We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving certification at whitehouse

Syracuse, New York
1 post
Save Topic
diving certification at whitehouse

Has any actually received their certification at Whitehouse or another resort? Can you explain the process? How long does it take and what sort of preparation would I need to make?

Thanks!! Counting down the says until July 10th. We spent our honeymoon at SWH in 2010 and can't wait to return for our 3rd anniversary.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

My husband got Padi Certified at Sandals MoBay. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you do a course locally first - do your class work and pool work at home and get referred to the sandals dive shop (I am assuming you are staying ay sansals??) in whitehouse. Then you would complete the open water portion of your certification right at sandals. There is a cost, but for my husband it was actually cheaper this way (by about $50) and he got to get certified in the Carribean sea rather than a lake with barely any visibiltiy around here. You would have to do it ASAP though (there may not be enough time, depending on when courses are run).

Reading from your name you are from (or near) syracuse? Here is a list of surrounding area dive shops.

padi.com/scuba/…default.aspx. I would contact the Whitehouse dive shop and your local dive shop.

You can also get resort certified - basically certified for the trip.

In any event, I would get in contact with padi and or my local dive shop. If you have any questions, let me know! Cheers

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

Oh - the reason I say start at home only is becasue who wants to study a book on the beach - lol. All hubby had to do was a pool skills test and then into the sea for the open water skills testing/training.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

From what I've read, what Too_Cold recommends is the way to do it. Get all the class work/book work and pool work done at home and then do the open water cert dive there. You don't want to spend your whole vacation doing your class work.

Is your husband just looking to dive just while at the resort or is it something he plans to continue? Some resorts offer "Resort Certification". If he doesn't plan to continue diving after the vacation, this might be something to look into.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

My husband and I are doing the resort certification when we are there the 1st week of July. My understanding is we will watch a video, learn about the equipment, get in the pool & then out for a dive. I believe this will only certify us up to 30 ft. and we are certified for resorts up to 1 year. Maybe someone that has done resort certification could clarify a little better. I may not have a full understanding- I do know there was NO mention of "book" studying on the beach.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

Hey JaimeMc7873, you are correct. You only do the book if you are going beyond the resort course (Discover Scuba). You pretty much have the resort course certification down! There is about 30 minutes of the instructor quizzing you on what you saw in the video, but it's done as a group.

My husband and I did the Discover Scuba at Sandals Emerald Bay, and liked it so much we went ahead and got PADI certified at the resort too. We did the book work at Sandals in very little time (maybe 2 hours), and I found it an enjoyable process sitting on our porch overlooking the sea.

So basically, whatever way you go, sounds like there's not a bad choice!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

Thanks Barnettl1984! Do you know how much the PADI certification is? We paid $70 for the resort, if it's not too much more $ and only has a bit more study time, it may be worth it!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

Happy to help! There are two PADI certifications you can choose from. If you do PADI Scuba Diver you are certified to go down to 40 feet (~$350 each). If you do PADI Open Water you are certified to go down to 60 feet (~$500 each). Either way, if you do the resort course first, the cost of it goes towards your certification.

The best part is you can do the resort course, then decide if you like scuba and if you do, the resort course pool work and dives counts towards your certification. It's really a great idea to it like that, sort of like a trial. Also, if you can only afford the PADI Scuba Diver, next time you are at the resort or your local dive shop, you can pay the $150 difference to get Open Water and all the pool work done in Scuba Diver counts towards Open Water.

Just a head's up, wet suits are $10/day but aren't necessary because it's not that cold.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

Anod - I think so - I have seen many people toting the PADI book on a beach chair.

BUT - my husband has been called a princess for never diving in one of our lakes here - he has only dove in the atlantic and carribean (I guess the cenotes in MX too). He was so happy to do his open water certification at Sandals MoBay!

9. Re: diving certification at whitehouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:16