We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic room - advice and questions

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Basic room - advice and questions

My fiance and I will be travelling to Whitehouse Oct. 6-15 for our honeymoon. This is our first time at Whitehouse (and any Sandals) and we are incredibly excited! I've never used TripAdvisor in the past but now I checked the reviews for Whitehouse weekly! We have booked the most basic room as we don't expect to spend a lot of time there and the perks of the Club level weren't worth the cost to us (we opted for an extra 2 nights instead!). I do have a couple questions:

1. Does anyone know where the basic rooms are located? More specifically, can I get a 4th floor room? I love a good view of the ocean and don't want trees in my way!

2. We plan to take part in the water sports on probably a daily basis, so would it be smart to request the Italian Village since it is closest to the water activities? We also really like volleyball but I'm not sure where sand or pool volleyball is located?

3. Can you only get room service with club level and higher rooms? If so, can you bring breakfast back to your room from the restaurants? I'm not a huge breakfast peron so I'd rather just have a coffee and a muffin on my balcony and enjoy the view.

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
171 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

My wife and I will be at Sandals Whitehouse October 9th through the 15th! We went last year for our Honeymoon and absolutely LOVED it! You guys won't be disappointed! We obviously loved it so much we decided to go back for our 1yr Anniversary. I can't speak much for where the basic rooms are. We had a beachfront Honeymoon walkout room in the French Village. Room 3101 to be exact. It was nice. It honestly wasn't anything fancy, as it didn't have a stocked bar or anything like that in it. It did have a mini fridge with soda, juice, water, etc that they kept stocked all the time. If you ran out of anything all you had to do was call and they would bring you more of whatever you wanted. This return trip that we are going on we decided on just a basic room in the French Village which was a little cheaper, but from what I've heard from people will the be same room we had just not on 1st level. We liked the French Village over anything else. We liked the pool the best out of the 3. It wasn't near as crowded as the main pool, but still had some activities, and liveliness to it.

The food there is all AWESOME! We loved it all. Their breakfast I thought was the best thing out of any of it. We would always hit up the breakfast buffet in the morning before hanging out at the beach or the pool. I honestly don't see why you couldn't take a muffin or something to go. I'm guessing all you would have to do is tell them. We always ate at the restaurants though. There is so many different food choices there. I'm sure some more people will chime in on that,

Back to your question #2. The had pool volleyball everyday at the French pool. I can't remember if the big main pool had it or not. We honestly only went to the main pool once, and that was for about 30min, lol. We went right back to the French pool. The only downfall to the French Village is the distance it is from most things, but overall it was the best choice of where we were.

There is a lot of knowledgeable people on here that have been to Whitehouse a TON, so they should be able to help you out a little more! Maybe we'll cross paths while we are there! You guys are going to absolutely LOVE it!!!!

-Kyle

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

Kim, congrats on your upcoming honeymoon - SWH has a lot to offer you!

You might want to have a look at the accommodations section of SWH website to see where your specific booked room category is located. To get 4th floor in the Luxury Rooms, it would be in the French Village. the lowest would be 2nd floor French and the others are 3rd Floor in any of the villages. Room service is not available for the luxury rooms.

Café de Paris opens at 530am and you can grab a go-coffee and muffins there to take back to your room. Or drop by the night before and pick up a goodie for the next morning.

Pool volleyball every afternoon at the French Village pool; beach volleyball is played each afternoon on the Riviera Beach, between the main pool and Italian Village.

There is s SWH specific thread, very comprehensive, that you should consult here on TA as well...enjoy!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

Ah I didn't realize the locations of the rooms were noted on the website. Thanks! In hindsight I remember seeing that at some point, but I think I've taken in so much information about SWH that I lost track! I see the Deluxe is only in the French Village (which I have no doubt would be perfect and we don't mind a bit of a walk), but the website doesn't say what floors, does anyone know? If I have to change my reservation to a Honeymoon Grande Luxe to get a 3rd or 4th floor room I'd probably consider it... Looks like it's only a $200 difference.

Does anyone know if the resort is generally at full capacity in October? I know it's hurricaine season... Nothing is sold out yet. I'd prefer to wait to upgrade to see how much money we have saved by then :)

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

The only way to be guaranteed a 4th floor room is to book a room that has the word "penthouse" in the description.

