We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

kansas city
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

Mostly interested in water views, overall pleasant atmosphere, maybe even a little romantic?! for my husband and I. I believe both are within walking distance of town, correct?

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
995 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

Both are in town

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

from what I saw online both have water views, but Bay Breeze has a private beach. If you check out Bay Breeze rooms they have nice pictures of each one and the plan of the room/layout as well. I found this helpful in deciding. We were deciding between these two locations. Bay Breeze just has the outdoor pool and not an indoor one, but the private beach is a nice feature for sunrises/sunsets, etc.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
425 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

I have never stayed at Bay Breeze, however, we have stayed at Ephraim Shores many times. It is not on the water, a road separates the hotel from the water. We have never had any problems with the fact that it is not on the water. Ephraim Shores has a huge front lawn where people can sit on rocking or adirondack chairs and watch the sunset. You can also take a walk across the road and sit on one of the chairs on the pier. Sometimes there are little gnats or bugs which get annoying during certain times of the year when you are near the water. (but not nearly as bad as the horse flies that we encountered on Madeline Island)

Ephraim Shores is a very nice place. Easy and close parking. Clean, modern and the people are friendly. Clean and warm indoor pool and hot tub. No free continental breakfast but I have not heard of many places in Door County that offer that feature. They have a cute little restaurant on the 2nd floor of the hotel. It has good food. Not cheap, but then again, most everything in Door County tends to be pricey. They also offer complimentary bicycles around town for sightseeing. Nothing new or fancy but if you don't bring your own, it is a nice feature. It is very central to some State Parks.

We like this hotel and that is why we go back every year. Sorry I cannot give you more info about Bay Breeze.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

footnote: Bay Breeze does have a private beach but i forgot to mention it says it's across the road.

The complimentary bikes was one reason we seriously considered Ephraim Shores, also the two pools and water view. A restaurant on site is always a plus as well.

NEWisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

Be for warned!! If you do go to Door County make sure you don't get a parking ticket, it will cost you a $100 for any violation. If you contest it, you will be sent to circuit court, not traffic court and made out to be a criminal!! It cost us $340+ after court costs and you will not be given a chance to tell your side of the story. They are just out for money!!!!

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

Have stayed at the Bay Breeze twice and have good things to say about the place but if you are looking for romantic in Ephraim look at the Lodgings at Pioneer Lane. They are suites with fireplace and whirlpoosl across from the Marina and within walking distance of shops and dining.I should note that Ephraim is a dry town and the dining options are somewhat limited but you are only a few miinutes from Fish Creek and Sister Bay which is home to some of Door Countys best restaurants.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

thanks rfn44 for the info. about Ephraim being a dry town I did not know this. We're traveling on our anniversary so if we want to celebrate with a glass of wine or something we'll know to head out of Ephraim to nearby Fish Creek.

Also thanks for the warning of parking tickets WISCtraveler01...something for us to make note of in our upcoming travels there. That's quite pricey!

midwest
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

Hello,

Last summer I was deciding between the two myself and chose The Bay Breeze Resort. We were not dissapointed. Debbie (the owner) was very helpful to guests who needed suggestions. She has a great personality and her staff is super as well.

We ended up going to Ephraim Shores for dinner one night. I would say the food was average.The salad bar was very good and the view was magnificent. Service was great, but because our food was just so-so, we probably would not go back for dinner. Breakfast, yes. Just being honest.

The motel itself is older, and it was very clean. You have to decide what is important to you, I guess. The bikes are a cool thing. I saw a few people riding them. One lady was having the time of her life because she had not ridden in years. Also, the huge lawn in front is nice.

As far as Bay Breeze. I think it was built around 1995. The pictures on the website are exactly what you get.It is very clean, very tastefully decorated and if you like gardening or flowers or even if you don't, you will appreciate Debbie's special touches throughout .

We were there in July, so the pool was "The place to be" in the afternoons! What fun! I had never been in a pool in D.C. in all of our years of going, but last year I was. There were fun people (but not rowdy) hanging out at the pool. Oh, and as far as the "dry town" of Ephraim. Debbie is happy to provide with plastic cups for your drink of choice around the pool. She even had a wine opener in the "mini kitchen" :)

The whirlpool was nice and I think every room has one. Also, the private beach across the street is very small, just an FYI. But, it was nice. No one was ever there but myself or one time my husband came with me. I guess I really only went two times. Hatch, this area will be very romantic for you and your husband especially in the evening with the beautiful sunset.

Sorry this is so long. Just trying to provide info to help you make a decision. I would go with what fits my budget/needs.

Ephraim is in my opinion, the most beautiful of the villages, you will be fine at either one.

midwest
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

I meant to say I have never been to outdoor pools in D.C. They are always indoors so the Bay Breeze outdoor pool was nice.

The small beach acroos the street is romantic for any couple as long as you are the only ones there! :)

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ephraim Shores Motel OR Bay Breeze Resort?

thanks mayacation for all the great supplemental and helpful info. to our stay in Ephraim at the Bay Breeze. It all sounds great. We can't wait.