We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

Hi TA I am deciding between Phu Quoc and Phan Thiet for January. Looking for

1) good weather

2) good beach

3) resort with a few activities for kids

4) walking distance to local restaurants

5) easy to get to from HCMC

Any recommendations please would be appreciated

Cheers

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

The weather in January is pretty much the same in both areas as far as rainfall and temperatures are concerned. It is the dry season, so there is not much chance of rain. Daytime temperatures in Phan Thiet will be slightly cooler by a couple of degrees, with afternoon winds quite strong in the Mui Ne, Ham Tien area.

The best beaches in Phan Thiet are in Mui Ne (Ganh Beach and Suoi Nuoc Beach), but most of the outside restaurants and activities are in Ham Tien. There is only one good restaurant at Suoi Nuoc Beach, but there are more than a dozen on the road across from Ganh Beach. However, there are more than a hundred restaurants along Rang Beach in Ham Tien. The two most family friendly resorts with children's playgrounds and game rooms are Bamboo Village in Ham Tien and Pandanus in Mui Ne. (Note: the afternoon winds are stronger at the beaches in Mui Ne, as they face east, but Rang beach at Ham Tien faces south, so it doesn't get so much wind blowing directly into the beach in January).

Edited: 22 October 2013, 03:44
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

Regarding your question about accessibility. It is easier o get to Phu Quoc, as you can fly fom Saigon. The drive to Phan Thiet takes 5-6 hours and the train takes 4 hours. The flight to Phu Quoc is about 45 minutes.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

I suggest Phu Quoc as Mui Ne can be very windy at that time of year making the beach less pleasant and the waters rough.

Owee58

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

Phu Quoc has clear water and beautiful sunshine during December & January, and more suitable for kids than Mui Ne. Make sure you book a beach bungalow in advance.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

Both have good points. Mui Ne, or Ham Tien as the majority of places are not in Mui Ne, has a greater number of options for restaurants, all within a walking distance and heaps less than the cost of places in Phu Quoc. It does get windy after 11 am if the weather pattern is that way inclined as Ham Tien is SE Asia's premier kite and windsurfing destination. The temperature is eased by these winds and they drop off around 3pm to a nice balmy number.

Personally unless you opt for a large destination resort on Phu Quoc you wont find it as easy to get around or have as many choices as Ham Tien.

You can travel to Ham Tien by train which the kids will probably love-I know the locals will love your kids !!

I wouldn't consider Phan Thiet as suitable for what you want.

Cheers Ross

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

Ross, Mui Ne and Ham Tien are wards of Phan Thiet.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

I know Steve but the OP could be thinking of the beach areas of the Town of Phan Thiet, which I did not feel suited her desires.

Cheers Ross

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

As mentioned, kids and long car/train rides don't generally mix well. Phu Quoc is one of the highlights of Vietnam, however space is limited over Christmas break. availability, which will be greater in Mui Ne, may be the deciding factor.

Good Luck

Come and Go Vietnam Team

Level Contributor
703 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

Phu Quoc....... but with children Nhatrang would be an even better option.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mui Ne or Phu Quoc with kids in Jan? Accomm, weather advice?

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. I am going to look into mui ne and Phu quoc a little closer. Brent80 The mention of nha trang sounds interesting but I thought the weather was still unpredictable in January coming out of the wet season and cooler climate?