We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Door County

Glenview/Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Door County

My fiance and I are planning our first trip to Door County the week of May 17. We would be driving from the Chicago area. There is so much to do I do not know where to begin. We plan to stay on the Green Bay side. What would you recommend as an itinerary for first-timers? We plan to probably leave on a Tuesday morning and leave Friday.

Also, if anyone has any advice on a place to stay, that would also be helpful. We are looking to spend under $100 per night and our only requirement is a refrigerator to keep my fiance's medicine in.

Thanks!

Gordonsbay, South...
Level Contributor
161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Door County

joanneb0 - have you tried this link? http://www.doorcounty.com

The kind people here on the forum directed me to it and it has been a great help for us, specially the plan your trip part. Hope it helps!

Door County WI
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Door County

Not much to do in DC in May. The prices are cheap that time of year, you should have no problem finding a place. The best thing to do that time of year is a hike in the park and look for great spring flowers. Other things to do are biking, fishing, and eating. Most of the resturants should be re-opening after thier winter hiatus. You may catch the opening of the out door theater!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Door County

Boy that sure gave me a flashback. When I was in college, I took a course on plants and we spent a spring weekend in Door County just looking at the flowers. It was great. You should check out the preserves as well as the state forests and parks. Ridges Sanctuary http://ridgessanctuary.org/ is a very interesting place. Our botany professor used to take all the freshman tromping through to see diversity in that small area. I may still do it! Check their site to see what's possible in May. Pam

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Door County

A good book might be: Exploring Door County by Craig Charles. There are several threads currently for Door County and you could peruse them for numerous links shared:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1012027-i12677-Do…

The door county link joanne gave should give you lots of info. to work with, and your focus area should narrow things down some as well.

Here's another link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_County,_Wisconsin

Edited: 29 January 2010, 17:12
Midwest
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Door County

Door County in May is BEAUTIFUL! I know there is a lighthouse tour but I don't know what weekend that is. Check out the visitor's bureau website www.doorcounty.com shop around for lodging deals a lot of times you can have an entire condo for under $100. Shops and restaurants generally open in May but a lot of time just on weekends or Thursday - Sunday... Good luck and hope you enjoy Door County as much as my family does. We have stayed at the Landmark Resort in Egg Harbor and really enjoyed it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Door County

The drive from Manitowoc to Sturgeon Bay along Lake Michigan is excellent - much better than going to Green Bay. Kewaunee is one of the prettiest small towns in Wisconsin - genuine, not touisty.

Door county itself is so small you can't really go wrong, just drive from small town to small town, they are all great, sometimes crowded and expensive.

Pensula State Park is great, as is Washington island.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Door County

Contrary to what others may say, almost all of the businesses in Door County will be open when you go. I would look at the Homestead Suites in Fish Creek to stay. It may be a little more than 100.00, but it is very clean, well run and close to everything and most rooms have big whirlpools. You can rent bikes and explore Peninsula State Park, check out the four wineries, take a trip into Sturgeon Bay, and have a picnic lunch at Cave Point Park. For a romantic dinner go to the Inn at Kristoofers in Sister Bay, expensive but worth it. Breakfast: Village Cafe, White Gull Inn, The Cookery .Lunch:Maja Rosas, Bayside, Sister Bay Bowl. Try Weisgerbers in Baileys Harbor for a fish fry. Check out the lighthouses, but most important just relax and enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery in the country.

Door County WI
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Door County

All good advice, but I would try a fish boil vs a fish fry. That time of year I would have it at the White Gull Inn. Other high end resturants just as good woud be Savour in Baileys Harbor, T Ashwells in Ellison Bay. The Fish Creek market makes great sandwiches for a lunch picnic.

Ephraim, WI
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Door County

Just my .02 but sometimes a fish boil can be an acquired taste, and the one at the White Gull is mostly tasteless....no onions.....as a local I can safely say that Saveur in Bailey's Harbor is greatly overrated and not really that good.

Much better choices abound.

Ephraim is a great village for a base for your explorations, as it is right in the middle of the Penisula.

Ephraim, WI
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Door County

Just my .02 but sometimes a fish boil can be an acquired taste, and the one at the White Gull is mostly tasteless....no onions.....as a local I can safely say that Saveur in Bailey's Harbor is greatly overrated and not really that good.

Much better choices abound.

Ephraim is a great village for a base for your explorations, as it is right in the middle of the Penisula.