We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Dress Code

We have just returned from our third successive 14 day vacation at Whitehouse and had a wonderful time as usual!

However we noticed that evening resort casual attire now allows jeans to be worn in all the restaurants except Eleanors.

We found this very sad as we always think it's nice that after a day of lounging in the sun or swimming etc it's civilised to "make the effort" to dress for dinner.

Fortunately most people seemed to be dressed smartly while we were there but I can't help wondering if this is the start of a decline in standards?

For us smart casuals for evening wear adds to the atmosphere at Sandals resorts and we would not be so keen to keep going back if it becomes a free for all!

Does anybody know if this is just a Whitehouse decision or right through the chain?

nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code

DerJill, I cannot imagine wearing jeans in the tropics, however, to each their own and it is not against the Sandals Whitehouse dress code:

Resort Casual: Shorts or jeans, t-shirts or polo shirts. Swimwear must be covered. Shirts and footwear required.

Resort Evening: Dress pants or jeans for men, long or short sleeve dress shirts (with or without collar). Dress shoes or elegant sandals. No shorts, t-shirts, sleeveless shirts or sneakers.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,135 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code

DerJill, that is an overall Sandals dress policy change, not just SWH. I know you're on vacation and should be able to dress the way you like, but I actually don't mind dressing up for dinner at some of the very nice SWH restaurants--and I'm a guy! I don't believe the standards are lessening with Sandals, it's more of the squeaky wheel gets the grease syndrome. A nice polo style shirt and any type of dress pants works just fine.

Denise, I could never see wearing jeans in the hot tropics.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code

I agree with both of you, I enjoy dressing for the evening, and I can't imagine being comfortable in jeans in the Caribbean

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code

No matter if the dress code states jeans are allowed, we dress up to what we feel is appropriate for the particular restaurant, just as we would at home. Hubby always wears dockers and a nice collared golf shirt to the resort evening wear restaurants.

Not really sure why Sandals feels that jeans fit into the resort evening wear description...it can cause a lot of confusion as there are some pretty nice looking jeans, but also some pretty ratty looking ones too!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,135 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code

I were the same thing most nights too TP. I'm concerned about the new policy as well.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code

I'm glad you all share my concerns/views, we are the same, I wear chinos and the wife something smart and suitable for the tropics.

I think the evening dining experience helps create part of the "Sandals aura" and it would be such a shame if standards are allowed to fall.

During our recent visit the majority were still elegantly turned out but we did notice quite a few guys with jeans on, which did surprise us.

It is obviously an individual choice but I don't see how jeans fit into Sandals "fine dining theme"?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Code

We don't worry too much about what others wear. For us it's more about how people act and behave. We'd much rather be around a group of blue jeans wearing civilized fun polite people than a resort elegant crew that was raising obnoxious holy h..l.

8. Re: Dress Code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:18