We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

My husband and I are from Michigan and would like to visit Door County next summer. There are so many cities to chose from..does anyone have a recommendation as to the best city to stay in. Lodging ideas would be appreciated too...we prefer having a suite or cabin with a kitchen rather than a traditional hotel room.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

The further north you go, the quieter it gets. Are you inclined to do alot of sight-seeing or stay put and relax. You should be able to find accommodations to your liking in most of the towns, so it depends more upon whether you want to be away from the crowds or closer to various activities.

Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

I am not sure how to answer because we like both types of destinations. Quiet is nice but I am sure the kids will want to get out and do things. My husband loves to photograph lighthouses (he is a serious photographer). I like to shop in cute little towns. So I guess I would say somewhere in the middle.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

I would say you should look at Fish Creek, Ephraim or Sister Bay. We usually camp or stay with friends, so I cannot refer you to a particular lodging choice. Fish Creek is really the largest of the towns and Sister Bay is only about 20 minutes north (with Ephraim in between). Happy to answer any additional questions as you come closer to a decision.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

Friends of ours stayed in Sturgeon Bay --lots of lodging choices there -- and drove all over in day trips. Their kids loved "The Farm" --

http://www.thefarmindoorcounty.com/

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

Look at the Newport Resort in Egg Harbor. It has two bedroom, two full bath condos with large indoor and outdoor pools, play area and is within walking distance of the village and the waterfront.

Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

I'd say Fish Creek and Ephraim are probably the most centrally located with lots of great places for lodging. Don't forget to drive to the "quite side" on Lake Michigan too. There isn't as much to do on that side but there are some nice, scenic spots to visit. If you happen to be going near the end of June, Sturgeon Bay always has a Kids Fishing Derby Weekend. Some of my younger nieces and nephews really love it. The kids can win trophies and prizes. If you like pie, I highly recommend Sweety Pies on HWY 42 in Fish Creek. Also, take a trolley tour. They are fun and very well done by the guides. The ghost trolley tour is one of the best ghost tours I've ever been on. Oh, and I agree with another poster about The Farm. It is such a great place to stop with kids.

Chicago
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

Ephraim is really well located, near Peninsula St Park and in between Fish Creek & Sister Bay. Eagle Harbor Inn is our favorite hotel in Door County. They have one and two bedroom suites, some with pull out sofas. On the quiet side, don't miss Whitefish Dunes. Beautiful beach, look out tower, etc. Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

I agree with Ephraim or Sister Bay. We had a big family vacation a year ago and stayed at Sister Bay. We liked all the things to do in that area, but also went up to Washington Island for a day of biking and touring. And we had a day at Whitefish Bay Dunes State Park on the east side of the County. It was great swimming.

Pam

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

in another Door County thread you might find some helpful links for kidstuff here too:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1012027-i12677-k3…

Edited: 25 January 2010, 13:54
10. Re: Best location for family with a 8 and 4 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Door County