We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

We are a older couple 56/60 planning on visiting our first Sandals (Whitehouse) in December. I don't see many people in the water in pictures. We cant swim but like to get in the water at least waste deep and just clown around can you do this here? I see allot of people talk about Star Fish is that the reason I don't see many in the water.

Also I like to go into a local town to souvenir shop, how far is Negil? Can you take a taxi or some other form of transportation safely at a reasonable cost and walk around there?

What kind of shops are on the property? Like are there places to purchase inexpensive things like key chains, shot glasses or small wood cravings? Are there local vendors that come to the resort?

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

We usually don't post photos of ourselves on our TripAdvisor reviews, so maybe other feel the same way and hence not a lot of pictures of folks in the ocean. We love the ocean at SWH and love seeing the marine life! For the best clarity of water and sandy bottom, we like the stretch that fronts the French Village best.

There is a gift shop on site but we usually pick up our souvenirs/liquor at the airport once we have cleared security - good prices and also gives us something to do while waiting for our flight departure.

SWH also brings in local artisans who set up around the Main Pool, close to the Games area - keep in mind you will need cash for these purchases and you can barter pricing. There are some very talented folks selling their wares and some great souvenirs to be had.

Negril is about an hour away. If you decide to visit, ensure you stop off at Sandals Negril for lunch - you have privileges there!

Enjoy SWH, our fave Sandals!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

Cwond, I always shoot my pictures in the early AM when most people are not up. The local crafters on the resort are very good and lots to pick from. Otherwise, nothing else real close. SWH is very private and no beach vendors. It is our favorite.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

I always pick up a few things at the two gift shops at the resort which have typical souvenirs and unique items, as well as we like to shop from the local craft vendors. I try to shop in the Colombian Emeralds store on site, but hubby now refuses to step foot inside as it costs him too much money :)

I'm no longer an ocean swimmer but do enjoy wading in the water and have no problem doing so at SWH.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

The ocean water and the pool water is not too deep, so you should be good in either. Of course you could go out really far and make the ocean deep, but right by the beach, you can wade out a good ways before you're at your waist. There can be critters in the water, so I liked to stand where I could see the bottom, but yes, lots of people swim in it. And the pools are only 4 feet deep.

Negril is a little over an hour away, and I would arrange a taxi before you go so you know the pricing going in. We used Joe Cool and were very happy with them. We really liked the gift shop at SN, too.

anadarko, ok
Level Contributor
888 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

Make sure you take water shoes. It's rather rocky at SWH.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

As indicated by above, hubby also takes pictures early so they do not have many people in them. the activities schedule will post what day the vendors come on property as well as when the on-site gift shops are open.

Have a wonderful time!!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
910 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

How much is the transportation from Whitehouse to Negril?

Springfield, OH
Level Contributor
363 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

I don't remember any problems with rocks in the water. Is this a problem now. I hate water shoes, but we always swim in the ocean; we are definitely not pool people. Do we really need water shoes????

anadarko, ok
Level Contributor
888 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

We were just there the first week of July and had to wear shoes in the water. The rocks might not be as bad in front if the French village but were really bad everywhere else.

10. Re: Souviner Shopping or Swiming at Sandals Whitehouse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about White House