We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you bothered by many local's???

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
Are you bothered by many local's???

My husband and I are thinking of visiting the Sandals Whitehouse and would like to know if the beach is frequented by many of the Jamaican "locals/fisherman"? Our last experience in Jamaica, Negril, we were unable to relax as we were constantly bothered by the local's. We are seeking relaxation, peace and quiet!

Any advice?????

Ottawa
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

You will be fine at SWH.

No vendors on the beach and the resort is in a world all by itself. That was back in 2008.

Portland, Maine...
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

The only thing you may see (other than guests & staff) is the occasional fisherman emerging from the water on the beach with their daily haul. They aren't interested in talking to any guests or trying to sell people anything. They just use the beach to get back home after a long work day. Many times I'll see guests ask to take their pic etc and usually they oblige. The SWH is completely private and therefore nothing like what you have experienced at Negril (I've been to Sandals Negril so I know exactly what you mean).

Rest assured and book with confidence. If you are looking for (probably) the most private beach in Jamaica, SWH is it!

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

This is one of the reasons we booked SWH. The vendors in Negril (like you said), made it very hard to relax on the beach.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

They do have vendors come in twice a week and set up their crafts on one side of the piazza. However, in my experience they will not even solicit you as you walk by them. If you are interested in what they are selling, you will have to be the one to initiate the conversation.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

This has been very helpful, thanks for the feedback!

***Can anyone shed some light on what kind of weather to expect in March?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

These kinds of posts get me upset. You are visiting their island but don't want to be "bothered" by the locals? I bet the locals would be very grateful if they could get their beach back...

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

What Anod said - that said - do not worry. Any "locals" that might "breach the boundaries" of Sandals Whitehouse are promptly turned around by security. Its a perfect spot for those not interested in leaving the resort and heaven forbid being "bothered by locals" - its pretty out there (and is actually located in Culloden, just figured that out after many years riding the south coast - funny what you pay attention to sometimes!)

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

I think it's important to distinguish between the local people and the sometimes aggressive vendors...you can't paint them with the same brush. And narrow it down even further to dinstinguish the aggressive vendors vs the vendors who sincerely help you with your browsing and shopping. However, that's another post!

The area of Whitehouse is a fishing village, so certainly you will see the local fisherman on the water...some, you can arrange to go fishing with. The beach at Whitehouse is quite isolated, not at all busy and action-filled like in Negril (which I also totally enjoyed...both the people watching and interacting). The solitude at SWH is lovely...you will have no problem finding the peace and relaxation you desire.

We've experienced great weather in March...(and in Jan/Feb/Nov), but of course no way can the weather be predicted. But you are going before rainy season and when the temps are nice and hot. There is almost always a wonderful ocean breeze as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

I realize why people are attracted to the all inclusive resorts that do not allow locals to enter the property. Personally, I get very uncmfortable staying at a place that practices what really amounts to "aparthied". You can call it what you want but at the end of the day, that is exactly what it is.

This is not to say I haven't stayed at such places in the past but I generally prefer to stay at the places that allow Jamaicans to enter and stay in their hotels.

Can you imagine a hotel in London that does not allow a British citizen to enter through the front door to have leave his business card with someone at the front desk? Or a hotel in New York that turns away a New Yorker that simply wants to enter the lobby to look for a friend that is staying in the hotel.

Jamaica gained independence back in 1961 but sadly, it is a country full of contradictions, no wonder many Jamaicans are frustrated at how "tings run".

10. Re: Are you bothered by many local's???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 02:05
Edited: 02 February 2014, 02:05