We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Hi all,

So I am planning my trip down Vietnam (Starting in Hanoi to HCM). We have a set itinerary and have just decided on 4 days (3 nights) Hoi An. But now I'm thinking where to next.

The choices are Nha Trang or Mui Ne. I am travelling with my girlfriend and this section of the trip is about relaxing on a nice beach with some good food and doing very little (Mui Ne?). We are using the train quite a lot and I'm not so interested in spending hundreds of dollars getting to places with taxis - so bus or train would be great , however, I realise that we WILL need a taxi for the final stint if we go to Mui Ne.

My trouble is;

Nha Trang:

+ Lots of restaurants, a nice beach with little wind

- I've read its dirty with hundreds of rats at night?!

Mui Ne:

+ Quiet with lovely hotels and slightly cheaper

- Windy beach? Harder to get too, more secluded with not as many restaurants.

We are going to be in Mui Ne / Nha Trang at the beginning of September so will the winds in Mui Ne be strong at this point? How easy is it to get from Hoi An to Mui Ne? (can we train from Danang to Muong Man and taxi from there?)

Any way to sway my decision would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Your correct Steve. My oversight.

Cheers Ross

12. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:35
M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Thanks very much for both your help Ross and Steve.

I will take a look at the three destinations you've mentioned and work out which one is best suited for us but I think this relaxing area sounds much more like what we are after than the party boats of Nha Trang.

Thanks for clearing it all up for us!

Port Fairy...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Hi bowenarrow and steve...can you tell me when the ' windy' season is in mui ne area?

Thanks

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Generally speaking the VN autumn/winter is the windy season or October to April. You will not experience wind all day every day. The wind is there to cool the land down and is therefore dependant on the temperature of the day and the time it reaches it's peak. Generally after 11 am and starts to recede as the day cools around 3.30pm.

In the summer months the breeze is not as hard or constant and the land cooling is generated by afternoon tropical storms.

If you want good info on what is in store have a look at weather sites like surf-forecast.com or windguru. Both give 6 day forecast that is reliable, unlike the tourist sites that just give you symbols that are often only interested in giving a forecast a tourist would like to hear. On the other hand these 2 weather sites are interested in finding windy or rough conditions for the kite and windsurfing fraternity.

Cheers Ross

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Last winter was less hot but windy.

I've never saw the beach even in march, unless you go out at 6am...

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

M you need to get a look at some tide charts. It's not the same each day. The tide is 50 minutes different each day, progressively until you find it's the opposite the next week.

Cheers Ross

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Re: Rats Mui Ne (Ham Tien) has zero dogs (expected, too many restaurants...), zero cats (NOT expected) and I've never saw a rat although the Vietnamese ones are very shy and very fast..

There was ONE cat, she never let me get closer, probably because she was pregnant and looking for food.

One morning 4 beautiful kitten were left OUTSIDE the trash bin dead under the sun (I get up very late).

Never saw again the mother.

I skipped breakfast. Nice country.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Ross the tide in Ham Tien for me is irrelevant, at 11am I saw wet sand only one day with high tide but zero wind. It seems the heavy wind direction will always kill the beach.

Locals say that after May no wind, nice beach, zero tourists....

M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Nha Trang vs Mui Ne: Rats vs Wind?

Im visiting in September so that sounds like bliss to me!