We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

The restaurant scene in Phan Thiet changes so rapidly that I felt that it was time to initiate another discussion. The last forum post that discussed a lot of restaurants was three years ago.

I'm starting with my choices and I would like to invite other opinions, especially from Ross, Marilyn, Tim, Maurizio and the other regular contributors. This is partly selfish as I eat out around Phan Thiet almost every night and I'm always looking for good restaurants.

Starting with Mui Ne, my favorite Vietnamese restaurant in all of Phan Thiet is Long Son on Suoi Nuoc Beach. However, the most popular restaurant is Gia Huy in front of the Pandanus. The food is good and VERY cheap.

In Ham Tien, a restaurant that seems to always be friendly and consistently has good food (very good seafood fried rice) is Nang Vang Restaurant in front of Little Mui Ne Resort.

Because the three Lau De Restaurants near the corner where the street changes from Huynh Thuc Khang to Nguyen Dinh Chieu are extremely popular with all of my many Vietnamese friends, I eat there most often. If one wants a real Vietnamese experience away from the tourist crowds in the rest of Ham Tien, go there. (If you're not too squeamish, try the goat balls with your hot pot.)

Andre is no longer at Phat Burgers in front of Vuong Tra Resort, so it is now a one person operation. But if you don't mind the wait, the hamburgers are still quite good.

My Russian friends tell me that Garage is the very best Russian cuisine. Unfortunately, I haven't tried it since the cuisine was changed.

Olivers at 229c Nguyen Dinh Chieu has great homemade pastas. The Gnocci and raviolis are to die for.

There are now about 20 Bo Ke Restaurants in the center of Ham Tien and they are not all the same quality. (After bouts of food poisoning, I tend to steer clear of them). Ross seems to like them much more than I do, so I am waiting for his suggestions.

Across from the Bo Ke places is a new Indian restaurant that is quite good, but still does not compare to Ganesh, which is spectacular. However, the prices are much better than at Ganesh, so go there if you want good Indian food and are on a budget.

When El Latino opened, it had very good Mexican food, but I have to say the quality has deteriorated over the past year. The Moon Restaurant past Joes has also introduced a Mexican menu and it is slightly better now.

Joes is no longer across from Shades and has moved down the street next to Tien Dat Resort. His place is still the best place to chill and listen to live music. Some of the reviewers have complained lately about his service, but if you go to Joes, you shouldn't be in a hurry. He still has great hamburgers and good pizzas, plus the only place I can find home fries rather than French fries.

Chasseur Blanc still has very large portions of country French cuisine in a quiet atmosphere. Christoph will be moving soon, so watch for his new location.

My opinion is that Hoang Vu is still about the best overall Vietnamese in Ham Tien, but Vietnam Home is also quite good. If anybody has other ideas, I welcome them.

The German restaurant Ratinger Lowe at Cham Villas is excellent German cuisine and has a good beer and wine menu.

Sandals in the Mia Resort remains probably the best overall continental cuisine restaurant on the strip and it also has a good wine list.

There's not much in Phu Hai, except the new Melon Restaurant across from the Victoria. The food is good but I find that it is quite pricey.

In the city center, the new Thuy Moc restaurant has great food and compares to my favorite Long Son. However, it is not near the resorts or hotels, so one would have to take a taxi.

The only restaurant I can recommend in Tien Thanh ward is the Green Papaya Restaurant in the Green Papaya Organic Village. The food is good, but the staff are not the friendliest.

Of course, the restaurant at Princess D'Annam is outstanding, but so is the price.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 05:12
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

Out of curiosity, by "try the goat balls with your hot pot", do you mean goat testicles, or meatballs made with goat meat?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Having seen Bear Gryllis' reaction to 'savouring' goat balls on TV, I think I'll just have a bowl of noodle soup, thank you.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Goat testicles. They also specialize in goat penises, but for these items, one must pay a premium.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

Lau De is Vietnamese for Goat Hot Pot. These restaurants only have two things on the menu; goat hot pot and goat barbecue (Both cooked by the customers at their tables). The most popular of the three is 385, but all three are crowded most evenings.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

hey Steve- we didn't make it back to MuiNe last year so my restaurant recommendations would be so out of date by now.

hope everyone at Pandanus is doing well - we miss Stardust- still talk about how great they are!.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Hi Marilyn,

Stardust is going on six years now at the Pandanus. Everybody likes them so much that it would be a real loss if they were to leave.

Sorry you don't have any restaurant suggestions, but those restaurants that you have been to in the past (Like Sandals) probably haven't changed.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Hey Steve,

Great info mate as always. Now, I need the Vietnamese pronunciation of those 2 special items. I will be in Mui ne mid May and as the newbies I am travelling with want to try everything Vietnamese and I would like to order for them. Personally, I will opt for the other portions but what they don't know won't hurt them :-) Until I tell them later that is!!!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited: 07 March 2013, 08:45
Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

Oh and Steve,

You have double posted :-)

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants

Sheath,

I always put these types of informational posts on both Phan Thiet and Mui Ne. If trip advisor would only create one page for one city, I wouldn't have to do that.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants

Sorry Steve.

Apologies for missing that :-)