We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers, wardrobe questions

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
first timers, wardrobe questions

We are coming to SWH in January. This is our first time to Jamaica or Sandals. As I shop for our trip, how much dress up outfits am I going to need for a week. There is only two restaurents that require "evening attire." The rest say resort casual. Also, where do you find a list of the theme nights? I've looked on the website but haven't found a list. Do the theme nights change or is it always the same? Also, how many swimsuites do I need? I dont want to overpack but want to have adequate clothing options. I figure we can just pack slacks and polos for my hubby but i dont know if i should pack lots of nice dresses or just sun dresses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
161 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Hi Amanda T,

There are some great SWH experts who will weigh in on your wardrobe questions. Since you are coming in January, you might want to also check out the "Sandals Whitehouse January 2014 Invasion Roll-call, Part 2!" forum started by RandBTravel and add your dates to the growing list. We will also be first timers to SWH in January with our countdown at 98 days.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,544 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Hi Amanda...you've chosen a great resort...our favourite! Don't overpack...you will likely need less than what you think. Here are some guidelines which we follow:

1) Resort evening - hubby wears dockers, a golf/polo shirt, closed toe casual deck shoes. I wear a nice sun dress with nice sandals (not pool flip flops). I don't bring fancy dresses.

2) Resort casual - hubby wears shorts. t-shirt or polo shirt. I wear capris and a nice top.

3) Daytime wear is bathing suits and cover-ups...you can wear these to breakfast and to lunch. I bring a number of bathing suits and cover-ups...different bottoms with mix and match tops. Don't forget a hat and sunglasses!

4) If you like to use the fitness centre, tennis and squash courts or go for walks or runs etc...be sure to bring work-out clothes including running shoes

5) Theme nights are: Monday is the beach party --> wear casual shorts and sandals; Wednesday is the White Night Party & Chocolate Buffet --> if you have something white to wear, great! White shirt or shorts/pants/capris is fine...some ladies will wear a white sundress. Likewise don't feel you have to go out and buy something special to wear that night....I don't tend to pack anything specific to wear to white night.

6) I never need a sweater...but if you find a/c restaurants cool, you might wish to have something light to throw over your shoulders. I do usually find the martini bar cool at night but I love it after the heat of the day!

Hope this helps...feel free to ask more questions as you think of them!

Edited to add: forgot to mention that if you plan to do any excursions, plan accordingly for what you wear, whether it be shorts or bathing suits, depending on where you are going. Also forgot to mention...the resort is spread out with a bit of walking depending on what village you are in. Unless you are really comfortable in very high heels...leave them at home! If it happens to rain, the piazza tile can get slippery.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 14:27
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Good info, thanks Travelpair!

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Some people choose to dress for dinner every night, regardless of the recommended code for each restaurant. I would plan for at least two dress outfits for those two restaurants that require it. Make sure your husband has appropriate shoes and slacks for those, also. Then you can decide how you want to dress of for the "resort casual evenings". Sundresses, capris, and nice skirts would be fine. Keep in mind the climate and the fabrics you choose will keep you comfortable on hot evenings, and a light sweater or scarf will keep you comfortable if you get cool. Make the most out of your packing. if you can mix and match tops and bottoms or wear basic dresses with various accessories that will let you dress up or down depending on your mood. Bring a white outfit if you want to dress "up" for that activity, but it is not required and you can still participate. Also, bring a beach type dinner outfit for the beach party. It's hard to find info on those, but if you have the outfits you'll at least be prepared if you want.

I would bring at least three bathing suits. Here's why: you don't want to put on a wet suit. Depending on humidity, they could stay damp for hours so three will give you a chance to rise them and dry them. I'm bringing a small bottle of laundry soap to do a quick wash after each wear to freshen them up. Some people bring at least one suit for each day of travel. Depends on your packing style and swim habits. A one piece is good just for water sports or more active water activities, such as the horseback rides, etc.

Most people bring more than they need. Just be aware of weight limits. Pack the essentials, consider your activity levels and pack extras if there is room!

Sounds like you're in the right track!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Amanda T: If you would like to receive a Powerpoint presentation my wife and I put together describing the Sandals experience with an emphasis on Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island please send me a Trip Advisor private message with an appropriate email address to send it too. Even if you aren't staying at SRC, many have found the presentation informative wrt to your questions in your original post. Many of the slides are headed "What to Wear Day and Night" and "What to Bring and Know". In addition I will send along the two Excel based packing lists we use for our Sandals visits.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Thanks for your replies!! Very helpful. We will be there Thursday 1/16- Wednesday 1/22, so we will miss the White party. I hate to miss the White party but it is what it is. We areso excited. Absolutely cant wait to get there. Exactly 3 months to go. Feels like an eternity:). Keep the coments coming. I enjoy reading them!

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Hi Amanda. We arrive on the 17th....our 4th time to the Whitehouse. Guess we will run into you at our very special place. It is a very casual resort...however that doesn't mean jeans, cut offs, ect. Sundresses for ladies is plenty, dockers for the gents is also more that appropriate. I usually pack 4 bathing suits and end up wearing my 2 fav's the most, the other ones when the other two haven't dried. Husband brings three and pretty much wears two. Don't get all hung up on your wardrobe....just have fun.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Hi Amanda. I wear bathing suits & cover ups during the day and sun dresses at night. I find they are more comfy than Capris and work for either the Resort Evening or Casual. I just make sure that I have at least 5 for an 8 night stay. I used to bring one for every night so I didn't repeat but I'm over that now! I don't mind doubling up on some of my favorites.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

Welcome Amanda to TA and SWH. Everyone has covered very well. Make sure to check-in on the SWH I-Crew forum as mentioned above:

tripadvisor.com/…53512230

One of two pairs of slack are all I ever pack. Then it's dress shorts everywhere else. Lots of swimsuits and sun lotion. My wife does bring abit more for the evenings, but nothing overly fancy.

10. Re: first timers, wardrobe questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:18