We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer alternatives

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
massachusetts
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beer alternatives

Just wondering if anyone would know if we could get any domestic/imported beer. I have been to Whitehouse twice before, but never thought to ask! My husband likes the Red Stripe, but is definately a Bud Light drinker.

Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer alternatives

You do realize that in Jamaica, Bud Light is considered the import, right? LOL, just thought that was cute.

Nebraska, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer alternatives

On tap is Red Stripe, and Red Stripe Light. They come out of the same tap.

No, just kidding...although I wouldn't be surprised. You're probably not going to get Bud Light there though. Or any other American beer, for that matter. If I remember right, you could buy Guiness in the gift shop, but on tap is Red Stripe. Welcome to Jamaica mon!

My hubby is a die-hard Budweiser drinker, and was rather concerned about this pre-trip. But honestly, once you hit the beach, it's all irie. He "survived" by drinking the bars out of Crown and sprite. And he even had a dirty banana too.

I wouldn't expect to get any imported beer...I might be surprised, but I wouldn't count on it!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer alternatives

My husband likes Red Stripe ok, but he gets sick of it. He is a beer drinker at home, and actually likes IPA's which you're never going to find there! He likes adding lime to it, or getting and Iceberg. And Iceberg is frozen margarita on top of the beer. It keeps it cold, and gives it some lime flavor.

As a thought, SRB had Bud Light. When you go to different islands, they have different beers. St Lucia had Heineken on tap, and in bottles in the Concierge rooms. I personally didn't like SRB at all, but hubby did like the beer choices there. All the Sandals in Jamaica have Red Stripe on tap.

Portland, Maine...
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer alternatives

This is awlays a fun discussion! When I was last there I was told they could get me miller lite if I didn't like red stripe. Red Stripe was fine though and I def don't like the "light" beers.

Now, this makes me think forward to the pub that might be coming to SWH. I would hope that if a pub was added it would provide many choices of beer but find it hard to believe that would be the case in Jamaica, land of red stripe and nothing else haha. I feel like I read somewhere that other Sandals pubs have the local beer and maybe guiness. We need some IPA's on vacation! :)

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer alternatives

Red Stripe is not the only beer in jamaica.

There is a very common beer called Dragon Stout. It is a Guinness style beer. It is available in Supermarkets and Caribbean shops in the UK. Very surprised that Sandals in Jamaica (we've been to Whithouse and Ochi) don't stock it.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer alternatives

@JTB The pubs normally only have one or two additional beers. Normally Guiness, and maybe one American one like Bud or something. It would be very cool if they offered lots of beer choices, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. My husband would LOVE it if they had some IPA's!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer alternatives

tas0120: Are you booked into a Butler level room? If so, you butler can and will, if possible, honor special requests like a non-standard bar set up beer stocked in your in-room bar. Just depends on availability, and such. It would also help if you added your request into the free form text section of your Bulter preferences email. I've done just this sort of thing in the past, with the aforementioned Dragon Stout.

Portland, Maine...
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer alternatives

Thanks BSB, good info. Sadly I'm not a fan of Guiness or the "crappy" american beers like Bud/Miller etc. But hey, at least they do try to provide some sort of variety. I'll stick with the ole redstripe!

Lumberton, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer alternatives

An "iceberg" sounds cool. Here in southeast Texas we have "Coronaritas". a 7 oz Corona bottle turned upside down into a schooner filled with a frozen margarita. First time I saw it I thought it would taste terrible. Boy, was I wrong. We went to SGR last November and I seem to remember that they had Bud and Miller Lite for sale in the gift shop. I may have dreamed that but I think it was there.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer alternatives

You're right. They have other beers in the gift shop. Just not at the bars or in your room. So, you have to pay more.

I'm not a beer drinker, but my husband definitely loves the Icebergs!