We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Door county with kids - sandy beach and play areas

chicago, il
Level Contributor
154 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Door county with kids - sandy beach and play areas

We (2 adults 2 children ages 2 & 4) will be coming to door county in September. I've just started looking around the door county forums but thought I'd post for some ideas. We're looking for a condo/house type resort / hotel. We found Newport meets our needs completely especially the kid play area which seems like it would be great. The only thing missing is it isin't on the beach. Can anyone tell me how far the beach (sandy type) is from newport resort? Are there other places that can be recommended simmilar to newport resort. That's completely within our budget. We also looked at glidden lodge beach resort but it's a bit out of price for us. We haven't fixed on anything yet, so if anywhere in door county is great. Thanks

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Door county with kids - sandy beach and play areas

The swimming beach is a half mile or so away. You may also want to check The Shallows, right on the water

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,242 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Door county with kids - sandy beach and play areas

We usually state at Newport but spent some time checking out The Shallows. They're really different experiences. To me, The Shallows is like the type of place I went to when I was a kid--lots of places to play, run around and do lots of cool outside stuff. There's a variety of types of lodging there, in a fairly large wooded area. Newport is in a nice area, up on a hill looking down on Egg Harbor. It's newer and is a condo-type set up. Both terrific, just different.

Remember, depending when you'll be there in September, it could be either cool or quite warm. Newport does have a warm indoor pool, the Shallows is outdoor. I was going to suggest you stay at The Shallows, until I saw the age of your kids. It may still be very good, but I think it would be ideal for kids a bit older.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Door county with kids - sandy beach and play areas

You could look at Baileys Harbor Yacht Club, condos on the Lake Michigan side. You don't say when in Sept. you are coming, but if it's over Labor Day, I wouldn't wait to long to book something. You should also note that even in mid July the waters in Door County are quite chilly and take some getting used to.

4. Re: Door county with kids - sandy beach and play areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 05:21