We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
massapequa, ny
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

Will I get cell phone service at Sandals Whitehouse. I have AT&T. I like to be connected to my family in case of an emergency.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
756 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

My husband activated an international plan on his cell phone (then Blackberry) prior to our visit, and he had service in the room and around the resort. I did not activate an international plan, so I didn't get service. I think that you will need to have international service activated to be able to use your cell phone. We didn't make any calls, but being able to text and email was nice.

massapequa, ny
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

I will sign up for international with AT&T before I leave. I just want to make sure I can receive calls if necessary. It worked for me in the

I will sign up for the international plan before I leave. I just wanted to make sure I can receive calls if necessary. It worked for me in the BVI but wasn't sure about Whitehouse, Jamaica.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

I used my service from AT&T while there. We called through the free long distance which went ok and I was able to send and receive texts from family and friends. I activated international plan for texts so I wouldn't get dinged for each text. With kids at home I wanted to make sure I was able to be in contact as well and generally had no issues with my service.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

It seems AT&T works well at the WH. Some carriers aren't as lucky. We have converted to using our I-Pad with Facetime and Skype so we get the audio and visual. The kids and grandchildren really like the shots of the beach while we are talking to them. We have always gotten good WIFI connects there.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

We found Verizon to only work sporadically. It was after our first stay at SWH when we couldn't reach the kids for half our stay that we bought an international phone. Much easier and peace of mind! :)

Portland, Maine...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

I have AT&T service and like others have mentioned the best practice would be to add an international voice & data plan to your phone while travelling if you want to send/receive text's and/or make phone calls. You can do this all online without calling AT&T if you prefer. I always do this to be safe, in case we leave Sandals, but in all reality we rarely leave and I keep my iPhone in "airplane" mode and use the free wifi (or pay for it if not Club/Butler) to skyp/facetime etc.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

I like to check home while I'm away just for peace of mind, but keep in mind that if you're concierge or above, wifi is free. You might be better off using emails or skype. They could email you if there's a problem, and you could skpe them back. Unless you're going to take your phone around all day, you wouldn't get the message until later anyway. You also can give them the resort number for an emergency. Just a thought.

8. Re: Cell phone sevice at Sandals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 07:20