We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooms-Not Outdated

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Rooms-Not Outdated

We are going to be there in a few weeks and are thinking about upgrading after we get there. Regardless are there any room levels on the top floors that are less outdated than others? I saw some pictures of the furniture and it looks rough!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

Maybe it's just me but I have never felt any of the rooms were outdated with seven past stays. We have been going from the first year they opened up until this February. The entire property is only seven years old and built new from the ground up. Believe me, there are definately some resorts that have dated rooms, and SWH is not one of them. We have always stayed in the Dutch or Italian Villages on either the 3rd or 4th floors and have had great rooms, and awesome views. We honestly don't spend a ton of time in the rooms and rarely, if ever, find ourselves sitting on the furniture. So it simply isn't an issue with us. In any case, we have always felt comfortable with the very clean and nicely appointed rooms. Yes, we are Sandals regulars and the WH is our favorite. However, we travel extensively and feel we have a great knowledge base to draw our comments and comparisons from. Hope you enjoy the WH like we do and definately take advantage of the beautiful two mile sand beach, the three great pools, the numerous restaurant choices, the tons of water activites, the fun bars, the outstanding staff . . . .

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

As far as I know, all the rooms have the same furniture style. Like RandB we have been to Whitehouse quite a few times (9 over the past 5 years) and have found the furniture to be in good shape. Maybe a scratch here or there, but really pretty good shape. The rooms are very nice, and don't seem tired or outdated to us. You may find some more "worn" than others, but not sure that upgrading would guarantee less worn furniture. I think you'll enjoy WH!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

We just returned from SWH in late April 2013, top floor in the French village. Our room's contents were fine. Nothing worn, dated, malfunctioning, a/c worked fine, balcony furniture functional, bath fixtures all OK. No complaints from us in this area.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

The butler rooms i believe are all now updated to neutral colors for couch/chairs/curtains vs. The floral Caribbean print in other levels, although bedding is all updated to huge white comfy duvets vs the awful bedspreads you may have seen in older pictures. We had a 3rd floor suite in the Italian. Imo, i would prefer the neutral tones to the printed curtains/furniture, but its not a deal breaker, you're not in there that much anyway. We couldn't sit in our chair bc the springs were broken, but our loveseat was comfortable. I felt the same way about the tiling in the bathrooms, not the most aesthetically pleasing, but not even noticable after the first glance...idk if those have been updated in butler rooms. That all said, the room was clean and comfortable and we will return to SWH without a thought or concern about the state of our room.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 12:16
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
899 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

We were at Whitehouse for the 4th time this past February and stayed in a room that needed some updating in the bathroom. This was the first time we've stayed at any Sandals that the room was less than par. The tiles in the bathroom were badly stained and the toilet paper holder kept falling off the wall. While it was not 100%, it didn't deter from the great time we had. This was a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. This room was in the Italian Village, 4th floor, #1401. Both the location and the room were our least favorite of all our stays, but we still had a great time and are already booked to go back.

I often marvel at how they keep the rooms in such good repair. They take a beating with the weather humidity, rowdy guests, etc.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
506 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

Villanewbie, I was there in mid May for 9 days and found both of the rooms I stayed in (4th floor in first the French village and then Dutch village - concierge room) to be outdated and worn. I've been to SWH twice and have over 220 nights with Sandals, so I'm a big fan of the chain, but our rooms were not of the same caliber as at the other resorts I've been to.

Specifically the decor is bright, tropical colors and florals that aren't typically used in most modern rooms now. Nothing was hideous, but it was not the neutral, calming palette that I've seen at other Sandals. I'm also used to granite countertops and LCD TVs at other Sandals. There was a lot of evident use (a bit tired and worn looking and not in perfect working order) to the furnishings, plumbing, etc. We also had mechanical issues with a number of things in both of our rooms. Engineering came in to fix our tub drain, shower head, sink faucets, and to work on (but never fixed) our AC.

None of this stuff is a deal breaker or ruins your vacation, but you asked about SWH rooms being outdated, and they are. All that said, we had a lovely view (from a tiny balcony) and felt the firm bed was comfortable. I hope for the sake of future SWH visitors that more updating and maintenance takes place, and that the rooms reflect the tranquility and beauty of the surroundings.

dhryn@stikeman.com
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

We have been at the Sandals Whitehouse last January and it was our first time. We have been to a lot of all inclusive 5 star resorts, maybe not Sandals, but have experienced rooms that were maybe more impressive and fancier than the one in Whitehouse. But I must say that it did not bother us at all. We were not in a butler suite, just in an average room and we found the room very clean and the furniture was not scratched or anything like that. We did find the bathroom a little dated (meaning that there was no separate shower) only a bath with a shower curtain. But I must say, that was not important to us everything else was so exceptional and we never spend anytime in the room except to sleep. We are definately going back, without any hesitation, it is just the most beautiful place we have ever been.

Danka

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

villanewbie... I believe DD experienced probably two of the last rooms to be updated at SWH!Last April and this just past April we had flat screen TVs; this past trip all linens were updated and room painted a more muted/neutral color. Certainly if you find something that is not functional, a quick call usually results in it being returned to working condition.

Go ahead and enjoy!

Edited: 28 May 2013, 22:10
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

We were just there this past April/May, and our room definitely needed updating! The couch and the chair looked like they had been there far longer than 7 years! I was surprised. The carpet under our bed had noticeable stains on it. And while the bathroom may not really have needed updating, it was really ugly! We were in the Dutch village, and there are these tacky flower tiles that are just awful. It doesn't necessarily ruin the vacation, but when you get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities, and have nothing else to look at, you start wondering, who picked these tiles??? (notice, this is what I did, lol!) We had a walk in shower, but the tiles on the floor didn't match the tiles on the wall either.

However, the view from our room was great, so I wouldn't trade that. I personally would just lower your expectations on the room. I wouldn't expect it to wow you, and you will probably be fine. I attached pictures of the room to my review if you'd like to look.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rooms-Not Outdated

Ugly/decor preferences aside, I agree I would have had a problem with a stained carpet or dirty looking fabric on furniture...hopefully management get advised of these deficiencies in case they are not picked up on... and clean it!