered with algae. Not much color or sea life. Takes a big chunk of your day when you're on the dock at 8:45 am & getting back sometimes as late as 1 pm. :-(

Have been to all the Sandals & Beaches & have over 200 nights & love the diving at SRB in Nassau, Beaches Turks & Caicos, & the Grande in St. Lucia.

Sparta, Tennessee...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving at SWH

Thanks for the information but that is NOT what i wanted to hear!!!!! lol

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
485 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving at SWH

Jeremy, you're welcome. Best advice: get to know the dive crew well (and beg for English Reef). They're a lot of fun if you interact with them. They'll also go out of their way to give you as good of a dive as possible. Just take your time on the reefs; hover and look for the small stuff like blennies, arrowline crabs, anemones, shrimp, etc. Don't expect to see large life like groupers or colorful healthy reefs. Manage your expectations, and you'll enjoy your time under the sea. Blow bubbles and have fun! Please tell the crew that Tom and Courtney say hello.

Colorado
Level Contributor
293 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving at SWH

We've done Sandals Negril 2 times and it wasn't half bad, so assumed SWH would be similar--hmmm. We're going in July and have a reservation again in Dec, mainly from all the interest on TA, maybe we'll change the Dec one back to Negril.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
485 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving at SWH

Silk, it's been years since I dove in Negril, but I recall it being similar to my most recent experience at SWH. However I remember SN being more sandy and less sick reefs. SWH is flanked by fishing villages, and the overfishing has taken a toll on the pelagic life. You just do not see any big fish or many fish at all. Another thing I saw almost none of - eels (or crabs). Saw plenty of urchins (reef, long-spined, slate pencil, jewel, magnificent, etc.), though, and that usually signifies a dirty reef.

If you're going to scuba in Jamaica, the diving is much better at SGR in Ocho Rios. I've had more fun/seen more stuff even in Mo Bay. SWH reefs do offer several swim thrus, but with large groups and inexperienced divers, you're not going to see much unless you're the first one in the group.

8. Re: Diving at SWH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:19