We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

leicester
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

As a regular on this forum, I am ashamed to say I've only ever read about things relating to the north. I am now planning a trip to the south and have lots of places on my visit list, but before I start to narrow this down to four or five I have a question for those who are familiar with the south themselves.

What are the must sees and why? Not fussed about beaches, more into local culture and people watching. We will travel by whatever means needed and are not precious about hotels etc.

we are coming in from Hanoi (unable to visit VN without a stop off here) and plan a couple of days in Hoi An with friends but after that we have about 10-12 days left to head south. Thanks for your suggestions. Jo

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

My suggestions would be to head into the highlands after Hoi An, come down the old Ho Chi Minh trail, plus visit Daklak, the Cham towers in Phang Rang and Dalat. You might also wish to visit the Cuu Chi tunnels in a northeastern district of Ho Chi Minh City .... That is if you're interested in learning how many ways one can kill one's enemy. (Perhaps useful if your lover just ran away with your best friend ... sorry, I digress.), then a few nights on a boat in the Mekong is a must.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

Agree with Steve, the central highlands are well worth a look for a cultural experience. Nha Trang is also worth a visit as there's plenty to do, wide selection of hotels to choose and is well served by bus, train or plane.

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
leicester
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

Thanks both, neither mention Mui Ne , Phan Thiet. Any reason? I've been looking at them but no very little about the. R e Nha Trang, if you are not bothered about beaches or water parks is it still worth a visit?

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

I think everyone left out Mui Ne because you were not interested in the beach.

On the other hand I like Mui Ne not only because of the beach scene, but because of the laidback nature of the place, with a liberal sprinkly of excellent restaurants and a hint of nightlife for a man of my vintage.

There are things to go and see like the Cham Ruins,horizontal buddha, Ke Ga lighthouse, and coloured sand dunes.

Its true this is a water oriented spot and a visit to the fishing village at Mui Ne when the boats come in is very interesting.

Really if you include Nha Trang and find it too touristy then a visit to "Mui Ne " may suit.

Cheer Ross

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

Hi Jo. Another vote for the Central Highlands.

Some years ago I did a 6-day motorbike tour with a Dalat Easy Rider from Hoi An to Dalat via Kham Duc, Kontum, Pleiku, Buon Ma Thuot and Lak Lake, but there are shorter trips from Dalat itself. Like Ninh Binh Province, riding pillion with a local guide is THE best way to see the countryside in the highlands and I loved (almost) every second of it.

Dalat is a charming town that's worth savouring. I stayed 3 nights/2.5 days and it wasn't enough, but I had already booked a flight out so couldn't linger longer.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh Province, Vietnam
Sydney
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

Hey Jo,

Just booked a trip for 4 friends (actually, I am now going as well) for May for 20 nights from Central to south. We take in Hue, Hoi an, dalat, Mui ne, HCMC, the Mekong, Can tho, Phu quoc then finish up in HCMC to fly home.

It sounds busy but there is plenty of kick back time to enjoy each destination.

They are total newbies and I am as excited about showing them Vn as they are about going there. The central and south is amazing but I look forward to planning the next trip to the North as well.

Enjoy your planning,

Mark

Mentioned in this post
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
leicester
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

Thanks all, wasn't sure about Dalat but if its good enough for Creaky its certainly good enough for me! Just need now to work out the logistics of getting From a to b and whether to include Mui Ne into the trip. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
8. Re: 4th Trip, time to venture south. Where should we not miss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:17