We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

Stealing this topic from another forum!

We're just getting ready for our second trip to Whitehouse after three years and I am trying to rembember if there was anything I wish I had brought or done the first time. What would you bring or do differently after your first visit?

Island Routes Caribbean Adventures - South Coast
Boat Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Swim with Dolphins, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Nebraska, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

I would not have brought so many shorts and t-shirts. All I really needed was several swim suits, maybe 1 coverup, and evening clothes. I am totally glad I dressed up like I did-that was very fun, to be glamorous every night. I'd probably even go fancier next time. And I absolutely would have brought all of my shoes!

I wish we would have brought small gifts for staff. We ended up gifting our own stuff (properly, of course), like my husband's cologne, our insulated mugs, and some jewelry (just plain stuff, nothing real).

Next time I'll bring my Bluetooth speaker so we can have good music at the pool. We took our alarm clock to the bar, but it would be nice to have a speaker.

Other than that, everything was pretty perfect!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

bubble wrap! (to wrap up the Returnee Dinner rum and any purchased breakables)

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

I loved getting dressed up to and don't regret bringing nice clothes. I guess the shorts and tshirts were kind of insurance in case there were rainy days that I couldn't spend in my swimsuit.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

Another good item to have to protect liquor bottles are those "swimmies" that children use around their upper arms to keep them afloat in the water. Fold flat for the trip out, then just inflate if needed around the bottle for the trip home.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

Didn't stay at whitehouse (stayed at SRC) but this is what we wish we had

Known: That they keep 15 year old aged rum that you could get on the rocks by just a simple request. Husband did not realize this until a day or so before the end of our trip and he really wishes he had known the whole time.

Brought: insect repellent WITH DEET. I know its not the best thing for you but ours was deet free and did little to nothing to prevent our bites. I left with 13 bites on one leg and 11 on the other.

Done: an excursion. Other than a quick trip we took to a shopping plaza, we really did not get out and see much of Jamaica or experience anything outside the resort. A regret we hope to fix next time.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

Raisedby, we have our eighth trip to SWH already booked and have learned to pack half of what you think you need. Lots of swimwear and sun screen. We also bring bubble wrap and even some large plastic bags for our duty free liquor purchases. Don't forget charger cords for any electronics you may bring along. Bring along $1 & $5 for any off property tipping, like at the airport. Keep your passports, pens, and return air travel info handy on the plane for the C/I forms you will get before arrival at MBJ. We love the WH and stay on property most of the time. However, one or two trips to see Jamaica is good. We have done the Pelican Bar and loved it, truly a Jamaican experience.

North East, Maryland
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

I'm with the above posters who advise bringing less clothing than you think you need! From a female perspective: I packed several shorts and shirts on our last trip, and never used them. During the day, swimwear and a cover-up (or T-shirt for men) is all that is necessary! I brought several casual beach cover-up type dresses to wear during the day to breakfast and lunch over a swimsuit. For the evenings, I brought sundresses that rolled up nicely in my suitcase to prevent wrinkles. As far as shoes, I recommend two pairs of flip flops for daytime (you never know when they might break), and a nice pair of sandals for the evenings. On our first trip to the Caribbean I had an entire carry on full of dressy sandals, and I have gradually weaned myself down to only bringing one nice pair in a neutral color :) Also, next time I will bring more hair clips/ties to put my hair up at night- the humidity makes styling efforts futile IMO!

One thing that I will be sure to bring on our next trip to JA will be actual books- I found the I-pad too hard to see in the sun for e-books. Also, a plastic trash bag to stow wet swimsuits from departure day in our luggage on the way home!

Edited: 26 June 2013, 16:57
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

raisedbypenguins

We will be returning to SWH next month, our most recent stay was in July of 2011. Some of the items we always bring (even on our first visit in 2005 the year of the grand opening) are:

Gifts for staff members and their families

School supplies and personal items for the local school children

Travel size citronella candles for our patio

Orange OFF

Floaties for the sea

Snorkeling equipment

Water shoes

Enjoy your stay at Sandals Whitehouse and your time in Jamaica!

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

Two things I hadn't thought of were:

Small amount of laundry soap to rinse out suits or clothes. People pack an abundance of suits, but you might need to freshen up one or two during your trip :)

Small amount of dish soap to clean out insulated mugs. A tip from BSBGIRL! She said the bars will do it for you anytime, but if you take drinks back to our room you might want to wash them up before bed, or whatever. No need to give bugs extra reasons to visit our room!

Someone suggested using dish soap for both purposes or finding a multi-purpose camp/travel soap.

Happy Travels!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish you had known/brought/done?

This product. coppertone.ca/en/…product-spray-60

We are VERY FAIR and burners! I hated the old style of spray lotion becasue it was pump and you STILL had to rub it in. THis is spray and go - applcation is awesome. I can cover my 12 year old head to toe in 15 seconds. We go through one of these bottles a day when we are with our kids (4 of us in total). In canada you can buy 3 packs at costco for 19.99. Keeping in mind that 1 bottle can cost you $20 or more on resort. So, when we go to Beaches Negril in Jan for 8 days, I will likely take 8 ot 9 bottles. I would take 1 bottle for every 1.5 days for my husband and I. They have it in lower SPFs for tanning - the key to this is how it goes on - alot like an aresol bug spray. And it dries quicky too.