The room category "Honeymoon Beachfront Grande Luxe - GB" (third category from the bottom) could put you on the 4th floor in the French village, but it could also put you in the third floor of the Dutch or Italian. You can always book this room and request the French village, but they really can't guarantee that you will end up there, it depends on what is available when you check in. There are some excellent views from the third floor, so if ending up there (and being closer to the piazza, main pool, and most of the restaurants sounds like a good offset), I think this room category would be a good option ... especially since you might be going back and forth to Cafe de Paris every morning.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

The Beachfront Deluxe - DL will put you on the second floor of the French.

One category up from that -- Beachfront Luxury - LX -- will get you the third floor French or second floor in Dutch or Italian.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

Thanks! I recall reading somewhere that a 2nd floor room might give you a view of a bunch of trees... I might have to give Sandals a call and change to the Honeymoon Beachfront. Thank you all for the information!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

I would definitely change if it's only $200 more. Better chance of a great view. Enjoy your honeymoon. As others have said, you will LOVE Whitehouse!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

Actually, we just stayed at SWH and had the Honeymoon Beachfront Grand Luxe room which was on the 4th floor of the French village. This room level (according to the website) is on the 3rd floor of the Italian and Dutch villages or on the 4th floor of the French village. I've heard that this room is just like the club level rooms but without the concierge, bathrobes, and liquor inside the room. We don't hang out in the room at all...sleep, get ready and head to the beach, pool, dinner, etc. so we didn't care about not having liquor inside.

This room met all of our needs...quite spacious inside, a sofa with a separate seating area, king side bed, decent sized bathroom, shower/tub combo and the refrigerator had pop, water and fruit drinks stocked daily. I just priced this level room versus the Beachfront Deluxe room and it was only $189 more for the week. What does that get you? On the 3rd or 4th floor which will provide for a better ocean view since you can see OVER the trees that line the beach. With the 2nd floor rooms, you'll most likely be staring INTO the trees that line the beach. And the 1st floor rooms cost more because they are walkout rooms. For us, we prefer the privacy of a higher floor with the awesome ocean views they provide. The Honeymoon Beachfront Grand Luxe room absolutely met our needs and that's where we plan on staying next year.

The higher priced rooms will get you closer to the main area if you're put in the Italian and Dutch villages, but we just don't see the value in spending that much more. Sure, you're getting probably a better bathroom with nicer materials and it's a shorter walk to the main pool, but for us, we don't hang out in our room and we don't mind the walk at all. What is it...maybe an extra 4 minutes? Maybe? You're in paradise. I'll take the extra 4 minutes on those immaculate grounds.

Also, I've read where people complain about the length of the walk from the French village. If you physically have trouble walking, then you're probably going to have to pony up the cash for a more expensive room at the Italian or Dutch village. Luckily for us, we're in decent shape so the walk is ok. Also, when we left in the mornings, we packed a small beach bag for the day and didn't return to the room until about 5pm when we would shower and get ready for dinner. So if you plan your days like that, then the short walk (probably less than 10 minutes) back to the French village isn't an issue. If you're the type who likes to pop in and out of your room all day, again, you'll have to pony up the cash for a walkout room (and stay near it) or get something in the Italian or Dutch villages.

This is all in our opinion here so your needs/tastes may be different. For us, we don't see ourselves ever getting a butler or even the concierge level. For what we're looking to do on vacation and with how SWH is set up, we just don't see how we'll get the bang for the buck. That could change in the future but this is how we feel now.

I hope this helps!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

This was our view from our room in the French village (room 3411): jschmitt.photography/Vacation/…A

You can see a bit of the trees lining the beach on the left and you can also see how much higher you are than the trees. We loved the view and privacy of this upper balcony.

And this was the view from the end of our hallway looking out over the ocean. It gives a slightly better view of the trees and the height over them from the 4th floor: jschmitt.photography/Vacation/…A

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Basic room - advice and questions

Congrats on your honeymoon Kim...you've picked a great resort! Both our son and daughter each spent their honeymoons at SWH and loved it.

If a view is important to you, and the price to upgrade to a 3rd or 4th floor room is reasonable, then definitely go for it. We normally always book a penthouse room as we love an ocean view, especially when sitting on the balcony with a late afternoon cocktail! My avatar is from our room on the 4th floor French Village a few years ago. You will have great sunset views from the French (and Dutch) Village.

Another tip is that when you book, only pay the downpayment and then keep a daily eye on the price of your room category for the dates of your stay. If the price decreases, you can request a price adjustment right up until final payment is due. We've done this many times and have saved hundreds of $$... at times we've upgraded our room instead, as the new price of the upgrade was only a fraction more than our original booking cost.

We are back to SWH in November for stay #12, and can't wait!