We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

Just arrived in Mui Ne (staying at Villa Aria) only to discover the sea and the beach is littered with rubbish. Is this normal?

White Sand Dunes
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mui Ne Harbor
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Red Sand Dunes
Geologic Formations
Nice, France
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

You're in Vietnam...

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

You are staying in Ham Tien, not Mui Ne, but, yes all the beaches are covered in garbage and rubbish in Viuetnam. The beach in front and around my resort is clean, but only because my landscape staff clean it thoroughly every morning at 6AM and our security staff immediately pick up anything that may wash ashore during the day. Any resorts with foreign managers will do the same, but Villa Aria is owned and managed by Vietnamese, so they don't have the same sense of disgust about garbage that we have.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

It is common to see rubbish on the beach during the windy seasons as the beaches all face the monsoonal winds. In calm conditions normally in the mornings, the sea is clean. Rubbish is a big problem for tourism in Vietnam as there is no education on the subject, no enforcement of standards, no organised collection, and no national disposal strategy.

Having said that there are individuals who collect for recycling but this appears to be mainly glass and aluminium, and these you see stored away from the settled areas.

It is a great shame as these days rubbish can be made to be cost neutral-it just takes a desire to do it !

Cheers Ross

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

beaches next to big cities, big rivers ... have more trash than beaches out in the country side

get away from these places and find pristine beaches in VietNam

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

Not so jungle in my experience. I have seen rubbish from Lang Co to Vung Tau, and along many beaches that do not have rivers or habitation nearby. In my experience there are no "pristine" beaches year around in VN. The East sea is a reservoir of rubbish akin to the great ocean gyres of the Indian and Pacific Oceans. There are organisations that are very active in creating awareness, and this is badly needed. A classic example of this situation is the loss of MH370 where the search and rescue teams are staggered by the amount, and set off in all directions which turn out to be dead ends as a result.

In Australia there would be a national strike if our waterways were polluted as in VN. You don't have to go far to see good examples of proper management, I have in mind Singapore, but don't go to Bali .

Cheers Ross

Cheers Ross

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

from hoi an to nha trang, there are numerous pristine beaches ... oh yeah, got to get off hwy 1

and get away from fancy resorts spots ...

what do you expect with places like muine area with hundreds of resorts next to each other ... what about that garbage , from the tourists ... these contributes a lot to the garbage problem

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

Lots of nice beaches with no rubbish from Ninh Hoa and up to Tuy Hoa, probably also beyond up to Quy Nhon. One has to find a spot with no cities, towns or rivers (and therefore no littering people) close by. Hard to reach though, for the average tourist without the benefit of a motorbike or a car.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 06:44
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

Jungle you have missed my point. The bulk of the rubbish is in the open sea not coming from tourists, rivers or built up areas. The water column of the east Sea has rubbish from top to bottom and it is this I believe as in other places, is what is deposited on the beaches of Vietnam when the wind and current are suitable.

The centre of activity in what is incorrectly known as Mui Ne (Ham Tien) does not suffer from the same volume of rubbish as the other side of the peninsula, Mui Ne.

Ross

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

Ross is correct that almost all of the garbage littering the beaches comes from the thousands of fishing boats. Fishermen have very little education and they use the ocean both as their garbage disposal and their toilet.

The people of Vietnam throw their garbage everywhere, but tourists who have grown up being taught to put garbage in garbage cans are not the cause of the problem. Tourists may be responsible for many things, but they are generally not responsible for the garbage on the beaches, unless they are Vietnamese tourists. We tried to get the government officials here to educate the people and to enforce anti dumping from fishing boats, but they only said they would do it if we paid them.

On Sunday, we had a Hash run/walk along the beaches of Phu Hai ward and they were disgusting. The beach here in Mui Ne (Ganh Beach) does not have nearly as much garbage as the ones in Phu Hai, Ross.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rubbish on Mui Ne beech and in the sea, is this normal?

Yes I agree Steve Phu Hai does seem to get it, perhaps again the fleet at Phan Thiet may make a contribution. I know the waterfront market in Phan Thiet is not a pleasant sight. I may be wrong but when I was last there it seemed to be closed down.

Unfortunately for VN the people are poorly served by their government, which is a great shame because there is money in waste, if properly seed funded.

Cheers Ross

Get answers to your questions about Mui Ne