We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Hi all,

So I am planning my trip down Vietnam (Starting in Hanoi to HCM). We have a set itinerary and have just decided on 4 days (3 nights) Hoi An. But now I'm thinking where to next.

The choices are Nha Trang or Mui Ne. I am travelling with my girlfriend and this section of the trip is about relaxing on a nice beach with some good food and doing very little (Mui Ne?). We are using the train quite a lot and I'm not so interested in spending hundreds of dollars getting to places with taxis - so bus or train would be great , however, I realise that we WILL need a taxi for the final stint if we go to Mui Ne.

My trouble is;

Nha Trang:

+ Lots of restaurants, a nice beach with little wind

- I've read its dirty with hundreds of rats at night?!

Mui Ne:

+ Quiet with lovely hotels and slightly cheaper

- Windy beach? Harder to get too, more secluded with not as many restaurants.

We are going to be in Mui Ne / Nha Trang at the beginning of September so will the winds in Mui Ne be strong at this point? How easy is it to get from Hoi An to Mui Ne? (can we train from Danang to Muong Man and taxi from there?)

Any way to sway my decision would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

LOL, extrapolating there are millions if not billions of rats in Vietnam and there's no reason there would be more in Nha Trang than elsewhere. Given the large number of open air cafes and restaurants you are more likely to see some in Nha Trang than in, say HCMC. But they're there. No reason the situation in Mui Ne would not be the same.

M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

That's fair enough. I live in London and there will be plenty of rats here. Difference is the way the city looks at it. I've read that the locals in Nha Trang aren't bothered by them leading them to just walk around wherever they want.

The issue I have and was raised occured when I spoke to a colleague at work who has visited Nha Trang and was shocked by the amount of them. Another of my friends was bitten by a rat when travelling in Nha Trang and needed 5 rabies shots as a precaution.

I haven't seen or heard the same about other areas of Vietnam so I am keen to get some information on both - Maybe there are other beaches which are also suitable that I would be keen to hear of.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 12:50
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Matt, I've seen more rats in London than I have in Vietnam! Anyway, Vietnamese rats are cuter than ours (smaller with sweet little ears) and I've grown rather fond of watching their antics.

Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
Level Contributor
811 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

ignore them they dont bite .we have a few keep the drains clean and also the bins

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Come and have a look at Nha Trang and the islands. You will not be disappointed..

M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

I worry this thread has become to rat orientated which wasn't my intention.

Has anyone any experience of Doc Let or Phan Thiet? They seem to be slightly more quiet with some nice beaches?

M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

(Edit: or is Phan Thiet just just the wider region that Mui Ne is in???)

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Matt, There is virtually no wind to speak of in Phan Thiet (Mui Ne is a ward of Phan Thiet) in September and there are lots of restaurants here.

I would take a train to Nha Trang and bus from there to Mui Ne.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Agree with Steve. Take the train to Nha Trang and the coach from there to "Mui Ne"

It's worth researching "Mui Ne " as the place you have heard as Mui Ne is probably not Mui Ne but Ham Tien.

If you are looking for a laidback restful place with plenty of facilities then Ham Tien is your best bet. Mui Ne is the village north of Ham Tien and if you come by coach from Nha Trang you will come to it first.

September is a good time to come to "Mui Ne" as the windy season hasn't started. The wind is a drawcard for Kite and Windsurfers so there is plenty of activity in the windy season.

Cost wise, Ham Tien is a better choice as you can get beachfront accommodation for as little as $25 a night. In Mui Ne itself there are good large Resorts like Pandanus and Full Moon Village. There are restaurants and nightlife in Ham Tien but not as active as Nha Trang.

If you do choose travel by train then Phan Thiet will be a better choice as there is a district bus to take you into Ham Tien or Mui Ne, timed to meet the train. Costs around 1GBP.

Cheers Ross

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

I would like to correct one thing that Ross said. He was talking about the train station in Phan Thiet. There are no southbound trains that go into that station. They all stop at Binh Thuan Station (Muong Man) and I don't think there are any public buses that go to Binh Thuan Station.