We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

Looking to book a summer trip to 1 of these resorts. We have been to SWH before a few years ago and loved it. But we hated the drive to the resort. We took the bus there and a private driver back and neither experience was a pleasant one for us even with motion sickness meds.

Have read plenty of reviews on both resorts. They appear similar although it seems like some guests complain about the vendors on the beach and the service from the staff at Antigua. We thought the staff at SWH was outstanding. I felt like the lunch choices at SWH were lacking. They need a pub or breach grill and all would be great for us in the food dept. we like all the room choices and food choices at Antigua. Lots of variety. Would stay on the Mediterranean side as that appeals to us more than the other. We love a nice beach to walk on or wade in the water but nice pools are where we like to spend our time relaxing. We have 10 days to stay and pretty much stay on resort. We do like SWH policy on no reservations. We eat generally late each evening so its nice to just decide and go. I know we would have to make reservations in Antigua.

Anybody have experience at both resorts? I'm really leaning on trying Antigua but my husband really wants to go back to SWH despite the drive. The helicopter ride to SWH is not an option for us. We prefer to spend that kind of money on our vacations.

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm probably just over thinking the decision and should just book one or the other but just when I think I, ready to book I get indecisive again.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 hotels in White House
Elaines' Chateau
Elaines' Chateau
#1 of 5 B&Bs / Inns in White House
South Sea View Guest Resort
South Sea View Guest Resort
#2 of 5 B&Bs / Inns in White House
Waterford, NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

We were at Whitehouse the third week they were open in 2005 and then again a couple of years ago. What a difference to see everything all grown in... it really looked great.

However, for us anyhow it's Antigua every time. No long ride, a really nice long walkable beach and the largest real ocean swimming area we have seen at any Sandals. As for the pools, we spent the whole time last year in the Caribbean pool for the active stuff, and there are a ton of choices for quiet pools when you just want to read or float around chatting. We never even got into the main Med pool one time, had such a good time with the people and staff at the Carib pool... and I usually love the big signature pools.

Lunch is the Bayside, the excellent Barefoot, that nice pizza place over by Marios, the little burger joint in the Carib plaza and I don't know what else. We felt we had plenty of choices.

Staff was great for us, especially the concierge people, but it is hard to match the staffs at WH or SRC, true.

The other big difference is the ability to rent an SUV and just take off and visit a whole bunch of amazing beaches without the least worry about getting lost or getting in trouble otherwise. It's a very comfortable island to be out and about on. We're back for 10 more days in eight weeks.

Don't get me wrong, Whitehouse is great, but SAN has everything, for us anyhow.

We've been to SRC, WH, SAN, SMB, SOR and SGOR, SN and all three on St. Lucia.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

Our preference between the two is SWH (11 stays) as it ticks the boxes for all our preferences. However, we would like to return to SGA again someday.

As someone who suffers motion sickness, the drive to any resort is always an issue for me...but for some reason, over the years I seem to have adjusted to the trip to SWH without problems (and with taking anti-nausea meds). It is great that SGA is so close to the airport.

We found the staff at SGA to be more reserved than in Jamaica. The beach was great for walking...I didn't at all find an issue with the vendors. We spent most of our time at the main Med pool and we found ti difficult to get loungers unless we were up very early (mind you, there were 4 of us who wanted to sit together)...this was a few years ago, yet I still read the same in reviews today.

We've loved our many stays at Sandals resorts...we've been to all of them with the exception of Grenada and Barbados (SB booked for 2015), so I'm a great proponent for trying different ones. Our heart lies with SWH which we keep returning to year after year...but in between times we like to return to the other favourites!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

Thanks Dave and TP. Still going back and forth. Hopefully soon my husband will just say we are booking here. He's left the decision up to me and I'm indecisive about these sorts of things. Lol if we have a bad experience in Antigua then he may say see we should have gone to SWH lol

I really do appreciate the feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

Both are great resorts. I think the biggest difference is the Jamician people are very friendly and outgoing while Antiguains must get to know you first before they are friendly. Add to that that the resort workers in Antigua have a strong union and it gives the people you meet on resort a different additude.

That being said, I would not miss going to Antigua at least once

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

I would try Antigua. I have been to Whitehouse and love it but am a big fan of trying the different resorts. It would be too easy to get stuck in a rut if you have only been to Whitehouse! That place is amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

We would also consider Antigua or SEB if we end up making a change. SWH was so fabulous last July I'm actually afraid it will be hard to top lol

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
323 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

Here are my thoughts after visiting both. As others have said, nothing compares to the warmth, humor, and overall hospitality of the Jamaican people. So that factor weighs in favor of SWH. The food was comparable, but there are more dining selections at SA. For me, the biggest difference is that SA has my favorite Sandals restaurant (Kimono's) and SWH does not. I always go to Kimonos at least twice during a trip. I love the food, entertainment, and opportunity to meet other guests. For others, the lack of Kimonos at SWH probably isn't a favor at all.

I would give SWH a slight edge with respect to entertainment.

Now, for the most important factor for me, which is the reason I am unlikely to return to SA -- the beach. When we went, the beach was overrun with cruise ship people on several days, including children. My visit was in Febtuary 2010, so perhaps things have changed. But I'll take the seclusion and serenity of the SWH beach any day. As a caveat, we are beach people, so we spend most of our time on the sand, rather than at the pool. If you are a pool person, then it's a much closer call between SWH and SA, since both have great pools.

Finally, we always book a butler room and found that butler service was very disappointing at SA as compared to the Jamaican. If anyone wants, I can elaborate on my observations, but this did not seem to be a factor in the OP's decision.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
670 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

I also have been to both a few times each. If you have any specific questions, let us know. I think the Whitehouse has a better nightlife than Antigua but I like the pool at Antigua better (for no other reason as it seems to be more fun). The staff for me is the same at both but the playmakers at the Whitehouse seem to be more fun. We have gone to other Sandals but keep going back to these 2. I would say try Antigua to see if you like it. We have stayed on the Caribbean side and the Med. side and prefer the Med saide. The views are great and it is quieter for sleeping (in my opinion). We love the pub in Antigua (and I heard SWH may be getting one). Plus the drive is only 15 minutes!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

Thanks for all of your responses. If SWH was closer to MBJ or didn't have that winding drive I probably wouldn't even be considering another location. We just had the best service at SWH so I worry we will be let down in Antigua.

2 other concerns... we use the Internet to contact our kids and its now free to club level guests in Jamaica with the VoIP app and I've read the July reviews when we would likely go and there is alot of talk about the a/c not working cold enough in the rooms. When its hot in July the last thing I want to worry about is whether I will be cool enough when I sleep. No issues at all at SWH. Also I know the Internet connection was good enough for me to FT my kids for a little bit each day. I've read reviews that say its not so great in Antigua and also not free to club level guests. Doesn't sound like club sandals is the same outside of jamaica :(.

I still haven't booked anything and keep going back and forth. The minute I make up my mind something else comes along to chg it. My husband is so tired of discussing he now has said do whatever I want. Lol if I only could figure out what that is LOL

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
670 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Whitehouse or sandals Antigua

I believe club sandals is now in Antigua and wifi is now free. I had no issues when we were there with the air conditioning and we stayed in the med village. You should definitely try it. The whitehouse will always be there. As I stated those are my favorite 2. Try it out. You won't be disappointed. You can private message me if you want specifics or pictures or a more in depth review.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda