We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

My wife and I will be in eastern Europe in a couple of months. We would like to go to Slovakia, but don't speak the language at all. While in Eastern Slovakia we would also like to do some genealogy work on her mothers family.

Does anyone have any recommendations of any guide that also could help on the genealogy?

Thanks

Read more: frommers.com/community/…ixzz0iZ248MOx

Kosice, Slovakia
Level Contributor
283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

An earlier Trip Advisor poster recommended this chap http://www.cisarik.com/ for genealogy searches and guide services. From experience, genealogy work should be done in advance in this part of the world - records can be kept in a number of places so to start before you get here could end up saving you a lot of time.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

Thank you for this URL. We are looking into my wife's Jewish ancestry and upon searching this person’s web site, I don't think he knows or believes there were hundreds of thousands of Jews in this country before the Nazi's and WWII. Well at the least he doesn't seem to have Jewish names listed much on his site.

Thanks and we'll keep looking.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

I think by anyone's reckoning there were only 130000 or so Jews in what is now Slovakia before WWII. The problem is that the vast majority of records of Jewish families were unfortunately destroyed so there isn't a lot to work on - that's why you won't find many Jewish names on the aforementioned site. Try this site as well http://www.slovak-jewish-heritage.org/73.html

Edited: 19 March 2010, 20:44
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

That is interesting, because we have found in the Family History Library microfilms that Jewish families existed in most all of the villages, towns and cities in Slovakia (northern Hungary) before WWII,

For instance, in Jasenovce the Bloch and Weinberg families are not listed in this tiny village in his surname listing. Likewise, in Girovce the Bloch family has been expunged from his listing of surnames in this tiny village. Moreso, in Michalovce two prominent families, the Friedmans and the Schwarzs do not exist in his surname listings. Even in Vranov nad Topl'ou the Blochs and the Blochavos, who between them owned 3 businesses in this town, do not exist in the surname listing.

I wonder is this an attempt to expunge most reference to Jews in this area.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

Have you contacted him and asked him if this is the case? I suspect it is more for the reasons that I gave above, and I don't think there is any great conspiracy behind it. Also contact the other link that I posted for their opinion.

Don't forget that the vast majority of records are church-held parish records - baptisms/births, etc., especially in the villages. The vast majority of Synagogue records were destroyed during the war and very few records survive - much of the material held by the Church of the Latter-Day Saints (Family History Library) is based on boat landing records.

Also a large Jewish population existed in Sub-Carpathian Rus (also known as Carpathian Ruthenia) which is now part of Ukraine - Uzhorod, Berehovo, etc. Before the war that was part of Czechoslovakia, and many will have come from there, so the numbers may seem larger …wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_C…

My stepmother was Jewish from that area and we came to the same conclusion.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

I personally have viewed hundreds of birth, marriage and death records from microfilms that the Church of the Latter-Day Saints (Family History Library) made from the State Archives in Presov. Not a single one was based on any ship records. In fact the Slovakian Archives in Presov are noted to be very complete except for some later census records that are rumored to still be in Budapest.

No matter what type of record you are looking at it will state the person’s religion, such as Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Lutheran, Israelite, and Evangelical. These are all of the ones I have seen.

If, you want the ship records then go to www.ellisisland.org/. This site will give you the records for those passengers coming to Ney York, USA. If you have a subscription to www.ancestry.com you can go on line and see records from ships leaving Germany, The Netherlands, etc. and well as the archives from Presov etc. The Hungarian census records for 1869, census and other records after 1840 etc. can be found on line there also. The churches do have records before 1840 but only the State Archives have the original records after that time period.

If I, a simple Protestant Christian, found all these records showing a Jewish family lived in the Eastern Slovakia area for almost 170 years I know other more intelligent people can do so also. In doing this research, so far, I have never had any contact any churches in Slovakia.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

I would greatly recommend TravelSlovakia. www.travelslovakia.sk

We used them last year for a trip throughout Slovakia. Alena was our tour guide and she was wonderful. The company is based in Slovakia but they are fluent in English as well as other languages. We visited Bratislava, Strebske Pleso, Hrabkov, Kosice, Levova, and Banska Stiavnica. They were very professional to work with and customized a trip to our specifications.

Edited: 01 April 2010, 20:53
8. Re: Tour Guides in Eastern Slovakia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kosice Region