We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singles posting bad reviews

Which White House hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Singles posting bad reviews

What's up with the recent bad reviews by mother/daughter and single guy visitors? Are these fake or is Sandals changing who they are selling to? Being a couples only chain is what keeps my husband and me coming back.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

Although Sandals is a couples only resort its probably hard for them to refuse rooms to the occasional single person. Because they have to figure on guests attending weddings, vowel renewals and sometimes just group vacations may book...it would be hard to say "well if your booking for this reason you can stay but if your not then you are not welcome here" I would say Sandals still continues to promote their brand as vacations for couples in love. It would not be worth losing the money and making a big fuss over the occasional guest who doesn't fall into that category.

As for the reviews...It would be helpful to know what they said and what their issues were but if it had anything to do with the fact that they felt out of place..well then thats just stupidity on their part for booking a couples resort and expecting it not to be geared towards couples vacations.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

Ok I found the reviews you mentioned. I sometimes wonder if people booked their vacations with a blindfold on. Lets put aside that the review mentioned that they knew Sandals targeted couples. Lets just pretend its any regular hotel or resort....

Do you really just book a room without checking how many beds and what size the beds are? Especially if you know the person you are traveling with may want their own separate bed?

And then as for the single dude....really? You had NO IDEA that Sandals was geared towards couples. You somehow heard of it through TV or travel brochures or the internet but you never once noticed that it was marketed for a couples vacation. Ok.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

So a mother and daughter go to Sandals knowing its a couples only resort and complain that there are no rooms with two beds??? Buhaaaa !!!

Level Contributor
331 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

They are either fake reviews or people are seriously stupid...I don't know which but I'd like to think they are just fake.

The mother daughter one just has so many red flags in it that it cannot be for real.

I don't know about you guys, but I would not go to Sandals with my mother. I love her dearly and we are like best friends but umm..no.

Oh, and she/they have been to other 5star resorts...but there's only one review????

Whatever, we all know SWH is great!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

Rachael...I think it's more about laziness and people just don't want to invest in research...but a fool and his money are soon parted. As for the single guy...if you read down towards the end of his review in the 'room tips' section, apparently he did room with another single friend because they were there for a wedding.

NY
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

People write bad reviews complaining about all the kids at resorts geared towards families and kids quite often too. Just does make you wonder how people spend all that money without researching especially when it so easy these days. Ignore those and move on.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

I personally would never book a wedding at a couple-esque resort knowing singles would be coming. I think it is way too unfair to ask guest to part with so much money to go to a resort where they would feel uncomfortable.

But, if you just book at a couples resort without doing the research. Is there a possibility, though, that sandals maybe changing who they attract to come to the resort and moving towards more of an adults only vs couples only resort?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

Anything is possible TCIS, but I highly doubt it as most of the Sandals regularly have full occupancy have little to no need to change their marketing plan. I have not heard anything in that directions. We would not return to Sandals if that direction was ever considered. As far as the mother/daughter and single situation, they simply haven't done their research on an expensive vacation.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

The single guy had a great time, by my reading. Who knew that SWH would have roll away beds? Think of all the inclusions he got to participate in. Five stars to him.

The mother/daughter spent almost their whole post complaining about the property, the room (none with two beds [holy cow]), the building, the bar. I noticed nothing about food, nothing about interacting with other guests, nothing about the beach, nothing about adventuring into the inclusive activities. Imagine complaining about "party animals" using the pool when it was "closed"; who is she, the pool police? She complained about butlers doing what they are supposed to do: giving their charges the white glove treatment. And I adore one of her parting shots that she will look for a resort where the dress code will be enforced; now she is the clothes police.

Her two stars for SWH actually fall on her (I would have reduced her's to one). Her post may turn out to be the best to point at what happens when guests do not research their destination

Edited: 10 May 2014, 23:53
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singles posting bad reviews

You would think that with so much information available today, that people would spend a little time researching their vacation destination.

The fact that she knew Sandals was a couples only resort, but still went with her daughter, tells us A LOT about the person she is. Double beds in a couples only resort??? Are we living in the fifties???

There was a huge thread on a Couples message board about the same thing. Some seem to think a couple is "a couple of people". So yes, there are people out there that are that stupid.